Mixed Martial Arts Forum banner

Cage grabbing!!!!

3K views 62 replies 35 participants last post by  Sekou 
#1 ·
I dont know about you guys but I'm kind of getting sick of this** I see it on almost every event and it really does change fights, I saw Brock do it v Randy, I saw Florian do it v Stevenson and it really can change the outcome of a fight** the only person I remember getting deducted a point for it was Tito v Rashad** I think the Ref's need to be alot more stricter on this than they are currently because it really can change a fight** Also when a fighter picks up his opponent for a big slam he uses allot of energy and when his opponent grabs the fence to stay up it means the guy has wasted energy for no reason** I know its instinct to grab a fence so your not taken down but i think too many people get away with it way to often and it sometimes changes the whole outcome of a fight**

#4 ·
You can because the momentum of a fighter is taken in a different direction and therefore it does ruin a slam** I'm not saying it changes fights but what I am saying it definitely can change fights** If Lesnar or Florian were on their back I doubt they would have got up without taking damage that night

#23 · (Edited)
You can because the momentum of a fighter is taken in a different direction and therefor it does ruin a slam** Im not saying it changes fights but what i am saying it defintly can change fights** If Lesnar or Florian were on their back i doubt they would have got up without taking damamge that night
florian still went to the ground when he grabbed the fence, and he got up almost instantly** sure the slam lost quite a bit of its momentum, but florian would have been able to stand up anyway, it would have taken a bit longer thats all**

grabbing the cage is instinctive when your being rag dolled around by someone** if someones throwing you about your first reaction is to grab onto something to stop it, theres not much you can do to stop your brain from doing that** i think something should be done about fence grabbing, but it shouldnt be an instant point deduction, we'd end up getting some crazy looking scorecards if that happens** heck, i've seen some pretty bad illegal strikes go without punishment before, cage grabbing is nowhere near as bad**

edit - whats with all these god damn asterisks?!

#5 ·
Its definetly a tough one** Brock and Kenny only did it once though, are ya goin to deduct a point straight away???

The Tito Vs Evans fight is a bit foggy, but if I remember correctly, Ortiz grabbed the fence several times and that was worthy for a point deduction**

#6 · (Edited)
Gotta agree with the OP** Whenever i see someone grab the fence, i literally SCREAM at the tv** And when it comes to going for a takedown against the cage, of course it has the potential to change the fight** They could have ended up being mounted and pounded out, sub'd, whatever** What it comes down to is the guy going for the takedown has expended energy to attempt the takedown and worked for the chance for the takedown** To have that nullified by an illegal action should be punishable right away by a) deducting a point, and b) re-starting the fight on the ground**

That'll learn 'em

Its definetly a tough one** Brock and Kenny only did it once though, are ya goin to deduct a point straight away???
They know its against the rules, its intentional, unlike most shots to the groin or back of the head, so sure, why not deduct a point for blatantly disobeying the rules of the octagon?

#50 ·
Gotta agree with the OP** Whenever i see someone grab the fence, i literally SCREAM at the tv** And when it comes to going for a takedown against the cage, of course it has the potential to change the fight** They could have ended up being mounted and pounded out, sub'd, whatever** What it comes down to is the guy going for the takedown has expended energy to attempt the takedown and worked for the chance for the takedown** To have that nullified by an illegal action should be punishable right away by a) deducting a point, and b) re-starting the fight on the ground**

That'll learn 'em

They know its against the rules, its intentional, unlike most shots to the groin or back of the head, so sure, why not deduct a point for blatantly disobeying the rules of the octagon?
I absolutely agree with you, it drives me out of my mind**
I believe they should get a point deducted immediatly**

#7 ·
Depends on the circumstances for me, I dont mind when guys do it instictively and you can tell because the let go right away but when it happens like Kenny Florian does where he grabs it and holds on for dear life that pisses me off, I really think the ref should have the power to place Kenny on his back for crap like that, the fact the ref even gave Florian a warning for such a blatant disregard for the rules is disgusting IMO,

#26 ·
lets not get ahead of ourselves here**

Rules are not always there for a good reason**

Since when is grabbing the fence any more dangerous than headbutting?

Knees to the head on grounded opponent**** just an example of how rules are there for no reasons**

The way it is right now is more than fine** You get a warning, then you get a point deduction** If they were to do even more point deduction for that, it would be ridiculous** A point deduction is huge on a 3 round 10 points scoring system** Imagine 2**** that would mean being dominated for a whole round would be as bad as holding the fence twice**** that makes sense? not really**

Ive always been against point deduction for those matters, because they are not that important** They should do like they did in Pride, drop that purse down, they wont think about grabbing that fence so much anymore**

Reactions: Bazza89
#12 ·
agree that it changes the outcome sometimes** but the cage is there - most of the time it's just a natural reaction to crab something, same thing happens in the ring with rope grabbing**
People subconsciously grab whatever is out-there sometimes it's thin air :)

The only way to go is make cage out of fiberglass or something :dunno:

#17 ·
it really can change the outcome of a fight** it sometimes changes the whole outcome of a fight**
Im not saying it changes fights but what i am saying it defintly can change fights**
So to be clear, it can change fights, right? :D

In all seriousness, I think it should be a warning the first time, no matter how minor the grab, and 1 point off the second time, no matter how minor the grab**

#22 ·
After the first offense, the fighters should be placed on the ground with the offender on his back and the other fighter in his guard (Unless of course the other fighter chooses not to move it to the ground**) I say this because if the person being taken down goes to grab the fence, chances are they were goin down anyway**

On the second offense a point should be deducted and the fight should again be moved to the ground**

I can see these rules being very effective in the octagon** Of course it'll suck for the first few guys who grab the fence, but they won't be so eager to reach for the fence in later bouts**

#29 ·
Yeah good idea :thumbsdown:

lets not get ahead of ourselves here**

Rules are not always there for a good reason**

Since when is grabbing the fence any more dangerous than headbutting?

Knees to the head on grounded opponent**** just an example of how rules are there for no reasons**

The way it is right now is more than fine** You get a warning, then you get a point deduction** If they were to do even more point deduction for that, it would be ridiculous** A point deduction is huge on a 3 round 10 points scoring system** Imagine 2**** that would mean being dominated for a whole round would be as bad as holding the fence twice**** that makes sense? not really**

Ive always been against point deduction for those matters, because they are not that important** They should do like they did in Pride, drop that purse down, they wont think about grabbing that fence so much anymore**
I like this idea though, a point can be a bit harsh if it's just a small grab but I'd be all for 10% of their purse going**

One thing you'd have to be careful of though is when you see refs giving warnings for grabbing the fence and a fighter has his hand on it but is clearly just pussing off of it** I suppose with purse deductions though this could be appealed after the fight wheres with point deductions once its given it has to be final**

#30 ·
I have the solution to all of this: Get rid of the cage**

Why? Well for one people won't be able to grab it if it's not there, but also, people won't be able to press their oppenent up against the cage for minutes on end**

How is using the cage to pin your opponent any better than grabbing the cage? If the cage can be used for offensive purposes, why not defensive?

Now, am I seriously suggesting that the UFC switch to using a ring? No, but it's one of the few ways to stop all the fuss over cage grabbing**

#33 ·
Yeah cos you never see fighters grab the ropes or pin the other fighter against them****** oh wait**

Although it favours wrestlers the cage is the better alternative to the ring IMO** Not many orgs other than Pride have succesfully controlled rope grabbing (mainly cos they had about five people slapping the fighters hands away) and even then you have numerous restarts in the centre of the ring**

#46 · (Edited)
I've always thought that would be a good cage replacement**

To me it didn't look like Brock actually did grab the cage when Randy was somewhat lifting him** Though he clearly grabbed it after probably thinking Randy would try again**

And didn't one of the guys on TUF hurt his hand from grabbing or getting his fingers stuck in the cage?

#41 ·
Any MMA fighter would know that it's instinctive to grab the fence when you are about to be taken down** No matter how hard you try, if there is a fence near you, it's always instinctive to grab it**

Some do it more than others, but I really don't see why someone should get angry unless a fighter pulls a Tito and grabs it multiple times**

#42 ·
What's up with these asterix? *****?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.