Mixed Martial Arts Forum banner

Fighters with leverage (who matter) in the UFC

4K views 61 replies 26 participants last post by  stitch1z 
#1 ·
I thought this was a pretty good article and I am curious what other fighters some of you guys would add to this list.

http://mma.fanhouse.com/2008/11/20/when-jon-fitch-lost-to-georges-st-pierre-he-lost-his-leverage/

The lesson that Jon Fitch learned when he lost his job with the UFC is a simple one: If you're a big enough draw to fight in the main event of a pay-per-view, you've got some leverage with UFC. If you're not, you don't.

In the case of Fitch, he had his chance when he was in the main event at UFC 87, where he lost to Georges St. Pierre. If he had won that fight, he'd be the UFC welterweight champion of the world, and the UFC wouldn't be so quick to cut him loose for refusing to sign over the rights to his name and likeness in a video game. By losing that fight, he lost any leverage. He's just not a big enough draw for the UFC to care all that much about losing him.

This isn't a judgment about who's right and who's wrong on the merits in the dispute between Fitch and the UFC. It's just the reality of the business: There are a handful of fighters who make enough money for the UFC that the UFC can't afford to cut them loose. Fitch is not in that handful.

I got to thinking about how many fighters who are so important to the promotion that they have real leverage with the UFC, and I could only come up with 14. My list is below. I'm curious to hear yours.

Michael Bisping
Randy Couture
Rashad Evans
Forrest Griffin
Matt Hughes
Rampage Jackson
Brock Lesnar
Chuck Liddell
Frank Mir
Antonio Rodrigo Nogueira
B.J. Penn
Anderson Silva
Wanderlei Silva
Georges St. Pierre

#7 ·
Tito's conract ran out and neither side had a serisous desire to work out a new one he was never "cut",

I would add Rich Franklin to that list though, Franklin is beloved by the fans and even when they were in Canada the fans loved him and they werent very welcoming off very many other Americans.

#8 ·
im surprised rich franklin didn't get a mention, he's twice the draw frank mir will ever be. you can add in dan henderson as well. i would say sean sherk, but im not sure he's that big of a draw to casual fans.

#14 ·
I may get flamed for this but I just don't think that Randy Couture has "leverage" with the the UFC. He is a UFC icon, he's held titles and he's popular.

But if he had the type of leverage that this article is speaking of he would have been appeased the first time and not left to Affliction.

I'd have to say that ATM leverage goes to..

1.) Anderson Silva (Dana would never give this guy up)

2.) GSP (His trainers have openly talked bad about Dana and he's received no backlash from it. Were talking about Dana White, no extreme response is unheard of from this guy.)

3) Forrest Griffen (The first TUF contestant to really climb from the bottem to the top and add validity to TUF)

4.) Chuck Liddell (We've always known this)

5.) Wanderlei Silva (if he beats Page) if not, they could try to write him off as never being as good as he once was

6.) B.J. Penn

7.) Brock Lesnar (He's being groomed make no mistake)

8.) Thiago Alves (His prescense is undeniable, plus Dana loves talking about him)

9.) Michael Bisbing (He always gets good shows and it looks as if Dana genuinly likes the guy)

10.) I'm at a loss for #10. It's not easy to have leverage with the UFC

Once again leverage in the sense that I'm talking about it is being able to have an angle to succussfully negotiate with against Dana and the UFC. Maybe I'm wrong?:dunno:

Reactions: Royce
#23 ·
Michael Bisping
XXX Randy Couture XXX
XXX Rashad Evans XXX
Forrest Griffin
XXX Matt Hughes XXX
Rampage Jackson
Brock Lesnar
Chuck Liddell
Frank Mir
XXX Antonio Rodrigo Nogueira XXX
B.J. Penn
Anderson Silva
Wanderlei Silva
Georges St. Pierre

ADD

I might get some flack for this but i think that Mike Swick belongs to that list. He is the only one in AKA who recieved a different contract then the other. Why?? Probably that the UFC thinks his a good draw and i believe for someone who has not fought for a title, he is one of the best.

#31 ·
Mir doesn't belong on the list neither does Nogueira.

Now in an MMA sense the UFC can't lose BJ, or Anderson even though neither one is a draw.

But most other fighters who aren't draws IMO Dana would be willing to cut.

#33 ·
Chuck (big numbers, close friend of Dana's)
Bisping (Need him to expand into the UK)
Lesnar (HW Champ, draws massive numbers/ESPN coverage)
BJ (LW Champ, long history, p4p fighter)
Anderson (MW champ, regarded as #1 p4p by UFC)
GSP (WW champ, big numbers, p4p fighter)

Everyone else? Not safe should push come to shove. Randy was the friken HW champ and beloved by fans and that wasn't enough to help him. LHW is so stacked that Forrest, Wandy, Page, Rashad could go away. Mir? Gimma a break! NOG, not well known. Hughes, not the fighter he once was....his stock is down.

#53 ·
Chuck (big numbers, close friend of Dana's)
Bisping (Need him to expand into the UK)
Lesnar (HW Champ, draws massive numbers/ESPN coverage)
BJ (LW Champ, long history, p4p fighter)
Anderson (MW champ, regarded as #1 p4p by UFC)
GSP (WW champ, big numbers, p4p fighter)

Everyone else? Not safe should push come to shove. Randy was the friken HW champ and beloved by fans and that wasn't enough to help him. LHW is so stacked that Forrest, Wandy, Page, Rashad could go away. Mir? Gimma a break! NOG, not well known. Hughes, not the fighter he once was....his stock is down.
In other words, as long as he doesn't rock the boat. Kinda my point.

First of all Whack...sorry Flak I find it humorus that Toxic corrected you and your callin me out for agreeing...read your earlier post I put it right above for your convienience...Uhhmmm lhw is so stacked that Forrest Wandy Page and rashaad could go away.....

Did you not write that?:confused02:

My point since you werent able to connect the dots is that Forrest rose to the top from TUF he will never be cut cuz he stands as a symbol that TUF fighters can be a success in the UFC......even if he were to lose the Belt....

The fact that you reference Randy as a champ and not being safe..... doesnt imply that because Forrest is the champ now he is safe.....then your next sentence was "lhw is so stacked that Forrest wandy page and Rashaad could go away".....

So WTF are you really tryin to say since you dont appear to know.... :dunno: What does kinda my point mean....kinda your point implies that Forrest could go......again read above you are the person that wrote it....... Seriously get a clue before you correct people that 1 werent even talkin to you and 2 didnt make your point but rather stated somthing that totally contradicted your point and posting it.....

#34 ·
Flak Dana isnt ever letting Forrest go, he is TUF 1 winner the current LHW champ, Id argue considering TUF 1 finale is basically recognized as the turning point in the UFC as a buisiness, I mean Forrest probably has as much pull as anyone at this point.

Reactions: Xerxes
#36 ·
Agreed totally...Forrest is in good shape with dana and the UFC and as long as Forrest attitude stays the way it is he's fine...not greedy in other words...

But honestly, wouldn't you have said the same thing about Tito? It seems like Dana's head has gotten so big, it doesn't matter who he cuts, just who he choses to fight. I know I may have a pessimistic way of looking at things, but this is really what the UFC may turn into if it continues on the path it has been.
No Cornbread I wouldnt say that about Tito cuz Tito was a total pain in Dana's ass.....Tito is Over-rated...thats a fact he's not a top ten lhw yet he demands better money than top ten lhw's and he's def declining...always running that mouth ....I def understand Dana....with that said I believe Dana's head is getting too big but in this case I feel Dana was more in the right.....:thumb02:

#35 ·
But honestly, wouldn't you have said the same thing about Tito? It seems like Dana's head has gotten so big, it doesn't matter who he cuts, just who he choses to fight. I know I may have a pessimistic way of looking at things, but this is really what the UFC may turn into if it continues on the path it has been.

#40 ·
The UFC doesnt care about who deserves or not to get a shot. When they say "we put on fights that fans want to see" they mean "we put on fights that sell the most PPVs", nothing else. This is the main reason why Brock got his shot so early.

All the UFC does is put together fights we are willing to pay for, they're not to blame.

#43 ·
The UFC doesnt care about who deserves or not to get a shot. When they say "we put on fights that fans want to see" they mean "we put on fights that sell the most PPVs", nothing else. This is the main reason why Brock got his shot so early.

All the UFC does is put together fights we are willing to pay for, they're not to blame.
Surely that is the same thing.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.