MMA Forum - UFC Forums - UFC Results - MMA Videos - View Single Post - Roman-Greco In MMA

View Single Post

Old 07-01-2006, 11:44 AM   #17 (permalink)
The Don
Welterweight

The Don is just really niceThe Don is just really niceThe Don is just really niceThe Don is just really niceThe Don is just really niceThe Don is just really niceThe Don is just really niceThe Don is just really niceThe Don is just really niceThe Don is just really niceThe Don is just really nice
Quote:
Originally Posted by Onganju
Wow... I can't believe you said that.

Actually, from my own experience (and from feedback from a lot of BJJ guys who roll on a regular basis) the main strengths of a lot of Amateur Wrestlers (Greco-Roman, Freestyle, Folkstyle/Collegiate) is comprised of 3 things:

1) Takedowns: Lots of trained takedown skills and takedown defense.
2) Riding and control ability ("trying to pin someone" as you would say).
3) Endurance and strength.

A lot of the guys that I've rolled with, have always mentioned that rolling with a guy who has wrestled seriously for an extended period of time is just a hell of an ordeal. Usually guys that keep up with their wrestling tend to always be in some sort of shape, usually better than a lot of guys who just limit their training to just 90 minutes a day, 3 days a week. These are guys who are used to training 2.5 hours a day, 5 days out of the week and it makes a huge difference.

The other thing that's always noted, is that staying upright and getting a wrestler off of you can be a bitch to deal with. Takedowns are a given, and can be brutal. What really sucks is getting rode out for 5 to 12 minutes where you aren't given a lot of breathing room or opportunities to sweep, all the while you're burning loads of energy. This is where a lot of wrestlers shine, the greatest example of which was Gracie vs Hughes. Once Matt had him down, he wasn't going to let Royce back up.

Now, a lot of wrestlers tend to do a lot of things that don't make too much sense in submissions. A lot of times they tend to forget where their arms, legs, or head is at which just baits submissions. The other bad habit that they have is that they tend to be all to eager to roll up on their stomache and give thier back (which is normally suicidal in submissions).

However, good wrestlers that are familiar with submissions are just dangerous guys. Good examples can be seen in Dave Terell vs Evan Tanner, Quinton Jackson vs Ricardo Arona, and (as mentioned before) Mat Hughes vs Royce Gracie. Once they got the BJJ guy on their back, they rode them out while punishing them, quickly adjusting to their movements while pounding away.

The truth is that in a real fight, if you're the guy on the bottom you're at a grave disadvantage. Where BJJ is so good, is that it allows you to attack from the bottom. What I think is even better about BJJ: It teaches you to move to a better position first before you attack. Sure being able to submit from the ground is good... But being able to sweep and then submit or attack from a dominant position is even better.

Hmmm Guess I never looked at it from that point of view. Best wrestler of that style went to the states a few times but I owned him.. So I guess I had a bad representation of it.. but I can see what you mean and it makes sense. just in the past I never had a problem defeating a wrestling guy, espically if that was all they knew. now I did not always beat them quickly but when it was over there was no question they lost.

My BJJ and MMA Blog

BJJ Board

Use No Way as Way, Have No Limitation as Limitation.
Vincere Vel Mori

Yea I still exist.
The Don is offline   Reply With Quote