Mixed Martial Arts Forum banner

Who has the best Heavyweight division?

2K views 24 replies 19 participants last post by  Suizida 
#1 ·
First off Affliction has the best HW, but I'm talking top to bottom. I looked at the rankings on five ounces of pain, mma weekly, and sherdog. Affliction's fighters that were ranked in the top 10 by any of the sites were:

Affliction:

1. Fedor
2. Barnett
3. Arlovski
4. Sylvia
5. Rothwell.

UFC:

1. Nogueira
2. Lesnar
3. Couture
4. Gonzaga
5. dos Santos

While Affliction has more guys at the top, they both have arguably five top 10 HWs. If you look at the other guys that have potential in the 2 divisions, the UFC definitely has more talent.

The only other Hw's Affliction has are Nelson, Rizzo, Goodridge, and Buentello.

The UFC has Carwin, Velasquez, Herring, McCully, Mir, O'brien, and Kongo.

See less See more
#2 · (Edited)
I don't believe dos Santos should be considered a top 10 for beating Werdum who is in the 6-10 range.

Affliction has 3 of the top 5 HW fighters in the world---Fedor, Barnett, and Arlovski, whereas the UFC has Nog and Couture (who may not even be considered top 5 right now). All the fighters in the top 10 are great, but I still think the creme de la creme of HWs is in Affliction's stable.

#11 ·
yeah agreed. After Fedor vs. Arlovski, Fedor vs. Barnett, Arlovski vs. Barnett -fights there is nothing new left to show really (well Sylvia I suppose, but who seriously cares about Sylvia anymore? ^^).
Affliction can indeed pull "best HW card ever" like they did with "Banned", but ufc has so many more interesting guys overall even if all of them aren't main even material yet. Hell, without Fedor Affliction can't even hold an event at all, shows how weak their division overall is.

#8 ·
I'd say Affliction- they have the top guys- plus Werdum is hopefully on his way. Cain might have to leave the UFC because of the video game crap.

Dos Santos- though I find him interesting he only has one win in the UFC- see Houston Alexander before glossing too much before seeing what might happpen down the line.​

#10 ·
Its not even close! Affliction kicks the UFC's ass when it comes to the HW division.

Just the fact that Brock Lesnar got a title shot after coming off a loss to Frank Mir and then beating a middle tier fighter should give testament to how weak the UFC HW division really is.

Reactions: Walker
#12 ·
Affliction:
Fedor
Arlovski
Sylvia
Barnett
Aleks
Possibly Werdum
Rizzo
Rothwell
Access to M-1 contenders

UFC:
Big Nog
Randy
Lesnar
Mir
Gonzaga
Kongo
Access to a TUF: HW addition if that ever happens.

Dream:
Sergie
Hunt
Cro Cop
Overeem
Any K-1 HW that wants to fight MMA

Affliction, easily.

#14 ·
I agree that the top of the Affliction division is way better. However Affliction has little depth to their division. As others have said what's the future look like after Fedor vs Arlovski/Barnett. Do we have to watch Fedor vs Rothwell? In all honesty I don't think that they'll be doing mma ppvs that long. Also I find it funny that most people are already counting Werdum in the Affliction column. People are saying that dos Santos shouldn't be a top 10 HW for beating a top 10 HW like Werdum, but Rothwell who has never beaten a top 10 HW should? The bottom line is that the HW division lacks talent as a whole.

#17 ·
Affliction has the better current crop of HW's but the roster outside of Rothwell is long established talent that has peaked out so to say while the UFC's division is currently weaker they have a vast group of very promising up and coming fighters, there are few current greats in the HW division and I kind of look at it as Affliction has the stars of yesterday and the UFC the stars of tommorow.

Reactions: rockybalboa25
#24 ·
The UFC deffinitly has the stronger and deeper division. Affliction has more of a challenger of the month club type thing going.

UFC:
Minotauro Nogueira
Randy Couture
Brock Lesner
Frank Mir
Gabriel Gonzaga
Cheick Kongo
Junior Dos Santos
Heath Herring
Cain Valasquez
Shane Carwin
Antoni Hardonk
Eddie Sanchez
Jake O'Brien
Mustapha Al-Turk
Christian Wellisch
Justin McCully
Neil Wain
Dan Evenson
Mark Burch
Pat Berry

Thats 20 guy's in total.

Affliction:
Fedor Emelianeko
Andre Arlovski
Josh Barnett
Aleks Emelianeko
Paul Buentello
Pedro Rizzo
Kiril Sidelnikov

Tim Sylvia and Ben Rothwell are free agents that aren't signed to Affliction.

So unless I'm missing anyone that leaves a total of 7 fighters in the division. Most of whom have already fought or won't fight each other. Thats not much of a division besides a few noteworthy fights.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.