Mixed Martial Arts Forum banner

Fight Etiquette

7K views 54 replies 32 participants last post by  truebluefan 
#1 ·
I was at a party this past weekend. Lots of alcohol, everyone was drinking etc. There is a little scuffle over god knows what and a fight is quickly broken up. Later that night 2 of those same guys are fighting outside and a lot of people are watching, the guy who is winning the fight gets sucker punched by one of the guy hes fighting friends. He get knocked down and the guy kicks him in the head.

I've put my drink down at this point to stop the fight and the guy who was losing the fight and his friend proceed to the ever living shit kicked out of them by the 10 or 15 guys watching. Im trying to now protect the two guys who cheap shotted the guy. To no avail, ive never seen anyone get a beating that bad and live. The guy who got cheap shotted and knocked out is back on his feet and stomping their genitals.

Man ive been in fights before but it made me sick at my stomach. There should be some guidelines or something to avoid this kind of stuff. You would expect more from the human race.

Reactions: TheIceMan222
#3 ·
I was at a party this past weekend. Lots of alcohol, everyone was drinking etc. There is a little..... You would expect more from the human race.
No such thing as universal "fight etiquette" when it comes to human beings, especially when they're not in a controlled environment. There is of course personal fight etiquette, but that does not apply across the board. Especially when human beings are grouped up in mobs, then it becomes all to easy to follow in the steps of another. Also, if you throw alcohol in there, well that's just like smoking at the gas pump.

#4 ·
word

drunken street fight...not like the ring man no rules at all....do whatever it takes to get the other guy off you and get the **** outta there....i was in malaysia the other month and my 2 friends and i got jumped at a bar by like 20 locals who hated foreingers...i do mma and one guy is a football player and one guy is a pro skier...so pretty athletic around the board but **** we we're running down the street throwing chairs dodging all these guys just to get outta there...they were wild...picked up a chair and smacked my buddy in the head with it i'm lucky we didn't get stabbed...you mix booze and bad attitude together you're in trouble

#5 ·
I think it's more fun when you get a situation like that. More exciting or whatever. Of course, I've never had a problem defending myself, and any time I ever picked a fight with more than a few guys I always had the option to beat feet and get the hell out of there.

That being said, I don't go after 'cheap shots' unless there's a weapon involved or someone's life is in danger. I don't gang up on people, I'll help someone if they're getting ganged up on (only if they're getting their ass kicked) and I don't break up fights unless one guy is clearly out and the other one's still hitting him.

#6 ·
That stuff is sickening, dude. That's why I wish they would legalize marijuana! You never get jumped by 15 stoned dudes.

Truth of the matter, though... I train, am an excellent striker (particularly in comparison to some drunken street fighter, lol), and scenarios like the one you have described is why I'm a gun toting asshole.

The whole idea of fighting to settle any level of verbal dispute is retarded anyway, IMO.

Do it for sport or don't do it at all.

#7 ·
Why was you watching in the first place? and why did you get involved?

Over years of experience of living in rough areas and knowing scum people and watching them do filthy things such as have fights pissed/coked up i've learnt its just best to keep out of it.
Sure if someone attacks your family or yourself, defend yourself and your family. your friends who are vulnerable need help... provide help.

Anyone else can go **** themselves, sad attitude i know but if they were sober not having arguments and agreeing to fights in/outside bars they wouldn't be in that predicament.
I can fight, yet i've walked away from loads of challanges, doesn't dampen my ego.

#9 ·
Sucks that happend for sure. No matter how much fun and how well your night is going at a party, some jack asses can ruin the fun for everyone! 99% of the time they are drunk and get in a fight over somthing pointless. Back in my college days, it seems that happened alot. Best just to avoid the situatiuation if a fight breaks out, as long as none of your people are involved. I hate drunk fights, complety pointless.

#10 ·
Street fights are nothing like the cage. There's no book, no rules, and no ref. Weather it was fucked up or not, there's always gonna be savage people taking on actions like that. As sad as it is, it's something not to be prevented or broken up because you just might end up a victim. Ive seen plenty of spectators get dragged into a brawl and take a beating just for being there.

#12 ·
Completely agree with everyone with the "No rules on the street" shit. I've had 10-20 on one lots of times and you're only hope is to drag someone under you and give them 10 times more pain than you, stick your elbow into their eye socket or snap an arm and just hope his mates will realise they are making it worse for their mate. I've had 3 people go for me with knives, 1 guy hold one at my throat and took one hell of a beating after getting hit 5 times with a duster. Anybody on here been hit with dusters? It was really strange I knew I had plenty of time to react between punches but my body wouldn't react whatsoever I managed to take the punches fine without going down until i went over a step and the guy was 2 footed jumping on my head for 5-10 minutes until someone dragged him away. Ended up with a fractured jaw and a hairline fracture to the top of my skull, I swear my head and face were almost double the size.

I used to be involved with all the wrong thigns when I was younger but learnt to stay away from it. There's no point whatsoever in fighting on the street and these days somebody can come back with 10-20 guys, a knife or a gun if you do.

Only time you'll catch me fighting on the street is if somebodies gone for my mates without reason, somebodies beating on a girl or unless I have another good reason.

Keep it in the ring/cage and get true honour and respect for it

#15 ·
I completely agree with keeping it in the cage but sometimes I've seen rather sanctioned fights at parties. A friend of mine had this guy talking shit to him and wanted to take it to the street. After trying to convince my friend that it wasn't worth it (he didn't budge and still wanted to fight this guy), I made the decision to negotiate with the opposing fighter and his friends. The negotiation consisted of rules to the fight and the understanding that when it was over it was over. No jumping, group fighting, etc. The fight went off without a hitch, my friend did well and I would say won the fight by points.

So I guess it all depends on who you are with and what the environment is like. I have had situation where I would have never tried so set rules to a fight because I KNEW that the other guys would not follow them and it would have ended up in a shooting incident.

Keep it in the cage unless you can figure out a way to make some rules to the would be street fight. Since MMA is more popular you can just say "MMA Rules" or something like that. Most people would probably agree and let the fight happen for their own/their friend's safety.

#16 ·
As much as I agree with you, that would never happen around here. Bottles would be flying and it would be a full 10 on 10/ 20 on 20 brawl and even after that happened somebody would end up jumped when they were alone and get messed up with whatever they have on them or could get hold of at the time. Its easy to try introduce rules to a street fight , but, in practice it rarely works. People round here think too much about their "rep" and it would never work.

If my mates are in a one on one n getting their ass kicked, bollocks to em, they can get their ass kicked. Won't see me moveat all unless somethings getting out of hand either way, I'd stop my mate and I'd stop the guy he was fightin. I used to have the street mentality myself and TBH if I carried on like that I woulda ended up gettin killed at some point. I realised theres more to life than being a clown on some stupid street level shit and you gotta work to create a better life for yaself and eventually to provide things for ya family (when it happens) that you never had. I decided to change after I quite possibly could have ended up killed when that guy was jumping on my head with 2 feet for at least 10 mins whilst I was unconcious.

Street shits stupid.. and that is some of the realest talk you'll hear.

#17 ·
I decided to change after I quite possibly could have ended up killed when that guy was jumping on my head with 2 feet for at least 10 mins whilst I was unconcious.
QUOTE]

Yeah that is rather ridiculous. Like I said, you can pick and choose when to try that. In my new neighborhood it would be fine, in the old neighborhood it wouldn't fly. Why can't fights be like they were in the old days (or so I've heard), two people fought one on one, settled it, shook hands and it was over.

#18 ·
A fist fight can be a good thing, a growing experience. It can be empowering, a glorious raw victory which satisfies the primal self. Or a shocking blow to the ego, sometimes a person needs it. The purpose of the ring, gloves, ref, etc. is to control the environment for safety sake. There are things that are exposed in people during a real fight which can't be extracted in semi-controlled, fabricated ring fights.
I agree it's sad to think people become crippled or die sometimes, but if it wasn't dangerous then it wouldn't affect people the way it does naturally. I just happen to think that it's more important to preserve our nature by not censoring or padding life.

#22 ·
streetfights are stupid. People just don't realise that they can get seriously injured or seriously injure someone else. They don't even see the legal aspect behind it. Sure, let's smash the guy's head in, look cool in front of the ladies and cry my eyes out when i get sentenced afterwards. I guess it all comes down to male pride/ego and to a person's character. If you are disciplined and wise you'll know how to avoid fights. By all means, protect yourself and your family if you must. But try not to overdo it. I've seen enough fights in my days to realise what a stupid thing street fighting really is; Anw, i'm not a hippy and i do like fights, legal fights that is, cage or ring doesn't matter! Cause the more they come...the more you are gonna get punched..

#28 ·
I have been in a fair few fights in my past and I did used to be the arsehole who would do anything to win, one time i hit a kid, he was pushing his luck ofcourse and he slapped me a few times maybe 3 times. I then hit him with my left as my right was broken due to a fight i was in earlier that week but then even though i knocked him down with my left which would have been enough i booted him until he couldn't stand by himself and never in my life have i been so ashamed in myself. I became a fan of MMA and through that i realise with the exception of pride that when you can physicaly control situations, you to do so with responsability and self control. I wouldn't say i won't fight people still over sometimes stupid things but i won't do anything stupid enough to seriously damage and almost give brain damage to anyone ever again.

#29 ·
I got beat up twice since last Wednesday. In the city on Wed, I was sllligghttllyy drunk and I don't remember what I said but I remember getting hit. Then, apparently his friend came out asked me for the time and hit me again while I was getting my phone out. I had Angelina Jolie lips for a bit. Then in Montreal some chick beat me up because "you're Jewish and my boss is Jewish". Great times.

#31 ·
Personally out of all my friends im the only one who tries to avoid fights. Im also the most technical out of all of them since i actually train and their just naturally athletic. I dont get into fights for me id rather just walk away but to tell you the truth i cant have anyone lay a finger on my friends. As soon as my friends are getting beat up i have to do what i can to protect them. Street fights arnt a good thing to be around.... im surprised you didn't start getting hit just because your protecting them. Best thing is to turn a cheek if you dont know those guys because the only thing that would have stopped those 2 guys from the mob smashing on them is the police.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.