Mixed Martial Arts Forum banner

FEDOR vs. SYLVIA

4K views 54 replies 16 participants last post by  TYKIDD 
#1 ·
if that were to really happen who do you think would win?
everyone says fedor is a god in mma right!
but we all know everyone is only human. i to am not a sylvia
fan. he is a boring champ that makes UFC look like they not worth $40.00 ppv. but u got to respect the guy
he has some skills for a tall lanky lookin fighter. just want some opinions.

#4 ·
Everyone assumes Fedor destroys him. But Sylvia would have the same advantages he had against Monson. Fedor is short and couldnt reach Sylvia standing and would have trouble hitting him on the face even on the ground. It would be a decision for sure. Say what you want but Sylvia would beat Fedor standing and he has a good sprawl and defensive ground skills. I think it would go all five rounds and anything can happen in a decision.

Everyone thinks Fedor is a god and Sylvia is just some lucky oaf who happens to just win most of the time. Sylvia can fight and would be a threat to Fedor. I garuntee Fedor would see him that way.

#7 ·
TYKIDD said:
Everyone assumes Fedor destroys him. But Sylvia would have the same advantages he had against Monson. Fedor is short and couldnt reach Sylvia standing and would have trouble hitting him on the face even on the ground. It would be a decision for sure. Say what you want but Sylvia would beat Fedor standing and he has a good sprawl and defensive ground skills. I think it would go all five rounds and anything can happen in a decision.

Everyone thinks Fedor is a god and Sylvia is just some lucky oaf who happens to just win most of the time. Sylvia can fight and would be a threat to Fedor. I garuntee Fedor would see him that way.
You have a point, Sylvia has all of the advantages he has against Monson, but here's the big differences:

1) Fedor is capable and willing to strike with Monson while waiting for the opportunity to do so.

2) Fedor has a chin on a level that Sylvia has never faced before, ever.

3) Fedor has a level of aggression in the ring that would have crushed Sylvia the way he performed in the second Arlovski fight and against Monson.

4) Fedor as fought a tall, lanky striker like Tim before, and I think that Semmy's technique is cleaner, quicker and crisper than Sylvia, yet Fedor managed to get quickly inside and take Semmy to the ground, where he dominated.

5) Fedor does more damage, more quickly, on the ground than Monson. Granted, Monson is a thicker guy even than Fedor, but Fedor knows how to do damage while taking position, where Monson has to do one, then the other.

6) Fedor has no fear of Sylvia's submissions. Though Monson didn't either, he seemed apprehensive when Sylvia started trying to tap him out when he shouldn't have been, because they were sloppy, poorly executed submission attempts. Fedor would walk right through them and pound Sylvia until it's over.

That seems like enough reasons to me, but here's one more, just to make sure you understand:

7) At the moment, it seems like there is no way to beat Fedor. There doesn't seem to be a hole in his game with the combination of his agressive striking, his pinpoint submissions, his vicious groundnpound and his seemingly unbeatable chin. We all have watched Sylvia, we all know that he half-assed his training in his last to fights, that seems clear. Fedor makes people who do that DEAD!

And that's exactly what would happen to tim sylvia.

Reactions: T.B.
#9 ·
just sayin that fedor is only human.
he is a true champ.
with mma anything could happen.
sylvia has the potential to win the fight.

like i said, i tink fedor would come out on top.
but you never know

#10 ·
IronMan said:
You have a point, Sylvia has all of the advantages he has against Monson, but here's the big differences:

1) Fedor is capable and willing to strike with Monson while waiting for the opportunity to do so.

2) Fedor has a chin on a level that Sylvia has never faced before, ever.

3) Fedor has a level of aggression in the ring that would have crushed Sylvia the way he performed in the second Arlovski fight and against Monson.

4) Fedor as fought a tall, lanky striker like Tim before, and I think that Semmy's technique is cleaner, quicker and crisper than Sylvia, yet Fedor managed to get quickly inside and take Semmy to the ground, where he dominated.

5) Fedor does more damage, more quickly, on the ground than Monson. Granted, Monson is a thicker guy even than Fedor, but Fedor knows how to do damage while taking position, where Monson has to do one, then the other.

6) Fedor has no fear of Sylvia's submissions. Though Monson didn't either, he seemed apprehensive when Sylvia started trying to tap him out when he shouldn't have been, because they were sloppy, poorly executed submission attempts. Fedor would walk right through them and pound Sylvia until it's over.

That seems like enough reasons to me, but here's one more, just to make sure you understand:

7) At the moment, it seems like there is no way to beat Fedor. There doesn't seem to be a hole in his game with the combination of his agressive striking, his pinpoint submissions, his vicious groundnpound and his seemingly unbeatable chin. We all have watched Sylvia, we all know that he half-assed his training in his last to fights, that seems clear. Fedor makes people who do that DEAD!

And that's exactly what would happen to tim sylvia.
Most of the points are true. Except for #4 I dont think his striking is better. And Tim isnt just tall and lengthy He is really tall and he is heavy as shit has to drop weight to make heavy weight. Im not like a huge Sylvia fan or anything I'm just more or less annoyed at how everyone thinks Fedor is the unntouchable when anyone on anynight can be beat. Fedor is the all around best fighter on the planet but he can be beat. Until he fights Sylvia you don't know.

#15 ·
CTFlyingKnee said:
just bringing it to the attention of NOOBS like yourself who are morons and dont read any of the previous threads......do a bit of research to get your answers son
First off not everyone is on her every day. So get a life. Second thats not research and third Noob is a term dorks use on the internet. So your an idiot.

#19 ·
TYKIDD said:
Most of the points are true. Except for #4 I dont think his striking is better. And Tim isnt just tall and lengthy He is really tall and he is heavy as shit has to drop weight to make heavy weight.
You have to realize that you expose your own ignorance to PRIDE and K-1 by making this comment.

Semmy is a kickboxer who's striking rivals that of......... well, nobodies striking rivals Semmy Schilt. Except maybe Jerome LeBanner, and LeBanner has made it clear that he thinks much more of Semmy Schilt than he does of Sylvia. (not saying he's right, but the man knows his stuff)

Semmy is K-1 heavyweight champion, he's three inches taller than Sylvia, he's quicker and he's smashed guys in ways that UFC fans almost never see. (He stopped Masakatsu Funaki 38-11-1, with a punch to the body, something that Joe Rogan admitted never to having seen in the UFC)

Tim is listed as being a "Thai Kickboxer" by some sites, but his Thai skills are a joke. He's a strong guy who swings his leg up once in a while in the hopes of connecting with a kick. Every once in a while he throws a knee. That doesn't make him a Thai Kickboxer.

If you don't think the above shows your ignorance, than maybe I should point one other thing out:

You compared Fedor to Jeff Monson. I like Jeff Monson and I think that's a dumb comparison. You'll get to see exactly how dumb it is when they fight in March. They're different fighters, the only thing they have in common is the fact that they're great grapplers (and Fedor is on an entirely different level in this category) and their not very tall.

#20 ·
benn said:
just sayin that fedor is only human.
he is a true champ.
with mma anything could happen.
sylvia has the potential to win the fight.

like i said, i tink fedor would come out on top.
but you never know
I hear that. However the day I saw Kevin Randleman pick Fedor up and suplex him, driving ~450 lbs on the back of Fedor's neck and head, with enough force that it should have paralyzed most men or at least knock them out (springy mat or no mat) and it didn't even stun Fedor. In fact just moments later he handed Kevin his ass. That was the day I went from thinking Fedor was the best fighter in the world to believing he is invincible.

I've seen Fedor take appart a tall lanky dude (Semmy).
I've seen him make a mockery on the ground of Antonio Rodrigo Nogueira, who is as good a Jiu-Jitsu guy on the ground as you will find (except perhaps Lister and Verdun?), repeatedly.
I've seen him strike with and pressure CroCop, who is as good a striker as you will find in MMA, and completely take him out of his game plan.
I've seen him work off his back against "The Hammer", who is still a great wrestler and freakishly strong, and throw on a beautiful submission with scary agility and quickness for a man his size (or any size for that matter).

Generally I agree with the rules like "Anyone can be beat". But there are certain special individuals that in my mind defy those rules until proven otherwise. Case in point:

"Anyone can be knocked out." - I will never believe that about Mark Hunt until someone actually does it.

"Anyone can be beat." - I will never believe that about Fedor until someone actually does it.

The great part is that this New Years we will get to see Fedor take the ultimate chin test (if he decides to keep it on the feet for a while). If he survives the Hunt chin test, he officially joins Hunt in the first club in my book.

#21 ·
Fedor outstruck Crocop standing, that proves he can take Sylvia on the stand up.

#22 ·
TYKIDD said:
First off not everyone is on her every day. So get a life. Second thats not research and third Noob is a term dorks use on the internet. So your an idiot.
ahhhhahahahhhahhaha you crack me up my friend

1.) I am not on here everyday
2.) When I do go on, I usually check a few pages deep to see if there is anything I did miss
3.) You're still a noob who needs to learn that the art of "online arguing" will only take you so far in life. I am now done with this discussion, good day.

#23 ·
IronMan said:
You have to realize that you expose your own ignorance to PRIDE and K-1 by making this comment.

Semmy is a kickboxer who's striking rivals that of......... well, nobodies striking rivals Semmy Schilt. Except maybe Jerome LeBanner, and LeBanner has made it clear that he thinks much more of Semmy Schilt than he does of Sylvia. (not saying he's right, but the man knows his stuff)

Semmy is K-1 heavyweight champion, he's three inches taller than Sylvia, he's quicker and he's smashed guys in ways that UFC fans almost never see. (He stopped Masakatsu Funaki 38-11-1, with a punch to the body, something that Joe Rogan admitted never to having seen in the UFC)

Tim is listed as being a "Thai Kickboxer" by some sites, but his Thai skills are a joke. He's a strong guy who swings his leg up once in a while in the hopes of connecting with a kick. Every once in a while he throws a knee. That doesn't make him a Thai Kickboxer.

If you don't think the above shows your ignorance, than maybe I should point one other thing out:

You compared Fedor to Jeff Monson. I like Jeff Monson and I think that's a dumb comparison. You'll get to see exactly how dumb it is when they fight in March. They're different fighters, the only thing they have in common is the fact that they're great grapplers (and Fedor is on an entirely different level in this category) and their not very tall.
Your right i dont know a lot about K1 I didnt know he was 611. But i have seen recent punches to the body that have stopped fights didnt you see Melvin do it. So its not that special. And I was comparing Monson and Fedor in size nothing else read a little bit or are you just showing your ignorance.

#26 ·
TYKIDD said:
Your right i dont know a lot about K1 I didnt know he was 611. But i have seen recent punches to the body that have stopped fights didnt you see Melvin do it. So its not that special. And I was comparing Monson and Fedor in size nothing else read a little bit or are you just showing your ignorance.
Drago's punch to pete sell almost ended the fight. I know that you can break somebody's ribs with a good punch and I also know that if anyone gets a rib broken in the fight it is pretty much over.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.