MMA Forum - UFC Forums - UFC Results - MMA Videos - View Single Post - Classical ju jitsu vs Submission grappling article

View Single Post

Old 12-09-2006, 11:42 PM   #8 (permalink)
IronMan
True Grappler

IronMan Is A BallerIronMan Is A BallerIronMan Is A BallerIronMan Is A BallerIronMan Is A BallerIronMan Is A BallerIronMan Is A BallerIronMan Is A BallerIronMan Is A BallerIronMan Is A BallerIronMan Is A Baller
I spent alot of time in Judo, Japanese Jujitsu, small-circle jujitsu, as well as wrestling. I use Aikido as a spiritual practice and a meditation.

I trained in Ralph Gracie Jiu-Jitsu under Dave Clahan (the school's in Berkeley, CA). It's a good BJJ school and the stuff there is good, but after a few classes I realized that my grappling game wasn't getting better because it wasn't pushing me to do anything I didn't already know about it from watching BJJ fighters and from the guys who I spar with now.

No disrespect to BJJ, I think it's a great style with alot to offer, but the people who say that it's unbeatable and the perfect martial arts style need to get off of it. There is no perfect style, everything can be beaten. Styles are perfect, in theory, but because people aren't perfect the martial arts groups aren't perfect. All styles have their flaws, and BJJ has as many of those flaws as any other style.

My own backround is nothing great, but I speak from an unbiased point of view. The only thing in my game that I pride myself on is not using any style, because of what I was once told by a great martial artist:

"Great martial artists use do (a set style). Great warriors use touhou (me or my)."

This is the entire founding of my career as a student. I always look for what I can learn in a style. I also try to find what is wrong with the style. Everything has a lesson and everything has a flaw, my goal is to find them.

Sig by Toxic

Barnett - Toquinho -Werdum - "Nurmie"
Z. Gurgel - Morango - Rocha - Tiequan
IronMan is offline   Reply With Quote