Mixed Martial Arts Forum banner

Rush Talks About Old School UFC

2K views 29 replies 11 participants last post by  kds13 
#1 ·
I will be making some blog threads on my obsession with MMA now, reviews mostly or talking about certain PPVs since I am getting bored of these "this person .vs. that person" threads.

Anyways, I can't help but talk about old school UFC mainly 1-22 because I love that era and I think it was more enjoyable and less predictable than the new era.

I must admit I like violence, UFC 1-10 basically allowed anything from low blows to downward elbows. People being cut like they were hit with an axe or KOd. Nowadays it seems like more decisions or TKO Strikes rather than the KOs.

Have you seen a Tank .vs. John Matua recently? Gary Goodridge on Paul Herrera? Yes we saw a nice KO at UFC 65 from Antoni Hardonk to Sherman Pendergarst but before that I couldn't really remember unless you count Anderson .vs. Franklin a KO which in my opinion wasn't as nice as the old school UFC KOs. It seems like there is one KO every 3 PPVs unlike the old UFC where there was a KO every PPV, maybe even two.

But the rules have changed, yes now more tactical fighters. But I think violence make things a little more exciting, one strong bastard like Mark Kerr KOing a weakling like Greg Stott rather than an even battle.

After UFC 22 it seemed like it fell off the map, never heard from again but bounced back at UFC 30 which is one of my favourite eras.

What do you all think about the old UFC compared to nowadays? Feel free to debate, I'm having a shitty day as I broke my tailbone...

See less See more
#27 ·
Redwings7777 said:
How about Patrick "Prince Of Bel Air Hair" Smith :laugh:. Best fighter ever.
Definitely. Pat Smith was like the Mark Hunt of his time. Good standing, and absolutely clueless on the ground. Yes, Smith rocking the Kid N Play eraser head hairstyle did indeed rule. His decimation of Scott Morris is easily one of the most violent beatings I have seen.

Jon Hess needs more love as well. Hess was all "Screw this Jiu Jitsu shit! It's all about SAFTA, dawgz!". Hess punched like a mentally challenged Chris Leben.

I absolutely dug Severn's promo's as well. So wooden, so hilarious, so....awesome.

#28 · (Edited)
Stop referring to yourself in third person as "Rush". Very annoying and deceptive, makes me think this is a thread about GSP's opinions instead of some armchair expert.
Yeah, I agree. For a while there I thought I was reading a blog by GSP...very misleading.

-Seacrest out-

#29 · (Edited)
TREY B. said:
To the thread starter:

Do me a favor and stop referring to yourself in the 3rd person. You're username is "Redwings7777", not "Rush".
Nope.

Damone said:
Definitely. Pat Smith was like the Mark Hunt of his time. Good standing, and absolutely clueless on the ground. Yes, Smith rocking the Kid N Play eraser head hairstyle did indeed rule. His decimation of Scott Morris is easily one of the most violent beatings I have seen.

Jon Hess needs more love as well. Hess was all "Screw this Jiu Jitsu shit! It's all about SAFTA, dawgz!". Hess punched like a mentally challenged Chris Leben.

I absolutely dug Severn's promo's as well. So wooden, so hilarious, so....awesome.
I loved Pat Smiths UFC 1 promo, so cocky it was funny. I also loved his guillotine submissions and the KO over Scott Morris. My favourite KO of all time.

How about Hackneys promo at UFC 4 I believe. Hilarious. He punched the bag then Jim Brown is like "that is cement!" lol hilarious. He was crazy Hackney, wouldn't stop hitting his opponents head, reminded me of a hockey fighter.

And the mullet Harold Howard, where did he get that black belt from?

#30 ·
the old fights are definitely great and more people need to get in and watch em. they are very important to the sport and are really entertaining fights to watch. but if anybody saw the bonnar v griffin fight...i think they are locked in to watching modern day fights. and i honestly can't blame them. what a brawl

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.