MMA Forum - UFC Forums - UFC Results - MMA Videos - View Single Post - Some pointers for a beginner

View Single Post

Old 01-24-2009, 08:35 PM   #1 (permalink)
agent7
MMA Fanatic

agent7 has a little shameless behaviour in the past
Some pointers for a beginner

I love MMA and think it is fascinating not to mention fun to watch. My favorite fighter is Fedor and my favorite styles are Muay Thai and submission techniques.

I don't wanna be a professional or amateur fighter but just wanna learn the sport for the fun and athleticism of it and to a lesser extent self defense.

How would I be able to learn basic grappling, striking, and submission techniques the quickest? I live in New York. Which type of gym? I would do Brazilian Ju Jitsu but I heard there is very little striking.

Would a guy like me be able to do it? I have never been in a fight in my life or gotten punched in the face hard.
Be honest because if I am not physically big or aggressive enough then tell me.

I am currently very out of shape and am 24. I am 5'7 210 but have a big build, broad shoulders, and can lift a decent amount of weight. I played rugby in college, can tackle well, deal with pain and adrenaline well in that way, and am athletic and explosive for my size. My takedowns would def. be good. Also I have a strong grip and can prob. choke someone out well. I know how to train on a basic level in terms of weights and plyometrics and aerobic exercises, etc. cutting weight is tough for me though.

How much weight would I need to cut before I could star learning techniques? How much would I have to train? My buddy told me that it doesnt matter and I should start as soon as I can and I will train alongside and the instructors work with you.

So let me know; as I always avoid confrontation in real life though, as I think fighting is pointless when it can be avoided. As a sport though I think it would be awesome and I think it is amazing the degree of respect MMA fighters have for each other.
agent7 is offline   Reply With Quote