MMA Forum - UFC Forums - UFC Results - MMA Videos - View Single Post - Breaking a Clinch

View Single Post

Old 12-13-2006, 09:34 PM   #14 (permalink)
Onganju
Outta My Head

Onganju is on another level nowOnganju is on another level nowOnganju is on another level nowOnganju is on another level nowOnganju is on another level nowOnganju is on another level nowOnganju is on another level nowOnganju is on another level nowOnganju is on another level nowOnganju is on another level nowOnganju is on another level now
The Bump

Okay, now that we’ve got all this information up on the previous posts I can see some of you are out their thinking, “Why don’t you just shove the guy off?” Well… That is definitely a viable option to go to when you opponent hasn’t fully hooked you in their clinch. The other thing to consider is that if you’re just trying to shove your opponent off and you are 1) Tired, 2) Not as strong as your opponent, or 3) Not as big as your opponent then that is much easier said than done. Further, you can be opening yourself up to all sorts of nasty types of strikes or takedowns.

That is why the Bump is advocated. In contrast to just shoving off with your arms, the Bump won’t just create a few inches of distance between you and your opponent. In actuality it is going to create quite a few feet as you rocket your opponent away from you. Further, it does not lose its level of effectiveness as much as a normal shove when you begin to get fatigued. The Bump is best used before a clinch is set (your opponent is reaching for you), or off an Over-Under Clinch.

The Bump:
1) Stack your hands one on top of the other in the center of your opponent’s chest.
2) Push off your legs and “Bump” the back of your hands with top of your head. This will get your opponent moving.
3) Continue pushing off your legs and completely extend your arms forward off of the Bump.
4) As you push off keep your hands crossed, and your head down between your shoulders to keep it covered. Your opponent shouldn’t be able to counterattack you off of the Bump unless they’ve completely stepped around it, or are crazy athletic and skilled enough to pull off some sort of flipping kick as they are being shoved back.

As your opponent reels backwards, you can either take a moment to re-orient yourself, or you can take advantage of their momentary state of unbalance and use it as a chance to attack with a striking combination or shoot at their legs.

Working the Bump – From Your Head to Their Toes:
Here are a few options to use after/during a successful Bump. These would be considered fouls in Boxing or Kick Boxing. In a MMA situation, they are more than fair game.
  • Bump and Run: Bump your opponent and run up on them for a striking combination, or shoot. I’ve found that body shots work real well, so do leg shots. You want to really frustrate your opponent and keep them off balance for a while longer? Hit the Bump, step in and hit a Teep/Front/Push kick as they try to regain their balance. Rinse and repeat until they fall or back into a solid object.
  • Lead Foot: Step on your opponent’s foot (this will be done with a mirror-side basis, your left foot on your opponent’s right foot, and vice-versa) and hit the Bump. Keep your foot on top of your opponent’s foot as you follow up with punches or a shot. This can cause a great deal of stress on their foot, and can result in tendon and ligament damage.
  • Hot Foot: Step on your opponent’s foot and hit the Bump like you would with the Lead Foot (above). When you feel their body bringing their foot up off the floor, lift your leg and let go of their foot. As they struggle for balance, attack them.
If you try out the Lead Foot or Hot Foot on your training partners during sparring, do so with care. It is very easy to mess up an ankle that way, and you want to make sure to take care of your training partners in order to lessen the chance of injury.

That's that for the Bump. I'll list a few available ways to break your opponent's grip if you find yourself caught in their clinch in a later post.

Queng leon queng tigre ecu tacacut, queca pa? - Pampangan Mandarigma Motto

My Blog <--READ IT!
Onganju is offline   Reply With Quote