MMA Forum - UFC Forums - UFC Results - MMA Videos - View Single Post - Off-hand training

View Single Post

Old 07-05-2006, 07:24 PM   #9 (permalink)
Onganju
Outta My Head

Onganju is on another level nowOnganju is on another level nowOnganju is on another level nowOnganju is on another level nowOnganju is on another level nowOnganju is on another level nowOnganju is on another level nowOnganju is on another level nowOnganju is on another level nowOnganju is on another level nowOnganju is on another level now
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Don
ok so any more advice on training off hand or is it simply a matter of just using it more???
I think the biggest obstacle is coming to a point where you need to train while being conscious of the fact that you have to utilize it more. This is where havign a training partner becomes real effective. While being able to just drill repetition on a heavy bag will go a long way, if you have skilled partner with a set of focus mitts/thai pads who goes out of their way to constantly feed angles and targets that require you to use your off hand it becomes more engrained in a way that becomes "combat applicable." Just hitting a static target will help you with form, but you need a sparring partner to help train timing and rythm.

This can also help with grappling also. After rolling enough with my buds, it was very comforting to know that I can catch them with my left arm when going for a choke or armbar opposite my strong side. After a while, they started defending against my stronger arm and I needed to start going to the off hand to catch them. Once I got them worried about both sides, my game got bigger because I had many more options added to my set-ups and attacks.

Queng leon queng tigre ecu tacacut, queca pa? - Pampangan Mandarigma Motto

My Blog <--READ IT!
Onganju is offline   Reply With Quote