Mixed Martial Arts Forum banner

swpthleg's training log

43K views 338 replies 22 participants last post by  Rockstar189 
#1 ·
monday: tkd conditioning: 3 3-minute rounds jumping rope with pad work in between, 50 pushups 50 situps
speed kicks w/partner, 6 30 second rounds kingeti/roundhouse
stations: heavy bag, more pad work w/sprints up & down the gym, 3-minute drill of 2 pushups, back slap out, 2 sit ups, front kicks on the wavemaster

no bag gloves or hand wraps during pad work so my knuckles get conditioned

#114 · (Edited)
Mon 4-13: ran 5 miles.
Tue: ran 4 miles
Wed: ran 5 miles
Thur: day off due to hangover
Fri: ran 4 miles
Sat: day off ( I like to do rest days one at a time like this)
Sun: ran 4 miles, heavy bag

That makes 22 miles this week, I'd like to be at 25 miles within the next couple of weeks, and 30 miles within 6 weeks or so.

#115 · (Edited)
Mon 4-20: ran 4.5 miles
Tuesday: rested. tired as sh!t.
Wed: 30 min arc trainer, 15 min heavy bag interval combinations, TKD was interval jump rope and pad work and super fun.
Thur: 1.5 mile run, 17 min arc trainer, 15 min bike. Sore from pad work yesterday and fighting some sort of upper respiratory thing.
fri: Ran 4.3 miles. avg. pace 9:35, still kinda slow but getting faster.
Sat: ran 4 miles. about the same pace as yesterday.
Sun: 15 min arc trainer, 30 min. bike. have to ice hip flexor today b/c I'm not going to let it stop me running again.

#116 · (Edited)
Mon 4-27: ran 4 miles, heavy bag combinations. I didn't do more than 10 min or so on the heavy bag, the Cipro I'm taking is making me puky and it was also fkin hot in there despite the A/C.
Tue: The A/C was in fact broken, but it got fixed today, so I ran 4.5 miles, avg. pace about 9:35. I would like to get it down more obviously, work up to 6 miles at a time to start, and add in incline.
I think I'm going to have to take the summer off TKD. 4 nights a week will not be doable once soccer season gets into high gear. I have a hard time getting there 3 nights a week as it stands now.
Wed: ran 4 miles, kind of sucking air, I was tired today.
Thur: ran 2 miles, bag work. I feel full of fail. I should probably consider this a rest day.
Fri: ran 4.5 miles. a little faster. Where was all this energy yesterday?

#117 ·
Do you change up your mileages or speeds much when you do your runs throughout the week? Back when I was in the military I used to do a lot of long distance runs from 7-13 miles depending on who was running that morning's PT. I never liked doing the same distance day in and out, so one day would be a fast 2 miles, the next a slow 5 miles, and so on. Doing so seemed to help break past certain cardio barriers not to include preventing knee injuries from constant long runs.

#118 ·
I tend not to vary my distance by more than 2 miles, because I am trying to get back to a 30-mile week. My struggle at the moment is not getting uptight about speed, i.e. I could have run 5-6 miles if I dropped my speed to a 9:40 minute mile (DON'T LAUGH!) but I wanted to run a 9:30 minute mile so I only went 4.

In the long term I would love to run the distances you mention, because eventually I'd like to run a half marathon, and I'm thinking about a 10K in early July. Idk how likely this is to happen, I'm a bad outside runner.

But yeah I will go between 6.2 and 6.5 or 6.8-7.0, depending on where I am in the run. I like to try to finish strong, at least for me.

#120 · (Edited)
Sun 5-03: 4 mile run. really really frustrated b/c I'd like to be going 5 9:40 or 9:30 miles each day now. but I get to sucking air and my legs kill and I feel pukey. INFURIATING.
Mon 5-04: 4.25 mile run, less pukey. I'm beginning to wonder if I should take the B-100 earlier, if that is making me pukey.
Tue: rested
Wed: 4.5 mile run, faster.
Thur: 4.5 mile run, about 9:30 pace throughout. This is progress for me. Taking the B-100 in the morning helped and didn't make me feel like I was going to hurl.
Fri: 2.2 mile run (Interrupted by soccer practice frenzy)
Sat: hungover
Sun: rested. about a 20 mile week, not bad but not great.

#121 · (Edited)
Mon 5-11: ran 5 miles. 9:30 average pace, used the incline for part of the last mile.
Tue: 2 miles. I had to do all the kid transporting.
Wed: My birthday. I didn't do anything after work except get hammered and watch DVDs with my husband.
Thur: 40 min arc trainer, 15 min (20 if you count intervals I guess) on the heavy bag.
Fri: Ran 5 miles in new shoes. The icing last night helped. Hoping to duplicate this Sat. and Sun. also to make up for the lame midweek.
Sat: ran 5 miles.
Sun: Ran 5 miles. it brings the week total to only 22 like last week. Track season is over so the track kid can run in the gym with me and there'll be less workout time lost because of picking up and dropping off.

#122 · (Edited)
Mon 5-18 - ran 5 miles, 2 hrs MMA, drills with passing guard, triangle, getting out of keyhole (figure 4) lock, pop ups, some grappling. This is tiring but I think running has helped my conditioning to where I sweat and work but don't get out of breath. My arms are covered in bruises though.
Tue: 40 min. arc trainer. running kids. This is likely to happen on Thur. also. LAME
Wed.: 4 mile run, 2 hrs MMA, but I did some watching also. Same workout as Wednesday. very very fun. Smells like ass in that gym though.
Thur: Sore from closing my guard. rest day
Fri: 5 mile run.
Sat.: 4 mile run, 20 min. bike.

#124 ·
This is something new wukka. The gym only opened 2 months ago. I may or may not go back to TKD, because I felt it offered me very little in the way of realistic self-defense training. The emphasis in TKD is to prevent a fight from going to the ground, however this is confusing because a)Olympic TKD sparring is full contact, and b)if you get attacked for real, likely the first place it will go is to the ground. If you have any etiquette tips other than the obvious for being a female in a grappling gym, (this is by no means the first time I've been the only woman in a class full of dudes) it would be appreciated. They have been very respectful and patient re: grappling with me, BTW.

I prefer distance running in order to maintain the grip on my MILF stamp LMAO! I always forget the numbers and effort vs. recovery periods for HIIT. Also I would like to run another 10K and maybe a half marathon one day, hence the distance obsession.

#126 ·
It's a real shame my husband is being such an assbite about me going to this gym. He's "that guy" who doesn't want his wife rolling with guys, b/c he thinks I'm sexualizing it, or they are.

I learned more practical fight skills in 2 classes than I did in 4 years of TKD. You've probably seen in my other posts that I'm going to talk to someone at the gym that just opened near me about judo and MT.

I need to go to Hal Higdon for some HIIT programs. I think Scarecrow posted a link in here that looked helpful, also.

#127 · (Edited)
Monday 5-24: 5.5 mile run, avg. pace 9:25. I have got to add in an incline and go up to 7 or 8 miles if I'm going to do that 10K around the 4th of July.
Tue: 5.5 mile run, same avg. pace, ran on a 1% incline for about 6 minutes of the last mile, painful but I can tell it's going to help give me a little junk in the trunk.
Wed: 6 mile run, slightly faster avg. pace, maybe 9:20. I'm excited because I can't remember the last time I ran 6 miles.
Thur: 5 mile run, kind of tired.
Fri: Active rest day. 20 or so min total interval heavy bag combinations. I hit like I meant it so I still dripped sweat, but trying to shake the feeling of fail b/c I didn't run.
Sat: rest day. out of town.
Sun: 4 mile run. 26 miles total this week. Better, but I haven't used the incline anywhere near enough.

#128 · (Edited)
Mon 6-01: Ran 5 miles. No time to lift or anything b/c I had to go to my daughter's honor society induction. And it's soccer season....uuuggghhhhh
Tue: ran 4 miles, about 10 min bag work until the screw anchoring it to the floor came out and nobody had a wrench WTF?? so I lifted bi's, tri's, Arnold press and shrugs.\
Wed: Active rest day. 3 5-minute rounds jump rope interspersed with 5 4-5 minute heavy bag combinations.
Thur: rested
Fri: 40 min grappling (sweeps) 1 hour point sparring. sport karate types are ELUSIVE!
Sat: rested. Everything's achy. I forgot how many different muscles you use grappling.

#129 · (Edited)
Mon: After being a lazy ass and achy all weekend, I took the kickboxing class at the dojo near my house and then stayed for point sparring which was fun as usual. Sport karate point fighters who are bigger than me leave their sternum open a lot hehehehe.
Tue: Lost my job (or rather, my position was eliminated) but I did the elliptical for 40 minutes and the bike for 15. feeling full of fail about now.
Wed: Rested.
Thur: 5 mile run, grappling at 5:30.
Fri: 40 min pad work, then a couple of drills after class.

#130 · (Edited)
After being a freakin vegetable all weekend, I got back at it today.

Mon: grappling at 9 am, standup at 6 pm, sparring 7-8. Hard work but fun as shit. The guys have figured out that they can hit me lol. All they throw is the blitz so I'm going to work on having that rising block come up in that microsecond, which is harder than it sounds.
Tue: ground fighting drills, I learned to shrimp out, escape from mount into half guard, hook one foot, push the other knee down and get into closed guard, complicated. Also that drill with the weird name where you turn on your hip, go up on your shoulder and pass your arm across your body. Like you were getting out of a keylock.
Wed: ran 2.5 miles and rode the bike for 15 minutes in the morning. This afternoon I lifted arnold press, seated row, assisted tricep dip, shrugs, chest press and rear delts. I kind of scrambled up my muscle groups. I won't be lifting tomorrow because I'll try to run in the morning and there's MMA at night.
Thur: ran 4 miles, lifted bi's and tri's. I lifted b/c I don't think I can go to MMA due to freakin soccer and lord and master golfing.
Fri: Grappling at 10 am, sparring from 6-7:30. Still getting used to fighting sport karate fighters. fun though, lots of fun.
Sat: Standup and ground striking 10:15-11:30.

#131 · (Edited)
Mon 6-22: partner pad work followed by sparring (offensive/defensive, then continuous, all 1-minute matches, it was an intense interval workout.
Tue: Standup bag work, ground strikes on the bag from side control and north-south, then partner drills trying to break guard, strike, sweep etc. Drained afterward. I need to run this week also. Given the intense nature of Mondays, Tuesday is probably always going to be an easier day, however.
Wed: My lazy ass sat by the pool.
Thur: 2 mile run, 15 min bag work, 20 min. bike. Fail.
Thursday night: Rescued my day from complete fail by 1/2 hour of pad work and armbar, armbar to triangle, and armbar to triangle to locking someone up when they try to posture up drills. AWESOME!
Fri: 80 min. interval sparring. The sport karate approach is so weird, running and counterpunching, shuffling back and forth with their hands down, looks like the guys are grabbing their nads. Competition schools get a little heavy but everybody was nice and remembered the importance of rei.
Sat.: 3 mile run, 15 minutes bike. I made progress sparring this week but it was a pathetic week for running. I have to fix this.

#132 · (Edited)
Mon 6-29: 3.25 mile run, 15 min. bag work. Thai boxing and then sparring is at 6. This was combinations up and down the floor, then interval bag work. Sparring was 1-minute matches. I think I did about 12 with 60-second rests in between. Essentially another 90 min of interval cardio.
Tue: Interval 1-min jump rope rounds, bag drills, bi's & tri's for about 35 minutes, then rode the bike for 10 minutes.
wed: rested
Thur:4 mile run, 15 min bag work, class at 6:30, not sure if it's kickboxing or grappling.
Fri: 1 hour sparring; so interval cardio. Me and 2 other people and it was fun as shit.
Sat and Sun: Either lazy or hung over.

#133 · (Edited)
Mon 7-6: thai boxing (combination drills up and down the floor, pad work) then 50 min (interval) sparring. The people in my class LOLd when I said to myself, "Don't chase the counterpuncher, don't chase...."
Tue: rested. There's a lot of drilling and smacking in point sparring, believe it or not.
Wed: MMA: 3 2-min. rounds jump rope, pushups, situps, striking sparring (ie 1 person strikes, one person counters) 3 rounds, striking/clinch sparring 3 rounds, grappling sparring 3 rounds. Essentially 1 hour of interval cardio. I feel like I could do more though. Trying to think of a good warmdown for afterward.
Thur: thai boxing: running laps with medicine ball over our head, pushups/V-ups warmup, then mad bag drills. I didn't sleep well last night so I'm drained. It was a fun workout, though.
Fri: MMA/JJ: drills with dell'Arriva (sp?) sweep, elevator sweep, kimura sweep, guard passes, with increasing resistance as directed by the instructor from both parties, then a few full on live rounds. Got swept several times, swept people several times, got choked out once, choked someone out once. I'm sure it's not a news flash, but this stuff is addicting.
Fri. night: 90 min interval drills and sparring.
Sat: rested. sore.
Sun: 3.5 mile run. I took the past week off running. This was a terrible mistake. I was a wreck. I feel like a new person.

#134 · (Edited)
Mon 7-13: 20 min. striking and grappling drills (got there late) 3.5 mile run, MT and sparring at 6.
Tue: 1 hour striking and grappling drills. I help my girl partner with standup, and she helps me with grappling (her brother is a wrestler). A good time is had by all.
Wed: Took my first karate class. The teacher let me wear my TKD rank, which I appreciated. It was kicking drills and pad work, and a lot of stretching.
Thur: 4 mile run, what I thought was going to be MT ended up being grappling, but it was awesome b/c I learned the americana and kimura from the top. I also learned that my escape from mount isn't very good at the moment.
Fri: 2.5 mile run, some bag work. I sucked.
Sat. MMA striking and grappling, followed by karate class which was kicking and self-defense drills. I had chick partners in MMA again so it was a lot of fun.

#135 · (Edited)
Mon 7-20: 4 mile run. MT at 6, sparring at 7. MT was a lot of pad work and partner exchange combination drills up and down the floor, which I love. Sparring was not quite as fast-paced as usual, but it was still a great workout.
Tue: Evening MMA; we started with running backwards/sprinting forward drills, then worked sweeps from guard and mount, armbar, triangle, for about 1/2 hour, 3 1-minute live rounds, finished up with 4 1-minute heavy bag drills. exhausting but so so fun.
Wed: 40 min elliptical, 20 min. bike. Debating whether to go to karate at 5:45 due to being very sore from last night, but I love the women in that class. I did go for 45 min (had to leave early due to f*cking soccer) but it was great.
Thur: 2 mile run, 20 min bike, PM ground striking drills on the bag, then some ground partner drills, which was fun b/c I had my favorite girl partner. I discovered that I can make people tap by squeezing the f*ck out of their neck into my chest.
Fri: rested.
Sat.: group karate class: pushups, situps, stretches, kicking drills, then striking drills in front and horse stance at varying speeds up and down the floor. This was AWESOME and I was dripping with sweat, heart pounding.

#136 · (Edited)
Mon 7-27: 3 mile AM (OK late AM) run, PM 45 min pad work drills, then 30-sec interval rotating sparring. This was a tough day but I had a great time.
Tue: 4 mile run.
Wed: pushups, situps, jump rope, mad bag work. This was not MT or MMA, it was some multiage class that I think came about because some regular classes didn't happen last week due to karate camps.
Thur: 4.3 mile run, MT at 5:30.
Fri. and Sat.: Rested.
Sun: 4.3 mile run.

#137 · (Edited)
Mon 8-3: 4 mile run. MT at 6, sparring at 7.
Tue: Some ground drills, I got sweaty but it was a rest day.
Wed: escapes from guard, d'Arriva sweep, kimura sweep, both from guard and mount, a couple of live rounds where I experienced my first Achilles hook. I didn't like it. Then 3 mile run, 10 min. bike.
Thur: 4 mile run.
Fri.: Standup sparring drills, 4 mile run.

#138 · (Edited)
Mon 8-10: partner pad work, drills up and down the floor, point sparring. It's hard to work out in extreme humidity.
Tue: 2 mile run, 20 min jump rope/bag work in intervals.
Wed: Grappling in the AM (freakin exhausting) and group karate in the evening (jump rope, pushups, situps, kicking drills).
Thur: 3 mile run at 1:30, kickboxing/MT at 5:30. The run was probably stupid because the teacher told me that we were going to push cardio tonight and it's hot and humid, but my daughter insisted on going to the gym, and I'm having a hard time giving up that one drink a night.
Fri: Pad work and bag drills in the AM, point sparring that evening.
Sat: More pad work and bag work, sprinting up and down the floor to kick on the pad a bunch of times.
Sun: Rested.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.