Mixed Martial Arts Forum banner

Should Riggs Be Fighting In The UFC?

2K views 34 replies 26 participants last post by  steveo412 
#1 ·
In another dissapointing attempt to show he belongs as a contender in the UFC
Joe riggs failed to even be competetive in his bout against Diego Sanchez.
Riggs has been given multipal oppertunities to show his talent but has failed.
The UFC matched him up against Jason Von flue in the hopes it would build confidence for Riggs. He has faced and been beaten by just about all the fighters that are considerd threats to the WW Title. Riggs has been considerd a measuring stick in the WW divison but it looks like even that Title has been lost. With all the experience and knowlege Riggs posseses in MMA it seems when he steps in the cage he is lost. I have no doubt Riggs could be succesful against fighters from smaller organizations with less skills. This may be where Riggs ends up in the near future. I would have liked to see a more competetive fight for Diego. While his win was impressive he did not get the work that Riggs was supposed to offer. I believe we may have seen the last of Joe Riggs in the UFC unless something drastic occures in the future. This seems very unlikely considering all the oppertunities he has let slip away.

Should Riggs be fighting in the UFC after this performance.

#27 · (Edited)
Rambler14 said:
Once again..

THE DUDE IS 24.

He's got 10+ years left in this business if he wants to fight that long. Is it really fair to say he will NEVER be a top fighter?
I am aware of how old Riggs is.

Riggs' main problem is his ability to perform under pressure. This is a difficult thing to overcome, and I'm not even sure Dana will give Joe another chance to get back to that position. Billy Rush, Jeremy Horn, & Rich Franklin all say that Riggs is a monster in training, but doesn't perform to his potential when he fights. Dana should let him fight on the undercards of UFN's(After he proves himself elsewhere). He can still bring the excitement, just not during a huge match. This is not a knock against Riggs or anything.

#28 ·
I know exactly how that is, buckling under pressure. Riggs just needs more and ore and more and more experience. It takes a lot to perform atyour full potential while in the ring. Shit, I've had ten fights and I still am not completely comfortable int he cage. Riggs needs to solve his problem- elsewhere- and come back when he has a shot or is more comfortable. You're right, it's not a knock on Riggs, it's just an observation and/or fact and it is correctable, it's just going to take a lot of time and excperience, and should be done ina B class venue instead of publicly humiliating himself and destroying his rep. He is a fan favorit,e but it was mentioned earlier, even fans are getting pissed now.

#29 ·
Riggs should have fared much better against Sanchez. That was a huge step backwards for someone who was 3 & 3 in UFC bouts and lost convincingly to ex champ {Matt Hughes) who recently lost convincingly to the current champ.

Riggs should take a few fights in lesser organizations, rebuild and come back to UFC after a few victories.

Ultimate Fighting Championship

#31 ·
he's long on ability and experience, but he just can't nut up in the big pressure fights...

i dunno... maybe he should take a f@ckin pill to calm his nerves, or try a hypnotist or sports psychologist or some sh!t... i'm tired of him pissing himself on the big stage, but i wouldn't write him off for good just yet...

#33 ·
"the diesal" physicaly has what it takes, even technique wise but he makes os many stupid decisions in his fights thats cause him to lose.

in his fight with diego he tried to beat diego to the punch with a huge looping shot cuz he probably didnt even think diego would hit him once standing, he ended up getting hit himself right on the button, then what does he do?

he still rocked so he tries to standup with diego running at him, on his feet just in time to eat a huge knee.

he could have saved himself twice in that fight, 2 bad choices caused him too lose. diego capitalized on those mistakes.

#35 ·
Its not like this was a huge upset or anything. I dunno why people are going crazy over it. Diego was by far the favorite to win this fight. In the weeks before lots of ppl were talkin about Riggs knocking him out and stuff and I swear most ppl thought he was going to win and thats why they are all disappointed. But the fact of the matter is that Diego is damn good, I never doubted him losing this fight for a second and couldnt believe after watching that fight with Karo that people actually thought Riggs was goin to win. He is a decent fighter, but thats it. I would like for him to stay in the UFC cause I enjoy watching him fight but if he does stay you gotta admit that he will never really be a real title contender.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.