MMA Forum - UFC Forums - UFC Results - MMA Videos - View Single Post - New to BJJ escaping side control

View Single Post

Old 12-17-2006, 11:01 AM   #14 (permalink)
astro2
MMA Fanatic

astro2 has a little shameless behaviour in the past
Quote:
I'm reading a few little things here. First, I don't mean just locking down my opponent and locking our positions, what I'm talking about is taking control of his arms so that I don't get pounded in the middle of my technique.

You are trying to creat distance by getting a knee in, the biggest problem with this in a street fight (not in BJJ competition) or MMA is that when you create an amount of distance like that you are still in a compromised position (where you can both get punched) and he is on the top, which gives him a definitive advantage. I don't want to do that, but that's just me.

What I suggest instead is closing the distance. It's a personal thing that I have, because it's much harder for an opponent to strike me when I am in control of his body in a tight, clinch-style hold. It is, however, equally easy for me to control his body, or his limbs depending on the position, so that I can get leverage and better my own situation.
I just can't believe that getting a knee in wouldn't be an improvment. With a knee you have control over distance and more opportunities for escaping into guard and pushing him away. You can still grapple with his arms when distance is close, and when distance is farther away you get more leverage for pushing, and hence you control his strike-ability even further.

Quote:
My mistake, I thought what you were talking about was a full back roll while slipping in the first leg hook/part of body triangle and taking his back rolling over his should, which is just an extension of the armbar I was talking about. Still, good stuff.
Wow, I still don't get what this technique does. But if I even understand the first part correctly, then you want a WHOLE leg to pass under your opponent? Not just the knee. This has to be slower/tougher then getting a knee in.

Quote:
If I seperate our bodies with my knee so that his chest is now above my chest then he has excellent leverage for punches and a very good position for a basic hammer-fist.

While he is lying on my chest it is actually pretty awkward for him to try and hammer-fist or straight-punch, so what he'll probably do (if he's smart) is go for short elbows.
The seperation with the knee is not between your chests. Your knee goes in the creese of his hip, or somewhere over his thigh etc. If he is lying very outstretched, then yes he is in a very awkward position to make strikes, and he is basically sacrificing strikes for control. This might be the time to hold his arms. But before he establishes this very controlling position you might have already have plenty of opportunities to get your knee in, or roll up and away from him.

Quote:
My issue is that the time you are giving your opponent while you: slip in your knee - push your opponent away - rotate your body - twist your hips - put your legs into position for guard, is more than enough time for a competent grappler to land a few shots. If any of these shots land with any force, it might not be too pretty.
Well, that chain of events aren't as slow as you seem to think. If you know how to do this correctly and time it well, you will actually just do one bridge over your shoulder and then pull in your knee. This is a big step forward. Your arms can still grapple with his and defend your head if you like. But to get space and leverage you need to push on his body preferably with your forearms, if you already had your arms in a good position, controlling the arm that is nearest your head with one arm, and the side of your head with the elbow of your other arm, then you are basically very near this position. Heck, I think you could even have it under his throat, if he moves for a strike you can elbow him in the head. Either way you have two arms against two arms.

Quote:
I understand that, from a wrestling standpoing, your knees are a good position to be. I have issues with trying to get there against an intelligent opponent because it is, again, a very compromised position. In a sport where striking is not allowed then I understand the logic but in a street fight there are few main worries like strikes to the body, elbows to the back and crown of the head and a handful of other strikes that you can conjure up getting from one position to another.
The main issue for me here is, when do you do it. Rolling up on all fours you do when there is still alot of space, or if for some reason there became alot of space. The first scenario is when you KNOW he is going to pass, then you accept it and instead of letting him force his way through you roll up and away. The second scenario, where the space was created, after he established position, could happen sometimes when he for some reason moves away.

But again I must tell you, that this is best suited for sport-BJJ. Even though there is a good foundation when strikes are involved, I have not covered specific aspects of how to avoid punches. But no matter what, if you get passed, then you can not against an almost equal opponent assume that you will not get hit. You have to accept some punishment for getting caught in this position. If you had been better, you already had 10 chances to escape, all the way through his pass. You can move your head around, play with his arms, push him with your knee, etc, all to make his punches very uncertain and he would have to be lucky to land a precis and hard one. Especially if you get your knee in, then he has not much transfer of punching power from his hips or further down to the ground, and you are also holding his weight off. Sissy-punches with bad accuracy, don't be afraid of them.
astro2 is offline   Reply With Quote