Mixed Martial Arts Forum banner

Things you shouldnt do.

6K views 14 replies 15 participants last post by  Rusty 
#1 ·
im doing muay thai and im just wondering what bad habbits shouldnt i get into. any help is appreciated.

#4 ·
If you ever go to Thailand, watch out for ladyboys. They're everywhere.

#11 ·
close your eyes. never bring your hands higher than your belt line. don't wear a mouthguard. hold your breath throughout your fights. spar with broken glass like in Bloodsport. hang from the heavy bags like a monkey. quietly remove the floor padding and stack it in the corner.

...that's all I can think of for now. You do all that and you're on your way to a title shot!

#12 ·
Don't leave your jab hanging out there too long.
Once you've fired your punches, get them back to your face instantly.
Fire your punches from your guard(lots of people drop their hands before they throw a punch and show it from a mile off).
Don't get too predictable. Mix things up a lot. Use little nuances between your strikes to keep people quessing.
Never flat foot with your backfoot. Stay on your toes so you can quickly get in and out of the mix. If you're caught flat on your feet with a punch, you're going straight off balance to the matt.
Keep your feet equal distance appart like they're tied with rope. One foot moves; the other follows.
Don't cut yourself off when circling. Your lead foot should be facing his back foot and your back foot should be facing his front foot.

Can't think of much else.

#14 ·
I realize I'm bumping an old thread but there was some stuff that didn't get covered here so if it gets on track it could be a good newbie thread

one thing I wanted to mention was if you are competing in front of a judge that is sort of traditional (likely if you are in Thailand or have a Thai on the judgeing pannel) variety of attack is looked upon favorably

it also helps you score anyway so is a good concept to employ

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.