MMA Forum - UFC Forums - UFC Results - MMA Videos - View Single Post - How does Spong measure up?

View Single Post

Old 03-05-2009, 12:33 AM   #6 (permalink)
plazzman
-I came|I saw|I failed-

plazzman Is Untouchableplazzman Is Untouchableplazzman Is Untouchableplazzman Is Untouchableplazzman Is Untouchableplazzman Is Untouchableplazzman Is Untouchableplazzman Is Untouchableplazzman Is Untouchableplazzman Is Untouchableplazzman Is Untouchable
Shit alright, I forgot to give me thoughts.

Since you're write-up is pretty solid, I'll just list what I disagree with.

Quote:
vs Remy Bonjasky - This is the fight I really want to see because these guys fight very similar. I would give the edge to Remy in defense and kicks and give Spong the edge in boxing. I would also give Spong the edge in putting strikes together because Remy's boxing while improved just isn't as good. As of right now, I would pick Remy on points but a very competitive fight
You should also mention Remy's leg kicks, which will really give Spong shitfits

Quote:
vs Badr Hari - Interesting fight, Hari is a bad dude that can put any fighter to sleep when he connects. Has good boxing and good kicks, defense leaves a lot to be desired and he doesn't have a great chin but he has got some crazy recovery ability. Spong would use the same tactics that Remy has used against Hari and may catch Hari coming in but I would have to pick Hari by points as of now
This is sort of true, but I for some reason still see Hari taking it. It's a serious toss-up but I just have Hari ahead currently. I'll give my final verdict after Saki/Spong
Quote:
vs Peter Aerts - Aerts takes this and may stop Spong. Tyrone has a tendency to take some leg kicks instead of checking them and that's not good against Peter. Spong would need to move a lot to try and tire Peter out and then go after him.
You know, I just can't see Aerts really stopping anyone these days, especially at the caliber of Spong. I think he can be overwhelmed easily by Spong the same way he was overwhelmed by Hari. He's just too slow these days. But I'd love to see how Aerts looks in his next match to give a final verdict.

Quote:
vs Ewerton Teixeira - Another fight I feel Tyrone could win now. Ewerton surprised the shit out of me with how improved his boxing got between his fights with Musashi and Errol. With that said, Spong is better everywhere and would probably take this on points.
Spong IS better everywhere, and Teix doesn't handle well with faster fighters who can close the distance. Teix's boxing has improved, but he still doesn't like getting hit in the head. A good, tight boxer will always beat him.

Quote:
vs Gökhan Saki - Well we shall see how this fight goes in a month but I am taking Spong on points here. Spong just needs to worry about Saki's kicks and keep moving so he can take advantage of his reach and boxing advantage.
Saki can get careless sometimes with his flashiness, and I could see Spong catching him with a quick one. But then again, I can see Saki catching Spong with one of those quick ones as well. But we'll see soon

Quote:
vs Jerome Le Banner - This could go a lot like JLB/Remy with the difference being Spong could offer JLB more in the way of his boxing. But at this point I think Jerome is just to damn big and knows how to deal with fighters like Spong for Spong to win. Jerome on points.
That's very true, but the question is CAN he. He's become very much like Aerts in that his body just isn't what it used to be. And a faster kid will almost always beat him (certainly not easily though) But as always, all Jerome has to do is connect.

Although I will say, Jerome didn't look bad at all vs. Schilt.
plazzman is offline   Reply With Quote