MMA Forum - UFC Forums - UFC Results - MMA Videos - View Single Post - I Need More Power!

View Single Post

Old 12-27-2006, 09:15 AM   #21 (permalink)
I.P.Freely
Bantamweight

I.P.Freely is an unknown quantity at this pointI.P.Freely is an unknown quantity at this pointI.P.Freely is an unknown quantity at this point
Wow! Another thread I feel like I can contribute to.

As Onganju rightly said, it's all about acceleration. IMO, in practical terms that means 'snap'. You have to get the motion of a punch to be loose until the last moment, and then unload all the power- the 'snap'. If you don't do it like that, your punch is just a hard push. Very strong people can still do a lot of damage like that, but smaller people not so much. But you need to get someone to teach you- getting this right in some punches is tricky.

It is often said that most people have an aversion to hitting someone full on, and hold back a little. So they say that, at least initially, you should aim to hit a little way back into the target, e.g. when you go to hit them in the gut, imagine you are going to hit them in the spine. Personally I'm not 100% sure about this- someone else can probably vertify.

What people said about having good, firm contact with the ground is 100% right, as is using hip and shoulder.

With all of these things, I would recommend playing with them to get the feel. Get in front of a heavy bag and do it in an exagerated way plenty of times to make sure your body totally feels it. Then practice thousands and thousands of times over.
I.P.Freely is offline   Reply With Quote