MMA Forum - UFC Forums - UFC Results - MMA Videos - View Single Post - How many pull ups/chin ups can you do?

View Single Post

Old 12-27-2006, 10:22 PM   #37 (permalink)
I.P.Freely
Bantamweight

I.P.Freely is an unknown quantity at this pointI.P.Freely is an unknown quantity at this pointI.P.Freely is an unknown quantity at this point
Quote:
Originally Posted by WouldLuv2FightU
I just started doing pull ups at work in my factory on a hoist lol. I do them every other day, started about a week ago. I can force myself to do 15 now before it was about 10. In a week I've added 5 and I expect to be able to do 20 by the end of next week. I'd like to be able to do about 35 without struggling, that would be nice. Haven't tried the chin ups I don't think. I have my palms facing me so whatever that is, that's what I do.

I do have a question though, are chin ups/pull ups something you should do in reps or just do as many as you can and that's it. Cuz it seems if you do reps, you gotta wait a good 3-4 minutes before you can go another set, and even then it is a lot harder the 2nd and 3rd time around. But is it bad because you let your muscles cool down and then go again? I'm not a weightlifter I don't know much about it but I am getting more involved and starting to get addicted to it a little. I don't know much about reps and sets and such.
Yes, do repetitions. Aim for three sets of roughly the same number. Do whatever you can do. You don't have the range of options that you have with weights, because your body weight is (relatively) fixed.

BTW you're going to get really unbalanced if you do only that exercise. You've got four major motions from a standing position-

1. pushing something away from you along the ground,
2. pulling something towards you on the ground,
3. pushing something upwards above your head
4. pulling something above you down towards your head.

Pullups mainly strengthen 4, and help with 2 a bit as well. But it leaves 1 and 3 alone totally. So you need to find a way to improve those, too.
I.P.Freely is offline   Reply With Quote