Mixed Martial Arts Forum banner

Supplments that work and dont work!

7K views 88 replies 21 participants last post by  recon6991 
#1 ·
Here are the supplements that work and all you need.
Protein (Whey or Casein)
Multivitamin
Water

Everything else is pretty much junk.

Creatine is junk, I tried to takei t for 2 years, did nothing but give me diarrhea and horrible stomach pain.

Nitric Oxide, yes it gives you pumps but you dont need becasue if you work out properly, you will get pumps.

Anything that is made by BSN is junk.

Anything that claims to promote testosterone is junk
Tribulus
ZMA
GABA

DHEA, is junk, it has the ability to give you too much estrogen, it is not chemically structured properly to increase your testosterone and only people over 50 should even consider it, if a doctor reccomends it.

Anything that claims to increase growth hormone is junk i.e. "Humagro" or "Always Young Renewal"

Celltech is junk, it's nothing but sugar and creatine.

Majority of the products on Bodybuilding.com are junk and the ads are so fake it's rediculous.

I have use animalpak, it's just a waste of money, you pee your money right out.

You don't need 10 times the amount of vitamiins your body requires each day to improve anything.

Isoflavones are junk, they are fake, they do nothing at all. i.e. Methoxy

Anti-estrogen would only work if it were by prescription.

Glutamine I haven't tried yet but I will.

Other Amino Acids such as BCAA are not needed because your whey protein contains enough and plus your diet of meat should contain BCAA in it already, so no need to go buy 10 lbs of BCAA.

I've never tried HMB or Leucine but maybe I will someday.
I've never tried Casein protein but maybe I will some day!

Remember, if it isn't natural stuff like protein, vitamin and water, it's just junk without a presscription, it is not real.

Other supplements:

5-htp & Melatonin
seem to work pretty well to help me sleep.

Yohimbine HCL, increased my heart rate, gave me chest pains and hallucinations.

FAT BURNERS!

Are the biggest fakest crap out there, majority of all of them are just pills filled with stimulants, usually caffeine, with high prices that you could be paying $5 for 10 times the amount they sell it to you for and it doesn't burn fat it just gives you a lot of energy and it's a diuretic so you crap your brains out.

Don't buy any expensive brands, do not buy any combo supplements, stick to pure form supps so you know exactly what you're using and know it well.

Stick to the basics!

If it isn't FDA approved or backed by strict and strong clinical studies with sources cited, then it's not real either.

Shop around and be frugal, go with pure form generic brands, bodybuilding.com store is too expensive for most of their products.

Bulknutrition is a pretty good place for certain things.

Island Supplements isn't too bad of a place for the right stuff.

If you have any questions, please ask me and I wll try to answer them if I can.

See less See more
#3 ·
I have tried it myself, different kinds for 2 years and I know a lot of people who have tried it.

It doesn't work, at least not for everyone.

All it ever did was give me severe diarrhea, bloating and horrible stomach pain.

#9 ·
food is not a supplement

You had severe diarrhea for 2 years??

Nitric Oxide is definitely not junk either...
No I didn't have it nonstop, but I would stop taking it sometimes, try it again, then try a different brand, different types. I didn't say Nitric Oxide didn't work I said you dont need it, if you are not getting a pump while you're working out, then you are not working out properly, that's a fact.

#13 ·
I got news for you buddy. This post doesn't work. You claim that none of these products work because you have tried them? Have you not taken into account that everyone responds to things differently because nobody's body is exactly alike?

-Creatine is not junk, even though I haven't used it in over a year it does work (Monohydrate at least and there are clinical studies to back the claims.

-Not everything made by BSN is junk, I like their endorush and it works pretty well same with Syntha-6

-ZMA has been proven to stimulate hormone levels and there are a shit-ton of people who swear by it. If Patrick Arnold thinks Conte's ingenuity on the concept was remarkable, that's about as good as it gets.

GABA has never claimed to promote the stimulation of testosterone. It's meant to promote the release of GH, but I've only used it for benefits of relaxation given I'm very high strung.

-I've known people who have gotten Gynecomastia by using Tribulus based products. While some people including myself are non-responders to it, that doesn't make it complete junk.

DHEA will do more harm than good for anyone under 40, but that doesn't make it junk. Too much Estrogen for males is not a good thing, but too little Estrogen is just as bad. You need estrogen for joint function, sexual function and to gain mass.

Cell Tech is junk, I agree.

While 11 Pills is a lot for a Multi (Animal Pak) that doesn't make it crap. If you mean peeing neon green, that just excess B Vitamins. Pretty much every Multivitamin has more than the 100% recommended daily value of most of the listed vitamins

Prescription Anti-E's and SERMS are going to work better than any Over the Counter Anti Aromatase compounds but that doesn't make them junk either. There are several clinical studies to back up Novadex XT's ability to increase Free Test and Reduce Estradiol Levels.

Stim Cocktail are an easy way for lazy people to lose fat/weight but they do work even though the long term sides are not worth the short term results

Nothing sold by the GNC, Bodybuilding.com, Vitamin Shoppe is regulated by the FDA (with the exception of Alli, not even Protein or Multivitamins. I don't know if you heard but the IDS brand of Protein was discovered to have 6g of protein when they claimed it had around 40 and was loaded with sugar.

#16 ·
I completely agree with southpaw. I really dont like how you posted this as a guide almost, given that you give no scientific knowledge, just you're experience and opinion. For a guy who "body builded" for 5 years you really dont know shit about supplements. I've had great success with creatine, and currently take ZMA and it seems to be working fine. Also, I have used lipo-6 and hydroxy cut and had great results, fat burners do exactly what they say. What do you think all those stimulants do in you? Have you ever seen someone who is a cokehead? Skinny as shit. Like southpaw said, proteins aren't regulated by the FDA. You must be one of those guys who think steroids are the epitome of evil huh?

Reactions: southpaw447
#17 ·
creatine works if you don't use it too often. If you take it you can experience stomach cramps and all kinds off muscle cramps if you don't drink enough water or have enough "K". I usually will get cramps in my calves. Whey protein and mega multivitamin or animal pack for the serious athlete work also. I agree that everything else is just junk.

#18 ·
1.do your research because i'm not going to do it for you.
2. ZMA and trib it works really? try having to be over 40 for it work duh!

3. Gaba does claim to raise testosterone but it doesn't

4. natural test boosters dont really work andonly work on people who are old and don't have natural test levels. do yoru freaking research. gosh.

How did I take the creatine?

I tried different ways, pills, with water, with protein shake, it all did the same thing.

Never tried the liquid form because the liquid form becomes diluted or something so it ends up not working at all.

I just believe it's a waste of money to be using stuff you do not need and wont help you unless you are that old man with low testosterone or w/e.

The only real supplement that's going to raise yoru testosterone is prescription drugs like steroids and other hormones.

oh btw, Panax Ginseng, I'm not sure if it raises your test butit sure does raise your libido in high dosages.

#22 ·
1.do your research because i'm not going to do it for you.
Is that a way of saying that this research doesn't exist? You sit there and spew anecdotal claims that products do and don't work based on your personal experiences? Who can take you seriously. And you claim you're a bodybuilder? That career choice must have been short lived.

There is research out there you just don't want to accept the fact that it worked for other people and not you.

2. ZMA and trib it works really? try having to be over 40 for it work duh!
Tell that to the people over at bodybuilding.com and Anabolicminds.com and guarantee you'll get the shit negged out of you for being a moron. You can't argue with results.

I'd say that if someone gets Gynecomastia from Tribulus, I'd say it's doing something.

Ross Enamait also swears by ZMA and I suppose he's full of shit too right? I guess Patrick Arnold the genius behind THG and Andro, his word doesn't mean anything right?

3. Gaba does claim to raise testosterone but it doesn't
http://www.bodybuilding.com/store/gaba.html

I don't see anything here about raising testosterone, do you? Anyway how is an inhibitory neurotransmitter going to have any effect on Testosterone. Please Enlighten me.

4. natural test boosters dont really work andonly work on people who are old and don't have natural test levels. do yoru freaking research. gosh.
I took Mass FX and had some nice gains in mass, feeling of well being, energy and libido and I'm 20. I suppose me and the people over at all the bodybuilding forums are full of shit too huh. Go read some logs over there and then tell me it's still bullshit.

I just believe it's a waste of money to be using stuff you do not need and wont help you unless you are that old man with low testosterone or w/e.
It may have more effect on someone with low hormone levels but that doesn't mean if it's introduced to the body of a person with already naturally high levels that it won't do anything. Stop being Dumb.

#19 ·
Show me some science behind that. I am 18 and ZMA is working for me. My recruiter takes trib and he is a monster and swears by it. LOL I didnt ask you to research it, I know enough about supps, but if you are posting something like this, proof is nice! Claiming stuff wont work unless you are old with low test is just plain narrow minded. Just because something didn't work for you does not mean it wont work. Have you seen Brandon Curry? He is sponsored by BSN, and he is a beast (BSN + AAS). You are telling me (us?) to do research because you posted an opinionated guide to supps with no evidence to that facts. That is just ignorant.

#20 ·
Let's not make posts claiming they are factual when they aren't.

I don't feel like breaking down your post completely so I'll address a few things.

The one part of your post that was right was about Creatine. Creatine "works" but what it does is it makes your cells store more water. This causes your muscles to swell and look bigger. Once you stop taking Creatine you will lose the mass you gained because your cells will no longer need to hold that much water.

As for the Nitric Oxide it does work. It's a vasolidator. That means it dialates your blood vessels allowing more blood to flow which in turn supplies more oxygen to your muscles. It will give you longer pumps but that's because of the increased blood flow. It does work.

#23 ·
You still haven't convinced me, half of what you say can be easily dismissed as placebo effect.

The Gaba thing, it must've been deleted, there was oneon there that said it would raise your test levels by 800%, I kid you not.

Again I never said that NOS didn't work.

Creatine is a waste of money and did not work for me, if it worked for you good for you.

You're young and natural test boosters worked for you? placebo effect, go over to bb.com adn let them neg you into deep red hell for your beliefs.

#24 ·
You still haven't convinced me, half of what you say can be easily dismissed as placebo effect.
I could give a shit less about trying to convince you. I'm past trying to do that seeing as you are clearly stuck on stupid. Just read around on bodybuilding.com, you're a member go read some logs.

The Gaba thing, it must've been deleted, there was oneon there that said it would raise your test levels by 800%, I kid you not.
That sounds like a marketing claim not the results of a scientific study.

You're young and natural test boosters worked for you? placebo effect, go over to bb.com adn let them neg you into deep red hell for your beliefs.
http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=1003937&page=1

http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=3610751

http://anabolicminds.com/forum/supplement-reviews-logs/104521-my-novedex-xt.html

http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=113837791

#31 ·
Youve gotta be kidding horus. You dismiss any experience besides your own as placebo? thats funny, just go troll somewhere else because you dont have anything to add to a discuss about supps

#37 ·
It takes someone who is incredibly lazy to blame anything on genetics. Genetics only play a large role when you are at a competition level, which, given your knowledge, I'm assuming you are no where near.

#38 ·
OWNED!!!

Anyways, don't be so sure to just disregard Creatine and other supplements. There is a 22 year old dude in my gym who gained over 35 lbs of muscle over the summer. He used Nitrix, N.O. Xplode, Cell Mass, True Mass, Syntha-6, Axis-HT, Animal Pak, The whole Trifekta stack, and some other stuff. I could literally see a difference each week, it was insane.

Creatine is scientificly proven to work. Either, you went with cheap junk creatine, you are a non-creatine responder, you were using other supplements that screwed up your creatine, you didn't work hard enough, you didn't use it long enough, you overtrained, you screwed up omn your creatine dosage, or you are just so friggin lazy you wont buy creatine so you wanna discredit it.

#79 ·
OWNED!!!

Anyways, don't be so sure to just disregard Creatine and other supplements. There is a 22 year old dude in my gym who gained over 35 lbs of muscle over the summer. He used Nitrix, N.O. Xplode, Cell Mass, True Mass, Syntha-6, Axis-HT, Animal Pak, The whole Trifekta stack, and some other stuff. I could literally see a difference each week, it was insane.

Creatine is scientificly proven to work. Either, you went with cheap junk creatine, you are a non-creatine responder, you were using other supplements that screwed up your creatine, you didn't work hard enough, you didn't use it long enough, you overtrained, you screwed up omn your creatine dosage, or you are just so friggin lazy you wont buy creatine so you wanna discredit it.
Holy ******* shit! 35lbs in one summer!!! Was the dude cycling like enough steroids to kill a horse? I can't put on weight for shit :(

Creatine works and does what is say it does... to an extent.

I've used it in several forms (Mono, CEE, Kre Alkalyn)

Mono is the only form that really did anything. I took it in the form of Vitargo CGL which was a Creatine Mono/Waxy Maize Combo.

I put on some size but I couldn't stand the bloating.

I tried Kre Alkalyn a while ago and didn't notice a damn thing.

CEE was in one of the Pre Workout supplements I took and I didn't know if it was doing anything or not.

I've gained about 30lbs since last summer without the help of Creatine so you don't really need it.
I have no idea what kind of creatine I took in high school but it was like a pinkish/purple liquid mix I drank and rotated water/juice etc with.

All im taking now is wheybolic extreme protein shake shit from GNC, GNC mega men vitomen pack and fish oil. What if anything would you recommend for me to add to my stack of stuff to build lean muscle? I know I need to increase my calories and cut back on cardio, but ive been to afraid to lose mah abs/obs but ive always wanted to get bigger, i was around 180ish at my best weight in high school, im about 168ish now. (price is no object)

#39 ·
Wow, I actually agreed with some of the start of this thread but it quickly declined.

Why do you keep starting threads only to start telling mods to lock them? Mods rarely lock threads, they generally only do it if they start getting a lot of complaints or if things get ridiclously heated. Stop doing that for one thing.

Also, you can't expect anyone to take what you say seriously when you use anecdotal evidence and fail to provide any legitimate sources like scientific studies. People here(for the most part) are just going to call you a retard if you do that.

Anyway, I'll agree most supplememnts are junk.

Southpaw, why is your avatar Kurt Angle? You lose a sig bet?

Reactions: googly
#40 ·
Southpaw, why is your avatar Kurt Angle? You lose a sig bet?
I was getting sick of the Duke Nukem avatar. Plus I remember when I was still into Pro Wrestling, I though Kurt did some of the funniest promos.

I remember when I was I think 11 or 12 I went to a book store near my house and met him and he autographed a copy of his book for me, he's actually a really cool guy

#46 ·
Creatine works and does what is say it does... to an extent.

I've used it in several forms (Mono, CEE, Kre Alkalyn)

Mono is the only form that really did anything. I took it in the form of Vitargo CGL which was a Creatine Mono/Waxy Maize Combo.

I put on some size but I couldn't stand the bloating.

I tried Kre Alkalyn a while ago and didn't notice a damn thing.

CEE was in one of the Pre Workout supplements I took and I didn't know if it was doing anything or not.

I've gained about 30lbs since last summer without the help of Creatine so you don't really need it.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.