Mixed Martial Arts Forum banner

training for first amateur fight

3K views 15 replies 9 participants last post by  Brian Masters 
#1 ·
Hey guys I want to fight in my first MMA Amateur event soon and just thought I'd throw my schedule up on here and see if you guys think it's adequate!

MONDAY/WEDNESDAY/FRIDAY: Hour of Circuit Training, hour of Boxing

THURSDAY/FRIDAY: 2 hours of Jiu-Jitsu, hour of boxing
SATURDAY: hour of Jiu-Jitsu

Im still a junior in high school so I feel I am literally going as much as I can, so considering more than half of my day is lost to school, is this enough training for my first amateur fight!?

#3 ·
What do you do for circuit training, Specifically.

Write down your entire workout that you do on those specific days.

How much sleep do you get?

What is your diet like?

How "soon" is your first fight?

Do you feel you are doing enough?

You need to go into more specifics if you want helpful advice.

Just giving vague descriptions is not going to help.

When you say curcuit training how do we know what you are doing? You could be doing curls, leg presses and pull-ups!

Be specific!

#4 ·
The circuit training changes every time but its generally a mix of plyometrics and running for warm up. Then we go through a set of 5 or 6 different excersices with very little rest in between sets. An example day is like this
30 sec rollouts
10 sec rest
30 sec double unders
10 sec rest
30 sec jump squats
10 sec rest
30 sec 1 handed stability pushups
10 sec rest
30 sec kettlebell squat and presses
10 sec rest
30 sec hanging stability pushups
10 sec rest
30 sec cable hammer fists

then we keep going through like that in rapid cadence and every 2x through they mix up the movements and excersices.

I get about 8 to 9 hours of sleep every night, my diet is good, I don't eat that much, 2000-2300 calories max, but my breakfast is always eggs or oatmeal. My lunch at school is stuff like peanut butter on whole wheat bagels, tuna on whole wheat bagels, chicken, meats, sandwiches. I have those with fruits and vegetables and a protein bar. When I get home from school before I go train I just have a protein shake and a banana. When I get home I have my moms dinner which is healthy, good stuff. There is no actual scheduled fight I just plan on putting myself out there soon. I feel like I am doing quite a bit ya.

#5 ·
what im noticing is you're not getting any kicking in here, at all...you're gunna get raped if you dont know how to deal with the leg kicks, or throw your own for that matter

also, you may want to get some pure strength training in here somewhere, for obvious purposes

#6 ·
On tuesday and thursday at the MMA class we do a lot of kicking/counter kicking and defense of the kicks. Also, not saying I am, but just curious-if someone is a really good striker can they fight in MMA just working on Jiu-Jitsu like once a week and being not that good?

#8 ·
I think you are doing enough, One thing I would make sure of though is that your coach talks to the promoter to insure that you get an even matchup, someone also making their debut or only has one fight under their belt. I know one thing I always struggled with when I was in high school(still do sometimes, im only 19) is grown ass men being much stronger than me so maybe try to get an opponent who is not like 25 lol. Just dont have some promoter who knows nothing about you match you up with someone who he knows nothing about or is boys with, it happens a lot.

#9 ·
I agree with Tyson

I'd throw in more power and strength exercises

Squats (Regular and Box)
Deadlifts
Power Cleans
Tire Flips + Sledgehammer
Box Jumps
Hyperextensions
Farmers Walk
Med Ball Slams
Lunges

and a lot of core work.

Don't be afraid to use some heavy weight.

The workout you are doing right now, IMO, doesn't have enough strength and power involved.

Definitely get a lot of protein and a good amount of carbs and fats. Get in some Vegatables and Fruits too.

Make sure you don't skimp on the water supply. Drink around a gallon per day. Maybe look into an electrolyte supplement to use during, after workouts/training.

#10 ·
so wait? Practicing Jiu-Jitsu only once or so a week and being not that good I could still be successful in MMA? I also definitely wouldn't take a fight until I knew who it was I was against. I really am not doing much weightlifting but I talked to my trainers there and they said this circuit training is enough?? I agree however there are no heavyweights and even for the one kettle bell section we do it is a relatively light KB.

#12 ·
MMA is about Balance. You need to have a balanced skill set if you want to achieve success. Therefore don't skip out on doing BJJ if you have to opportunity. Too much of one thing isn't a good thing, bro.

Some of the exercises your trainers have you doing are good but you need to throw in more functional exercises. What you have is basically a "cardio bunny" workout.

#11 ·
Those trainers are idiots. Strenght training may be the least important aspect of trianing for fighters(compared to technique and cario) , but it's still important.

I'd try to do the kind of stuff SP is suggesting, with a pressing movement added.

#16 ·
Hey...
Your definitely getting great advice here from the posts already, and I would implement it if i were you. But so far its all on physical preperation. I admire your discipline with the training program your doing and still being in school, but it would be a major error to neglect the mental preparation. I notice your training doesn't involve visualisation, meditation, hypnosis, NLP, All great tools for any fighter.
So here's a little something to get you started with the mental prep.
It's an article I wrote for a mag on "tapping into fear"
Let me know how you get on, and if you like it check out * <a href="http://www.demandvictory.com/">
http://www.demandvictory.com</a> for more

Cheers, Brian.

Fear as a friend - Exactly how to “Tap into fear” by Brian Masters

In keeping with the http://www.demandvictory.com promise… Here is a step by step process, with no BS, for tapping into your fear, no jargon, no psychobabble, all tried and tested.
Saying to a fighter “Tap into your fear” may seem like good advice but it’s exactly like telling a sprinter “Run faster than everyone else”. Both pieces of advice are useless unless you know how!

1. The first step is to accept the fear is there, Don’t try to deny it or make it leave, take a deep breath or two and simply accept. Fighting against it fear make it worse. Like if I say to you, whatever you do, don’t think of a pink elephant. First thing you think of is a pink elephant. The more you try to not think of it the more you actually do think of it.

2. The next step is to choose a positive thought, like happiness for example. Now, strange as this might seem, just try it, I promise it works. Choose a reason to be happy (or whatever positive thought you had) about being fearful. As in, what are the reasons to be happy about feeling fear? The first one’s that spring to my mind are: Firstly you should feel happy about being fearful because at least it means you are alive! That’s always good. Then you feel happy about being fearful because it means your brain and body are functioning normally, you would probably be a danger to yourself and others if you never felt fear and it would also probably mean you were insane if you never felt fear. What other reasons do you come up with for being happy about being fearful?

3. Next, take it one step further. Choose another positive state of mind or thought. We’ll use the example of ecstatic here. Then think of a few reasons you are ecstatic about being happy about being fearful. EG: you’re ecstatic about being happy because it means you have a level of control over the fear now, your ecstatic about being happy, about being happy fearful because now you can just get on with the fight and have the extra energy for the fight! You could keep going here. Like thinking of reasons to be euphoric about being ecstatic about being happy about being fearful, the limits are endless!

4. My personal favourite step. Go back and try to be fearful without any of the other positive states of mind coming into your head. You’ll find it impossible to hold the fear in your mind without it being changed, even slightly, by the positive thoughts. And as we said at the start, the more you try to resist the positive thoughts or deny they are there, the stronger they will become.

Just like any other part of your training, the more you practice it, the better you will become at it. Remember: Your mind is like a muscle and requires decent training to keep it at its strongest. If you don’t give your brain a workout every so often, you are killing it off slowly. So now you have a great work out, step by step nice and simple, so no more excuses!
Feel free to send me an email with any feedback, questions, comments etc… to askbrianmasters@gmail.com and I’ll help you out with what I can.

Brian Masters is Not responsible for effects of this information. It is strictly for entertainment purposes only, as in this is not medical advice. This is just me sharing the story about what worked for me.
Copyright © 2009 Brian Masters, http://www.demandvictory.com

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.