MMA Forum - UFC Forums - UFC Results - MMA Videos - View Single Post - Back to Basics

Thread: Back to Basics
View Single Post

Old 04-19-2009, 03:07 PM   #141 (permalink)
IronMan
True Grappler

IronMan Is A BallerIronMan Is A BallerIronMan Is A BallerIronMan Is A BallerIronMan Is A BallerIronMan Is A BallerIronMan Is A BallerIronMan Is A BallerIronMan Is A BallerIronMan Is A BallerIronMan Is A Baller
Quote:
Originally Posted by Venetian View Post
Hey guys!!
I haven't done bjj that long (5 months actually) and while im getting better and better each time i get stuck in a situation with some guys i train with.
That's what the thread is here for.

Quote:
Basically these guys continiously go for front/lapel style chokes when i land in their guard.
-I was taught to keep one hand pressed to them so i could stop their second hand from reaching my collar/lapel. Eventually they'll use their legs bring me in close and catch me that way.
O.K., here's your problem:

It's not enough to just press a hand on the guy and push yourself up, so let me walk you through the basic guard posture.
  1. Sit back so that your ass is on your heels.
  2. Keep your shoulders over your hips and your hips over your feet.
  3. Keep your hands on your opponents belt (for gi) or hips (for no-gi).
  4. Keep your elbows in tight when you can.
  5. If they try and sit up, push the belt up (gi) or apply pressure higher (no-gi).
  6. From there, work to crack the closed guard by attacking the inside of their legs.

Now, here are a list of things to be careful of in the guard.
  1. Do not lean forward past their hips, as you will get broken down immediately.
  2. Do not let one arm drop out of the guard without keeping the elbow of the arm tight, so you can avoid the triangle.
  3. Do not let your opponent sit out of the guard without grabbing control of his pants and working to pass.

Quote:
-I never voluntarily go down (i try to stay postured) but these guys always manage to pull me down into the choke.
If they're breaking your posture, that means your posture is not as good as it needs to be. Keep working these basics. Hopefully the pointers will help, but it's really one of those things you just have to do.

Remember to stay relaxed in the guard. Remember not to lean forward.

Most of all, though, remember to work the legs for the pass. If they're worried about you passing, then they'll be more focused on maintaining position than securing the choke.

Quote:
-I can check the guys hand (ive also tried the telephone) but then i just end up continiously defending when i really gotta get moving with the guard break.
Then tuck the chin and go balls-to-the-wall with the pass. If you dip the jaw down to your collarbone to make it hard to finish the choke, then work quickly on the position.

It may not work, but it's worth practicing, as it may pay off if you can get through.

Still, though, focus on the posture in the guard, as I think that's almost certainly your problem.

Quote:
Apologies for my lack of knowledge/experience aswell.
No worries. Everyone starts somewhere.

Sig by Toxic

Barnett - Toquinho -Werdum - "Nurmie"
Z. Gurgel - Morango - Rocha - Tiequan
IronMan is offline   Reply With Quote