MMA Forum - UFC Forums - UFC Results - MMA Videos - View Single Post - Back to Basics

Thread: Back to Basics
View Single Post

Old 05-04-2009, 11:07 AM   #144 (permalink)
IronMan
True Grappler

IronMan Is A BallerIronMan Is A BallerIronMan Is A BallerIronMan Is A BallerIronMan Is A BallerIronMan Is A BallerIronMan Is A BallerIronMan Is A BallerIronMan Is A BallerIronMan Is A BallerIronMan Is A Baller
Quote:
Originally Posted by Randomus View Post
IronMan:

Any tips on how to get out of a situation related to scarfmount.

I was rolling with someone who got into scarfmount position, put his legs over my head, and eventually caught me in a kimura. I figured out what he was attempting to do when he put his leg over my head, but by then it was far too late to get out of it.

Any quick tips on getting out of scarf mount?
Alright, I'm going to assume that scarf mount and scarf hold are the same thing, if they're not, then correct me.

The scarf hold, I should note, is really only when they have control of the head alone. When they have the underhook on the other side, it becomes a totally different position.

First, I should get out the way two things.
  1. I hate this position.
  2. The best way to escape is never to be there.

Still, since I've started doing judo I've spent a lot of time working on this position, as most of my training partners really, really like it.

The first thing to do is keep yourself from getting flat (this is always the first thing to do when your opponent is in a dominant position). With this particular position that means getting one of your shoulders off of the mat.

The best way to do that is to twist your hips towards your opponent. This will bring your far shoulder off of the mat.

In gi grappling, you can reach around to grab the belt (which establishes control) and then roll back over your shoulders so that they're on their back, which reverses the position.

In no-gi, when you can't grab the belt, you can still execute that same reversal, but, frankly, it's much harder.

I prefer, once I twist my hips up, to turn my hips over (so that I come up to my knees), get that hook around the body (without the gi, there's no belt to grab, but it's the same hook) and then sit back to pop the head out. This can put some strain on the neck, but once the head is out, you have control of the back.

Sig by Toxic

Barnett - Toquinho -Werdum - "Nurmie"
Z. Gurgel - Morango - Rocha - Tiequan
IronMan is offline   Reply With Quote