Mixed Martial Arts Forum banner

Who would you bet on?

Diego Sanchez vs. Gilbert Melendez

660 views 8 replies 7 participants last post by  WouldLuv2FightU 
#1 · (Edited)
Who else thinks this fight would be insane? I think they are both very similar in their aggressive and relentless styles and both have insane cardio. They are both undefeated too so this fight would be cool.

Melendez seems to have the edge in the standup, but he is pretty sloppy. He needs some work. I've seen plenty of fights from him to know this. He goes at it full-force but his form is very amatuer and I don't think I've ever seen him KO anyone or even TKO anyone. His ground game is pretty good but again, I've never seen him submit anyone.

Diego has the edge on the ground I think. Diego's ground and pound can be unstoppable at times. Ask Gassaway, Diaz, and a whole slew of others. His standup is improving but Melendez will more than likely overwhelm him with his energy and non stop style.

If I had a gun to my head I would pick Melendez via unanimous decision.

What about you all?

And don't give me that crap that Melendez would win cuz he fights in PRIDE. He's not that great compared to Sanchez.

But I may have made a mistake now that I think about it....would Melendez be able to fight at 170? I keep forgetting he is a lightweight but he looks pretty big. I'm not sure how much he weighs when he fights in PRIDE but it looks to be around 160-165....could be wrong though.

See less See more
#3 ·
Diego is too big and too strong. Not his biggest fan, but Melendez fights at 160 in Pride and I believe he was a LW in SF and Shooto (not a 100%). Diego on the other hand won the 185 TUF and dropped down to 170. Hence, I have to go with Diego due to Geophysics.

#4 ·
Wow that would be an awesome fight! I don't even care who would win, I just want to see it! It would be a toss-up, but if I have to pick a winner, I'm going with Diego by reason of size.

#5 ·
Yeah I remember reading somewhere that Melendez has fought at 143 so I think he would look pretty small compared to Diego. If they both were the same weight I would pick Melendez. I believe he his wrestling would get Diego to the ground and I dunno....I would say Melendez has the better GnP but I agree Melendez looks really sloppy sometimes and Diego never looks sloppy to me.

I voted on Diego just because he is Diego and Melendez has come alot closer to getting that first "L". I am going to hate it when either of them finally gets beat. I respect the hell out of both the guys, they are so entertaining.

#7 ·
I thought I heard he fought at FW too. I never saw any of those fights though. Man, he doesn't look that small in PRIDE or WEC. I know he isn't 145 in PRIDE or WEC but he even looks too big to be 160 IMO. Even at 160, that's only about a 10 pound difference. Would still be a good fight I guess...

#9 ·
steveo412 said:
Melendez fight with kawajiri was awesome. I would say it was fight of the weekend out of UFC and PRIDE. Personally I though Kawajiri should have won that fight but either way it was close as hell.

I would still have to take Diego against Melendez.
Yea I was kinda surprised it was a unanimous decision. :dunno:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.