Mixed Martial Arts Forum banner

Judo

1K views 8 replies 5 participants last post by  kishiro 
#1 ·
could someone explain to me the basics of judo and how it applies to mma

#2 ·
judo is a good base for mma, explosiveness in the moves, takedowns, body control(very over looked, "you may have 1billion submissions in your game, but who will you submit when your face down in the mat, and they are on your back?"), locks, chokes, the proper way to fall, how to defend from all these.

#4 ·
Judo has all of the ground control of wrestling and many of the takedowns. It also uses a different variety of takedowns that add alot of explosiveness to an MMA game.

There is also instruction of submissions, which is very good for developing a good basis, and they're usually alot easier to use after you slam your opponent on his head.

Karo Parysian is a good example of judo being used to maximum effect in MMA. Hidehiko is really the big name judo guy, but I don't see him use alot of it in his MMA fighting.

#5 ·
IronMan said:
Judo has all of the ground control of wrestling and many of the takedowns. It also uses a different variety of takedowns that add alot of explosiveness to an MMA game.

There is also instruction of submissions, which is very good for developing a good basis, and they're usually alot easier to use after you slam your opponent on his head.

Karo Parysian is a good example of judo being used to maximum effect in MMA. Hidehiko is really the big name judo guy, but I don't see him use alot of it in his MMA fighting.
true, but do not forget fedor...

#6 ·
The whole concept of judo is essentially using the other persons momentum against them. Where in wrestling you perform alot of the throws using brute streghnth with judo your goal is to use their streghnth and momentum against them.

For example all of the judo sweeps and throws revolve around the concept of off balancing and controlling your oponents center of gravity. If you want to set up a certain throw you will resist them one way and then when they counter that resistance you imediately use their flow against them and perform a throw.

Best example is when your performing a inside sweep. You pull one way and as soon as you start feeling them resist to comensate you pull push in the opposite direction so then you have taken their momentum mixed it with your momentum and then put all of it on one leg. Once you kick that leg out from them they will be taken out rather violently.

Alot of people say yeah judo is the gentle way. Gentle way my ass I think it has more injuries then most mma events which allow striking. Talk to any one who competes hardcore and these guys go out their with a list of injuries

#7 ·
mrmyz said:
The whole concept of judo is essentially using the other persons momentum against them. Where in wrestling you perform alot of the throws using brute streghnth with judo your goal is to use their streghnth and momentum against them.

For example all of the judo sweeps and throws revolve around the concept of off balancing and controlling your oponents center of gravity. If you want to set up a certain throw you will resist them one way and then when they counter that resistance you imediately use their flow against them and perform a throw.

Best example is when your performing a inside sweep. You pull one way and as soon as you start feeling them resist to comensate you pull push in the opposite direction so then you have taken their momentum mixed it with your momentum and then put all of it on one leg. Once you kick that leg out from them they will be taken out rather violently.

Alot of people say yeah judo is the gentle way. Gentle way my ass I think it has more injuries then most mma events which allow striking. Talk to any one who competes hardcore and these guys go out their with a list of injuries
all is true, but you forgot to let everyone know judo is probably the most fun. i love judo due to the fact that when it is competition time you can "bring it". i have been DQed for slamming in a bjj tournament, but judo gave me a win. don't get me wrong about bjj, i like that but i would like the throwing rules, but the bjj score for throws, mixed in with the newaza time and points on the ground of bjj, and judo chokes should be legal and bicep slicers and leg locks and scissor takedown.
that would be great

#9 · (Edited)
mrmyz said:
yeah the same thing happened to me hahaha what did you use
YouTube - Ura nage
but i was going for height, tried to make him touch the lights, then bury him through the mats into the hardwood. all i heard was breath, and he was real slow getting up. i don't know why he was mad..... he won......

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.