Mixed Martial Arts Forum banner

College Baseball?

4K views 66 replies 10 participants last post by  ZZtigerZZ81 
#1 ·
College Baseball

any one follow it?

#4 ·
Hell yes! Texas started out the season with a sweep over the weekend of UIC- 6-1, 3-1, 10-1 and 1-0 and are ranked #4 currently. We play today, at home, against UTSA and I'm thinking about going and then Penn State comes to town this weekend. After that- big series with Stanford at their place the following weekend.

The past couple seasons haven't been great to us since we haven't gotten out of the regional round as our pitching has let us down. It's supposed to be very much improved so we'll have to see.

Augie Garrido also has to serve a 4 game suspension for this first series for a DUI that happened recently.

#5 ·
I haven't followed since my buddy stopped playing at BC.

It sucks - he was a nasty SS, had a not too shabby batting average of .312, and was quick, but he was only 5'9"-5'10" so he never ended up getting drafted. It's still weird to sit there and listen to him tell me how he faced pitchers or batters now in the MLB.

But, I watch it when the tourny gets going. College basketball and LAX hold priority over it, but it's fun to watch, and the sound the aluminum bats make is awesome; like the sound of a puck hitting off the goalpost.

#6 ·
But, I watch it when the tourny gets going. College basketball and LAX hold priority over it, but it's fun to watch, and the sound the aluminum bats make is awesome; like the sound of a puck hitting off the goalpost.
F#ck yeah- on saturday there's a double-header of lacrosse in Baltimore at the Ravens stadium. It's starts off with #6 Johns Hopkins vs. #9 Princeton and then #10 Duke vs. #11 Maryland. It's being shown on ESPNU as well. :thumb02:

#7 ·
Hell I'll keep this going by myself if I have to- Texas is now 8-0 coming off a double-header sweep of Penn State yesterday and their series will conclude with a game today. The most runs we given up has been 3 and every starting pitcher has lasted at least 5 innings in each game. That's big for us since pitching has been or Achilles heel the past 2 seasons.

Lax news- Syracuse lost to Virginia 12-13 :( on friday night at home, rallying from 5 goals down in the 4th quarter to close to within 1 with a little over a minute to go but fell short.

#8 ·
LSU the #1 team in the nation and future national champs are 6-0 going into the final game against UCF about to sweep them.

DJ LeMahieu and Leon Landry are lighting it up at the plate and our bullpen is way better then I thought they would be. Anthony Ranaudo our Friday starter is going to have a great year if he stays healthy and can handle the workload. His stuff is awesome.

I gotta change my avatar now. I didn't know there were any college baseball fans here.

#12 ·
:thumb02:

Texas went to 9-0 after beating Penn St. 9-0 yesterday with a 9th inning no-no being pitched by Brandon Workman. He screwed up up the whole 9 thingy with throwing 10 Ks though.

ZZ- I figured you would be a fan considering LSU's great baseball tradition. :thumbsup:

#17 ·
Texas dropped it's first game of the season on Saturday against Stanford but we came to take the series by winning yesterday. Except for the Sat. game our pitching was excellent and we're at 12-1 now. Stanford always gives us problems so it good to win a series on the road against them.

The pitching continues to really impress me and it's best staff we've had since the 2005 championship team.

#18 ·
we sucked against Illinois. Our pitching looked bad, our fielding was worse, and we relied on the long ball to drive in runs. It worked on Sat when we scored 22, but the other two games were embarassing and we dropped them to an average Illinois team.

We got a long way to go...Mainieri needs to get their heads out of the clouds. We played like we thought we couldn't be beat instead of trying to prove we couldn't be beat.

#21 ·
Man Missouri gave us all we could handle this weekend- they came in at (7-8) but started off the series with a win- 2-0, both pitchers pitched excellent as UT's pitched into the 9th with a 6-hitter but Mizzou's pitcher got the complete game shutout. We took the back end of the doubleheader 5-0 with Brandon Workman turning in another quality start. Yesterday though Missouri was up 3-1 going into the bottom of the 9th before Texas rallied with 3 runs to take the game and series. Good stuff and a great start to conference play.

Playing Rice this Tuesday down in Houston.

#23 ·
This is just a hunch but I'm pretty sure that Texas won't be #1 in the up coming poll- we lost to Rice 6-3 on Tuesday, and got swept by freaking Kansas this weekend on the road- 5-4, 4-3 and 4-3. Texas' men basketball did about as well as could be hope for this season and gave Duke an good run for their money before going down. The women lost in the 1st round, yeah definitely didn't watch it but still.

Not a banner weekend for UT sports. :(

#30 ·
Man- I stayed up Saturday night listening to that 25 inning game and was in total disbelief the entire time. When it passed midnight I was just thinking "wtf? This game started at 6pm???" An amazing 2 games though the first one where our closer pitched 13 shutout innings- it was amazing that the game just kept going and going. Then last night- down 10-6 going into the bottom of the 9th only to rally to tie it up 10-10, load the bases and then Preston Clark smacks a grand slam to win it and move Texas on to the super regionals. Amazing stuff and games this weekend. :thumb02:

ZZ- he's doing fine, he wasn't 100% but ended up playing(DHing) the next day. :thumbsup:

FSU scoring 37 runs. :eek:

TCU is coming to Austin weekend for that match-up.

#31 ·
I wouldn't woory too much about the FSU score...the only time OSU gave up less then 10 was in their game earlier that day to UGA and that was because their best pitcher was on the mound. The Big ten had 3 teams with really padded records this year...the conference was almost awful as far as baseball talent goes.

I heard a lot about the pitching in the Big 12 this year and I gotta tell you...they still impressed me in the regional play. Even the one guy for Mizzou...he was lights out when he found his stuff.

I am surprised you weren't watching the game at CBS though online. I am pretty sure you can watch all of them live there.

You guys swept regionals, but man you played a crapload of baseball to do it.

My impressions from this weekend...UNC (advances in 2 games if they match up against ECU...may lose to USC though), CSF (easily beats whoever), FSU (will struggle with Arkansas; man Ark had more fans then OU in Norman), LSU (should advance easily past Rice, but who knows), Ole Miss (should finish of WKU and then beat UVa, but UVa pulled the one upset I called), UT ( I feel pretty confident about your chances against TCU, but I don't know much about them), I also think UF and ASU take care of their competition unless Ga Tech starts playing like they were at about mid season.

#34 ·
Damn- this team keeps impressing me and impressing me. We have a good quality and deep pitching staff but not the lights out shut down ace pitcher and our "Punching Judys" type of offense shows signs of power only in spurts but when it comes it comes in bunches.

Last night's game should have been over after ASU took the 6-0 lead and with their 1.36 era ace on the mound and then BLAMMO! One inning and tie ball game. Augie pulled a Augie when after the 3rd inning when we played practically one of the worse innings we had all year long gets the team together and talks about "how good it will when we make the comeback". And it happens the next inning- freaking awesome stuff. :thumb02:

I still think LSU is the team to beat but I'm not counting out the Longhorns at all.

#35 ·
The thing about LSU is that we are 47-0 when leading after the 6th...and we got 48 wins so far. That means that our bats aren't clutch but our relievers are. So if you play us you better get to our starting pitcher because if you don't we will likely win the game.

You can't count out Auggie. That man is legendary. Texas may not have blown through people as of late, but close wins build a lot more confidence sometimes and are really a test of a team.

I hope we match up because it has been rare to see two long time powerhouses meet in the finals in Omaha lately. That would be a great series and one that makes me wish the CWS championship series were a best of 7.

one of my rep things was sky blue...is that still there and if so, does that mean I am extra awesome?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.