MMA Forum - UFC Forums - UFC Results - MMA Videos - View Single Post - Ricardo Arona to Return to MMA Sept. 12th

View Single Post

Old 06-26-2009, 05:50 PM   #4 (permalink)
IronMan
True Grappler

IronMan Is A BallerIronMan Is A BallerIronMan Is A BallerIronMan Is A BallerIronMan Is A BallerIronMan Is A BallerIronMan Is A BallerIronMan Is A BallerIronMan Is A BallerIronMan Is A BallerIronMan Is A Baller
Quote:
Originally Posted by hitmachine44 View Post
Good read, but this has me puzzled.

He has wins over Mezger, Overeem, Henderson, Wandy, and Sakuraba. He's pretty accomplished in MMA too I'd say.
That's a fair point, but he struggled against a lot of the guys who really ran the sport.

If you look at guys like Monson, who's not as good a grappler as Arona, one of the reasons he's had success is that he's figured out how to translate his game.

He was definitely a top ten fighter when he was active, but he struggled with Shogun and lost to Rampage. He only really has two wins over top ten 205ers, as far as I'm concerned, and those are the wins over Alistair (who's status was low top ten, if he was in there at all) and the win over Wanderlei (which was really impressive, though he really should've finished Wanderlei, since no one else did during that time frame, it's hard to hold it against him).

That sentence kind of sells Arona short, but what I'm trying to explain is that he was never really as dominant in MMA as he was in grappling, and a large part of that is that his point-style grappling wasn't necessarily suited for MMA the way that Demian Maia's game is.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freelancer View Post
He'll have a major ring rust case, I'm afraid.
Me too, which is why I'm glad he's fighting in a little show, probably against a no name. Shake the ring rust off.

Sig by Toxic

Barnett - Toquinho -Werdum - "Nurmie"
Z. Gurgel - Morango - Rocha - Tiequan
IronMan is offline   Reply With Quote