MMA Forum - UFC Forums - UFC Results - MMA Videos - View Single Post - Bas Rutten's possible return!!!

View Single Post

Old 05-26-2006, 10:13 PM   #7 (permalink)
Onganju
Outta My Head

Onganju is on another level nowOnganju is on another level nowOnganju is on another level nowOnganju is on another level nowOnganju is on another level nowOnganju is on another level nowOnganju is on another level nowOnganju is on another level nowOnganju is on another level nowOnganju is on another level nowOnganju is on another level now
Quote:
Hearing that he is possibly coming back makes me think about what would have been if he had never left? All the great possible matchups we missed when that guy left is unreal.

Bas/Liddell, Couture, Belfort, Silva, Rua, Ortiz, Randleman 2, Vovchanchyn, Overeem and the list could go on...
Too true. But I believe if there was ever a time for Bas to get a away from Fighting, he did it at the best possible time. UFC was quickly reaching its plateau from its original inception and no one knew that it was about to be banned from PPV for almost 2 full years. Bas' credibility and entertaining personality made it easy for him to segue into commentating, writing and training other fighters. If he hadn't, would we be without the likes of Duane Ludwig or Genki Sudo (two of the most exciting/entertaining LWs in the world)? So I don't think he could've done so at any better time. Besides that, there really wasn't anyone else to fight worth noting (aside from Rickson Gracie who never faced Bas) at the time.

I do think it would have been more realistic for Bas to get back into the mix after only a 2 year lay-off. He'd still be in his physical prime. But, he's made a lot more money going the other route and hasn't had to worry about getting hurt or beaten in the mean time, so who can blame him?
Onganju is offline   Reply With Quote