MMA Forum - UFC Forums - UFC Results - MMA Videos - View Single Post - Why Belfort vs. Fedor Doesn’t Matter

View Single Post

Old 07-24-2009, 01:05 AM   #1 (permalink)
IronMan
True Grappler

IronMan Is A BallerIronMan Is A BallerIronMan Is A BallerIronMan Is A BallerIronMan Is A BallerIronMan Is A BallerIronMan Is A BallerIronMan Is A BallerIronMan Is A BallerIronMan Is A BallerIronMan Is A Baller
Why Belfort vs. Fedor Doesn’t Matter

Quote:
Originally Posted by IronMan @ MMAOpinion

The Phenom will take on the Emporer, but I'm still struggling to care.

I wish I could say it did. I really do.

I wish I could say that the world’s greatest heavyweight, the most consistent and dominant fighter in the history of the sport, fighting anyone is significant, but it’s not. Vitor Belfort (18-8 MMA, 7-4 UFC, #9 IWMMAR) is a great fighter, but he’s a middleweight, and hasn’t fought a strict heavyweight since his bout with Heath Herring (28-14-0-1 MMA, 2-3 UFC) in 2001. This is a guy who, while probably only 15-20 pounds lighter than Fedor Emelianenko (30-1-0-1 MMA, #1 IWMMAR), fights two weight classes lower, and is stepping in against a fighter who routinely beats fighters 30 pounds heavier than he is.

Giving Fedor a weight advantage is like giving Brock Lesnar (4-1 MMA, #2 IWMMAR) an experience advantage. It’s overkill.

In fairness to Belfort, he’s coming off of an incredible win over Matt Lindland (21-6 MMA, 9-3 UFC), and finished him faster than Fedor did (and less controversially) when Lindland and Emelianenko met in Russia. But that’s not what the issue is. The issue is, Vitor is not a relevant opponent. With two recent wins over respectable, relevant opposition, Emelianenko was expected to meet a third, but he won’t.
Click here to read the rest.

Sig by Toxic

Barnett - Toquinho -Werdum - "Nurmie"
Z. Gurgel - Morango - Rocha - Tiequan
IronMan is offline   Reply With Quote