Mixed Martial Arts Forum banner

Sliva to have 3 fights in UFC........

2K views 20 replies 12 participants last post by  jimbo 
#1 ·
Don't know if this has been posted yet but.....we know the Silva Vs. Liddell is for the belt and Silva will have a total of three fights at least in UFC..

When asked during the post-UFC 61 press conference whether the Liddell-Silva fight will be a title fight, UFC president Dana White reportedly said, "It will be for the title." When asked by another reporter whether Silva is signed for a certain number of fights in the UFC, White reportedly said, "Yeah, three [fights]. We're probably going to have him for three." When asked by another reporter whether there will be more Pride stars fighting on future UFC cards, White reportedly said, "Possibly. Every year, we try to take it to another level

One also has to wonder what exactly is going to happen if Silva manages to beat Liddell for the UFC Light Heavyweight Title. One would certainly think that the UFC would not sign a Silva-Liddell fight without having a contractual guarantee that Liddell gets a rematch if he loses to Silva, but that is pure conjecture and is just one of the many questions that MMA fans are pondering right now.

#4 ·
Yeah Eminem i was thinking the same thing if it is UFC rules i thing this will be a disadvantage for Silva...I know he has fought in the UFC B4 but he is so used to his fighting style now, where kicks on the ground are allowed i am wondering if this will have any affect on this match.......

#11 ·
Posted by:Samrice None of these guys want to take the fight to the ground anyways, so stomps and soccer kicks aren't going to matter much. These guys are only going down when one of them gets knocked the **** out. And I really want to see Silva's elbows fly for once.
lol?? Silva works his Thai Clinch until he brings them to the ground then he throws soccer kicks and knee's in.Thats his fighting style thats how it is he will do that in any fight that is just the Axe Murderer.

As for The Don Pride and UFC made a deal from what i heard it'snot all about Silva and UFC they may have worked somthing out maybe not im not sure but i hope they did.

#13 ·
The Legend said:
I don't know why you guys are talking about Wanderlei being at a disadnvantage because he has been in the UFC before.
thats what I say.. he has been there knows the rules obviously has agreed to them if he is coming to the UFC to fight.. enough said..

#15 ·
I know Wand has been in the ufc B4...But 90% of his fight have not been in the UFC and if you watch him fight you does use a lot of kicks when his opponent is on the ground. Most likley this will be a slug fest, but none the less it does take away from Silva's Game.....Just My Opionion

#17 ·
Trips1978 said:
I know Wand has been in the ufc B4...But 90% of his fight have not been in the UFC and if you watch him fight you does use a lot of kicks when his opponent is on the ground. Most likley this will be a slug fest, but none the less it does take away from Silva's Game.....Just My Opionion
if he stays long term it might just effect his first fight or two unless he makes sure to have a few spars under the UFC rules fighters at the level most of these guys are at should be able to adjust quickly so 3-4 good spars with a good training partner who knows the UFC rules well and he should be more then fine

#21 · (Edited)
The Don said:
Its simple to know what the rules will be.. it is a UFC fight. Silva signed to fight in the UFC... See where I am going.. the rules will be.. UFC rules.. end debate...
So obviously Silva is aware the rules and is prepared to follow them..
Your are assuming that it is a simple matter of Silva leaving Pride and joining the UFC. That simply isnt the case.

Pride heavyweight Fujita is also scheduled to feature on the UFC November card, as is Pride's Phil Baroni. Pride are planning on staging their first show in the US around December time, in light of the fact that they have lost their domestic TV contract. This is a threat to the UFC's monopoly on MMA in the American market.

Silva fighting on the UFC card is effectively a pact between the UFC and Pride not to f*uck each other over, by poaching each others top fighters.

However, regardless of what the UFC and Pride decide on the matter, ultimately the relevant State Athletic Commission may not be prepared to sanction the more 'brutal' Pride rules - and so the only rules that can be used may be those of the UFC.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.