MMA Forum - UFC Forums - UFC Results - MMA Videos - View Single Post - Can Randy Couture beat Tim Sylvia
View Single Post
post #11 of (permalink) Old 01-10-2007, 08:07 PM
MMA Fanatic
Randy covers some of the advantages/disadvantages in this MMA Weekly interview;

"MMAWeekly: One of the other rumors we heard was that you were possibly going to fight Tim Sylvia for the UFC Heavyweight Championship. Was that ever a possibility?

Randy Couture: Not in a real sense. I haven’t had any fight thrown at me in a real sense. There’s people that have suggested, “Why don’t you come out and fight Tim?” and people have been a little disappointed in his last two performances. I think his last two performances have been great. They’ve been a little bit on the conservative side, I think he’s fighting more not to lose instead of fighting to win. Because of that approach it hasn’t been as exciting as Tim has the capability of being.

I am walking around now at 230lbs, back to my heavyweight days, and can certainly go back and compete in that division, but Tim’s one of the reasons why I chose to go down to light-heavyweight. When guys are starting to be 6’5”-6’10”, cutting weight to make the [265lb] limit – that’s a big man…he’s a very good fighter, very skilled and when you start giving up that kind of weight, you are at a disadvantage and it can be a big problem. No one has seriously approached me with an opportunity to fight Tim Sylvia, so it’s all one in the same, rumors."
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome