Mixed Martial Arts Forum banner

Heath Herring = Next HW Champ

1K views 21 replies 13 participants last post by  randyspankstito 
#1 ·
For one reason Tim will prefer face him before Cro cop..

#3 ·
Who's overrated? Heath? No way man haven't you seen his fights with Nog? He held his own in there for a long ass time. He didn't win but he lasted a total of 34 1/2 minutes with him between 2 fights. He lasted 10 minutes with Fedor hahaha that says something doesn't it? I don't think he's overrated, no one said he was as good as Fedor, but Tim would definately have his hands full with him. He has a better ground game than Tim does IMO. Tim has the edge in standing back and waiting though. I agree Tim has no choice as long as CroCop is in the UFC, Heath will never hold the belt.

#5 ·
brownpimp88 said:
I agree, people just like him because of the infamous punch. Tim TKO/KO 2nd round.
I agree he gained a lot of fans from that but I liked him after I saw him fight big Nog the first time. That was back when Nog was equivalent to today's Fedor. Heath is a good fighter his record says it and so does his performances.

#6 ·
is fight against Mark Kerr was my favorite fight ever from him .. Had a crazy hair cut that day too. The match was boring Mark Kerr was trying to gnp but the ref make them stand up Crazy Horse was pumped up big time did a big leg kick and knee the face of mark kerr and it was over

#7 ·
haha i was going to say what about crocop but that's true, sylvia would face anyone else in the hw division first. since hes a ****ing ***** and only cares about the belt not entertaining the fans.

#9 ·
Heath has great MMA experience. Look at his losses: Fedor, Cro Cop, Nog, & Belfort. If he learned anything from those fights, he should do pretty damn good in the UFC!

#10 ·
brownpimp88 said:
I agree, people just like him because of the infamous punch.
Wrong. Heath had fans before the ridiculous "Kiss...punch" thing. His fights with Nogueira put him in the "This guy is pretty fun to watch" category for a lot of people. That whole "Kiss....punch" thing, was when he was floundering in K-1, and doing jackshit except hurting his leg against Greco. People just sort of laughed at the guy during the Nakao thing, and didn't really become a fan of his. If anything, it's his Pride "credentials" that make people believe he'll go far in the UFC.

I, personally, see Heath as being a solid addition to the HW division, and nothing else. I don't see him winning a championship, especially since the UFC doesn't allow knee's to the head on the ground.

#11 ·
HH is a "gatekeeper" in the division: someone that is a solid fighter and will give most HWs a challenge, but wont ever be an elite in the division...

he has somewhat slowed down in the past couple of years (his body looks "softer" now than say two or three years ago; compare how he looked against Kerr with today to see my point) but has been in the ring with some of the best in PRIDE...

the addition of HH is good for the UFC...adds some depth and experience to the division...

#14 ·
jdun11 said:
Tim has no choice, and I think Tim would KO Heath...he is overrated!!
i'm pretty sure Tim is much more overrated than Heath. I mean, Heath will just get Tim to the ground and Sub him. I really don't see Tim winning that, but hey, you never know...:dunno:

#16 ·
Meh, the first Herring vs Cro Cop fight was a one sided beatdown. I really wouldn't want to see those 2 fight again. Well, I guess if you're a huge Cro Cop fan, then you'd like to see them face off again.

Herring needs to go apeshit, and kick someone in the face(Like old times). If he doesn't, then I'd consider Heath Herring's UFC run to be a disappointment. A "Bas Rutten in UFC" sized disappointment.

#17 ·
I'll be honest, I don't think that Sylvia has ever fought anyone like Herring. Herring is a dark horse in this division, and I think he can beat anyone, except for CroCop.

Herring has beaten:

"Ice Cold" Igor - I'm not going to try to spell his last name, but Igor has like 45 wins and 9 losses.

Yoshiki Takahashi - A Japanese fan favorite with a 28-20-3 record who only loses to guys like Semmy Schilt, Vernon White, Jason Delucia, a younger Ken Shamrock and Bas Rutten.

Gan McGee - Former UFC heavyweight and giant with a similar style to Sylvia.

Mark Kerr - A former UFC warrior, until leaving for PRIDE. Kerr was undefeated and considered to be unbeatable for a long time. Herring was the first man ever to finish Kerr.

Gary "Big Daddy" Goodridge - The K-1 staple has only lost to 3 fighters since 2001. Those three fighters are Herring, the unfinishable one Antonio Rodrigo Nogueira and the king himself Fedor Emelianenko.

Anyway, I'm psyched to see Heath in the UFC. He's a great fighter and he's entertaining. He's the kind of fighter that this heavyweight division really needs.

#19 ·
CTFlyingKnee said:
can Herring beat Couture??? i doubt it haha
Herring was the first man to finish Kerr and Kerr's style is very similar to Couture's, though on a less technical level.

Anyway, we don't know what Couture looks like yet. He may be as good as he was when he left, he may be better, his game may have gone all to hell. We'll find out in March.

If Couture smashes Sylvia then I think he will probably beat Herring, but Heath has good ground defense, beastly knees and a much lower center of gravity than Sylvia, so he's a little bit harder for the groundnpound gameplan.

As for CroCop, I think he will get a quicker KO on Herring and Couture than he would against Sylvia, but that's only because Herring's and Couture's heads are closer to his left leg.

Maybe CroCop will finish Sylvia like he did against Hidehiko and just snap his leg in half. It wouldn't be the first time someone's broken one of Tim's limbs in the octagon.

Back to Heath Herring, the man has a real shot at the title. I'd love to watch him fight Gabe Gonzaga or see a second fight with CroCop.

#20 ·
Im not saying Heath Sucks or anything , but people seem to think he will beat Sylvia and I just dont see that happening. And we all saw what Crocop did to him. Did anybody see before his fight with Fedor, all the commentators picked Heath to win by decision. Even Bas agreed...This was one of fedor's 1st fights in Pride, so I guess Ill give Bas a pass on that one.

#22 ·
Heath is a fun fighter to watch, seems like a nice guy when he does interviews and can get in there and bang with the best of them. If for some reason he were to get a title shot before crocop, then yes he could be the next UFC heavyweight champ, but only until crocop got his shot.

Whoever said Heath is underrated is wrong, if anything, he's a bit underated IMO. Anybody that can go and bang with the top big boys in pride should be just fine in the UFC.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.