Mixed Martial Arts Forum banner

UFC Undercards to be free on spike!!!

2K views 27 replies 27 participants last post by  steveo412 
#1 ·
http://www.bloodyelbow.com/2009/8/20/997077/ufc-103-undercard-to-be-televised

According to the Keep Punching blog at OCregister.com:

"The "UFC 103: Franklin vs. Belfort" pay-per-view card is going toe-to-toe with the Floyd Mayweather Jr. vs. Juan Manuel Marquez HBO pay-per-view event on Sept. 19. "

"The UFC is known for its creative marketing and counter-programming tactics and it looks like the MMA giant has come up with a good plan to beef up awareness for UFC 103."

"The UFC will air a two-hour telecast of the UFC 103 undercard commercial free on Spike TV as a lead in for the UFC 103 main card on pay-per-view, according to a source at the UFC."

Main Card Bouts:
- Rich Franklin (25-4) -175 vs. Vitor Belfort (18-8) +145
- Junior dos Santos (8-1) -140 vs. Mirko "Cro Cop" Filipovic (25-6-2) +110
- Mike Swick (14-2) -185 vs. Martin Kampmann (15-2) +145
- Josh Koscheck (12-4) -500 vs. Frank Trigg (19-6) +305
- Tyson Griffin (13-2) -240 vs. Hermes Franca (19-7) +195

Preliminary Bouts:
- Efrain Escudero (11-0) -165 vs. Cole Miller (15-3) +135
- Jim Miller (14-2) vs. Thiago Tavares (14-3)
- Dan Lauzon (12-2) vs. Rafaello Oliveira (9-1)
- Paul Daley (21-8-2) vs. Brian Foster (10-3)
- Drew McFedries (8-5) vs. Tomasz Drwal (16-2-1)
- Jason Brilz (17-1) vs. Eliot Marshall (7-1)
- Vladimir Matyushenko (22-4) vs. Igor Pokrajac (21-5)
- Robert Emerson (9-7) vs. Rafael Dos Anjos (11-4)
This is f***ing of the charts. I've been hoping for them to do this forever. I also remember somebody on the board recently suggesting this to increase revenue/viewership. To that person, kudos to you sir.

I was stoked for this card to begin with, and now I simply can't wait!

Any thoughts?

#5 ·
"Not good…
- According to MMAJunkie.com, Brazilian lightweight Thiago Tavares is out of his UFC bout with Jim Miller, due to suffering a knee injury in training. With the card having 13-fights scheduled, the UFC may opt not to replace the bout, and move Miller to another event. UFC 103 takes place September 19th at American Airlines Center in Dallas, TX. Here is the updated card: "

from: http://www.mmaforum.com/ufc/61250-thiago-tavares-injured-out-ufc-103-a.html

So there goes that. On the other hand, any fight is worth it if it's free. I'll take all the mma I can get for free. Lots of time the undercards are better fights than the main card. The main card fighters names just sell the ppvs.

#3 ·
That is awesome! No need to wait a few days later to watch on a computer, and a great card for them to test it on with Drwal vs McFedries throwing bombs, and Efrain vs Miller if that really comes on the prelims, potential great ground fight. I hope it works so well they keep doing it on and on.

#6 ·
What? Only good bout tavares vs miller? Am I the only one stoked to see Paul Daley, Efrain Escudero, Drew McFedries, and Dan Lauzon fight?

Plus, Rob Emerson is going to come to your house and personally kick your ass if you aren't rooting for him.

#21 ·
What? Only good bout tavares vs miller? Am I the only one stoked to see Paul Daley, Efrain Escudero, Drew McFedries, and Dan Lauzon fight?

Plus, Rob Emerson is going to come to your house and personally kick your ass if you aren't rooting for him.
OMG!! Rob Emerson for free!!!!!!!!! HALLELUJAH!!
Hallelujah! This is a great marketing plan. And great for the fans too!!

#10 ·
they should do this for all the PPV cards. It would help PPv sales surely.

#12 ·
Wow, just the other day there was a thread on this forum about how the undercard should be free on Spike. And right before Franklin vs Hendo 2 was scrapped there were discussions here about how that fight sucked... I'm starting to believe those who have been claiming that someone from the UFC is lurking this forum.:thumb02:

#16 ·
Now wait a fargin' minute... I'm paying my $40 or whatever it is to get the PPV... I'm already annoyed because they have generally whittled down the PPV telecast to 5 fights, and now I see/hear that the whole undercard will be free on Spike? WTF? I mean...hooray for free fights....but why shouldn't those of us who have been buying the PPVs for 10-12 years be able to see the WHOLE FRIGGING EVENT on PPV?

#17 ·
This is great news for not only the fans, but the fighters. As, they'll get more exposure and they'll actually be getting good money from their sponsors.

I'm pretty sure the rewards these guys get from their sponsors is massive. The average amount of people watching a PPV buy is probably 3-4. So there are millions of people seeing these products.

#25 ·
Props to the UFC for finally listening to the fans on this subject. Even though they just want to blow Mayweather out of the water, this is still a good step forward.

#26 · (Edited)
This has nothing to do with the Mayweather fight. Rob Emerson said if the fans didn't get to see him carve a path of destruction that he would personally beat the hell out of Dana and Lorenzo. What St. Leg Kicker wants, St. Leg Kicker gets.

And by the way, the negotiations between Fedor and the UFC broke down when Fedor realized Rob was still on the UFC roster. It had nothing to do with M-1 wanting to co-promote.

Reactions: Darkwraith
#27 ·
FINALLY! I was getting so pissed at paying $40 or $50 for the PPV and not seeing any prelims. I'm really hoping that this isn't just a one-off to battle the boxing PPV but knowing how greedy Dana is getting these days, I think this will just be once. Make sure you guys tell everyone you know to watch the Spike broadcast. If they get great ratings, they'll have no choice but to keep doing it.

#28 ·
I think they are doing this so they can hype up the main card fights while showing the prelims so they will get more buys from the casual people who are already watching it on tv. This is great for us who are already ordering it no matter what. Good business move I think. When affliction was showing fights on fight network before the main card it gets you pumped up for the big fights more.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.