Mixed Martial Arts Forum banner

Keith Jardine thinks the UFC may not want him to be a champion …

4K views 60 replies 35 participants last post by  machidaisgod 
#1 ·
Keith Jardine thinks the UFC may not want him to be a champion …

http://mmamania.com/2009/08/27/keith-jardine-thinks-the-ufc-may-not-want-him-to-be-a-champion-…/

… because he’s not as marketable, doesn’t crave attention and/or make an ass out of himself, according to a Las Vegas Sun article today:

“There’s a big difference between a win and a loss in the UFC. I’m making a comfortable living right now, but I’m definitely fighting for my livelihood…. I’m kind of like the blue-collar UFC fighter. I’m working my way in through the back door. I haven’t been fed any (soft) opponents. I didn’t win the reality show. I’m just making my own way. I haven’t been mass marketed to anybody. That’s the thing. The marketing machine hasn’t really gotten behind me. I’m fine with it, but I just think that the Forrest Griffins and those guys, they’d rather have those guys have the title than me. They kind of let me go my own way a bit because I’m not out there craving attention and I’m not out there hamming it up for the fans. I’m not being like Brock Lesnar after the fight (at UFC 100). That was embarrassing. I’m not that guy. I never will be. I’ll always be humble and be mean when it counts. I come from a real hard-working background and I don’t think my Dad would think very well of me if I were out there making an ass of myself. I’m just going to be myself and hopefully people will appreciate that. When I have the title, hopefully I will have a lot of fans because of the way I am.”

Can the “Dean of Mean” overcome the obstacles before him to one day become a champion or is he just too inconsistent (he hasn’t won back-to-back fights in three years) against top-flight competition to ever get there?

See less See more
#38 ·
Okay the thread is a liiiiiitle tougher on Jardine then he deserves. You don't get this kind of talk after the majority of Jardine fights. Yeah he wiffed against Alexander and Wanderlei. Both cases show us all that in a fight anyone has a punchers chance. Soooorry, thats how you talk about Wandy at this point in his career.

You didn't here about Jardine's boring style after the loss against Rampage, you heard that the loss didn't hurt his career which was true. You certainly didn't hear that his fight against Vera was boring because it wasn't, nor was his fight against Chuck or his devastating KO of Gump.

So let's put things back in perspective. What brought this out of the normally quiet Viking? Well obviously he is mad about Shogun's undeserved title shot. Yes, its undeserved. Shogun needed to at least fight Rashad, Rampage, or YES Jardine before getting Machida.

I need to see Shogun beat Jardine before I believe the old Shogun is back because a first round KO of a tired old Chuck doesn't do it for me and doesn't for anyone else that isn't already an avid Shogun fan.

So I see why this Top tier 205r has a gripe I just wish he kept his mouth shut.

#40 ·
kind of sounds like he's just feeling sorry for himself, noones sweeping him under the carpet, first of all him and rashad said they wouldn't fight eachother, second of all if he could consecutively win he would get a shot, ufc isn't unfair with its title shots, not that much

#41 ·
hrmm..sort of making an excuse..he's has so many opportunities to showcase talent but he is inconsistent, he needs to put a few wins together and put himself in the position where he can't be ignored anymore like what Machida did. I've noticed also he likes to talk about how "the judge told me I was winning the Rampage fight until the last 10 seconds..", I keep hearing him say that. Jesus we get it, but every second is apart of the fight and he needs to just deal with it and stop with excuses.

#44 ·
The thing is, Jardine is always fighting someone you want to watch so you will never be passing. Jardine hasn't fought in less then the main event or co main event since Reagen was President. So I think its funny you feel that way in the way I think its funny when Yosemite Sam gets pissed off and smoke shoots out of his ears.

#43 ·
I don't know if it's the UFC not wanting Jardine to be a champion or if Jardine just can't stay consistent enough. Lord knows, the guy has had nothing but tough fights (except the Alexander fight which we all know how that turned out. Inconsistency) in the UFC, but he's out of line here.

#50 ·
"The Dean of Mean....Light Heavyweight Champion offfff the WOOOORrrrllLLDD!"

"Plllllleassse GOD NooooOOO" *Dana White awakes in his bed scared to death, and covered in a film of sweat that chills him to his core.

#51 ·
I love Keith Jardine, but even if they UFC wanted him to be champion, I don't see him beating Machida. The only chance he had of being champion was when Rashad fought Forrest, and Jardine took his spot and somehow pulled it off again.

The UFC doesn't really want him to be a champion though, because he's a bit weird. It's hard to market weird.

#52 ·
I really want my boy Keith to win, I really do. Yeah the possibility of him being champion is slimmer than Rush Limbaugh living with Jay-Z, he fights hard and he got a win over a UFC legend.

The man is a strange fighter with a somewhat brooding personality, but I see him possibly being marketed like a second rate WWE wrestler.

#53 ·
I still don't think "the UFC" has anything to do with him becomming champion. I mean the most they can do is make it take a little longer, and that usually happens if someone doesn't put on a good preformance or they aren't that exciting, but if someone keeps winning they will give him a title shot.

#55 ·
What about Yushin Okami? I don't think he could beat Silva, but the UFC doesn't seem to want to give him a chance. He's mostly fought a bunch of no-names on undercards. It would be such an easy fight to market too. They would just have to go with an Anderson-trying-to-avenge-his-last-loss angle and it would sell itself.

#56 ·
I would tend to have to agree. The guy has been there done that...Never even got a shot. Bullsh*t in my opinion. he deserves it. Same with Okami. I'd love to see a rematch with Silva. Hell he's fought every other Tom, Dick & Harry.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.