MMA Forum - UFC Forums - UFC Results - MMA Videos - View Single Post - ADCC 2009: Barcelona Preview

View Single Post

Old 09-01-2009, 02:16 PM   #1 (permalink)
IronMan
True Grappler

IronMan Is A BallerIronMan Is A BallerIronMan Is A BallerIronMan Is A BallerIronMan Is A BallerIronMan Is A BallerIronMan Is A BallerIronMan Is A BallerIronMan Is A BallerIronMan Is A BallerIronMan Is A Baller
ADCC 2009: Barcelona Preview

Hey guys. This is my first post working with profighting-fans, so I figured I'd link it up. It's also a pretty massive preview (it's really hard to keep an Abu Dhabi preview under 1500 words, but I pulled it off with this one.

Anyway, enjoy:

Quote:
Originally Posted by IronMan @ Profighting-fans.com
Spain will act as a backdrop this year for the worlds greatest biennial grappling competition. The no-gi invitational Abu Dhabi Combat Club has long been considered the world’s greatest test of grappling prowess and features a showcase of many of the worlds top Brazilian Jiu-Jistu, wrestling and MMA practitioners stepping onto the mat to test their skills in pure-grappling. While many of the biggest names in grappling are set to appear, there are a few warriors who names will be more familiar to fans of the Ultimate Fighting Championship and MMA in general, as well as unknown warriors, legends and rising stars in the worlds of both full contact fighting and pure position-then-submission combat.

Men’s -65.9kg Division

In MMA and grappling, the small guys often prove to be the most exciting, and the smallest division at ADCC this year will certainly be among the most volatile and feature some of the most exciting competitors. A familiar name to fans of the WEC, Rickson Gracie blackbelt Rani Yahya will certainly be one of the favorites in the division. The returning ADCC champion Yahya has a phenomenal ground game and will be considered a leading threat in a division populated with many young American and Brazilian up-and-comers like Ryan Hall (who’s triangle choke has been as regular as a sunset in many of his matches), 2X All-American wrestler Jayson Patino and master of the guard game Jeff Glover.

Yahya is hardly the prohibitive favorite in the division, as he will have get past two time ADCC champion (and 2007 runner up) Leo Viera, who was ranked the third greatest grappler of all time by Gracie Magazine, long time ADCC staple Baret Yoshida and six time (four in gi, two no gi) world champion Rubens Charles Maciel (who goes, casually, by “Cobrinha”).

Probably Podium: 1st Rani Yahya ; 2nd Leo Viera ; 3rd Cobrinha/Ryan Hall
Click here to read the rest.

Sig by Toxic

Barnett - Toquinho -Werdum - "Nurmie"
Z. Gurgel - Morango - Rocha - Tiequan
IronMan is offline   Reply With Quote