MMA Forum - UFC Forums - UFC Results - MMA Videos - View Single Post - Back to Basics

Thread: Back to Basics
View Single Post

Old 09-14-2009, 01:51 AM   #185 (permalink)
IronMan
True Grappler

IronMan Is A BallerIronMan Is A BallerIronMan Is A BallerIronMan Is A BallerIronMan Is A BallerIronMan Is A BallerIronMan Is A BallerIronMan Is A BallerIronMan Is A BallerIronMan Is A BallerIronMan Is A Baller
Quote:
Originally Posted by adamjjrwarrior View Post
Hello IronMan,

I was just wondering, if you can give me some ideas on Butterfly Submissions and Sweeps. Myself, i only know the cutting armbar and basic sweeps from Butterfly.

Would appreciate your insight.

AJ
The best tome of knowledge on the butterfly (and I'll start with this note because I was talking about it with a friend the other day) is Marcelo Garcia's book on the X-Guard. All of the things I'm talking about are in there, as the first two chapters are on the butterfly and the X-Guard flows best off of the butterfly guard.

I'm assuming that by butterfly sweeps you mean you know the over-under sweep where you lift your opponent's weight onto your shins, drop your ear to the mat and toss them over. That's the most basic and fundamental attack from the butterfly.

Guillotines from the butterfly move really well into other stuff. Basically, working to push the head down is very effective. I'd definitely (as far as submissions go) work darse chokes and guillotines.

The best submission, and the only one of these I finish from the butterfly guard, is the Chris Brennan version of the ten finger guillotine.

Basically, push your opponents head down with one hand, and cup your other hand on the chin. Then, drop your chest onto the top of your opponents head and grab your other hand with the guillotine grip. You can finish from the butterfly. Obviously, the closed guard offers the most stability.

As far as sweeps (and this is really the technical part of the butterfly guard game), there are a lot of ways to attack your opponents balance. Most of them center around that over-under sweep I mentioned at the beginning.

If you go for that sweep, chances are good your opponent will sit back. The defense for most beginner and intermediate students is to get the weight off of the legs, so that there's no real power in the sweep.

At this point, I slip one foot out of the butterfly guard and drag the arm of whatever side I just popped the foot out on (usually, for me, that's on the left side, since I drag the arm with my right hand). At this point, I use my other butterfly hook to establish a hook that will be the first for taking the back. That's a good way to get four points. From that point, it's like working a standard half-guard move to the back, or any other armdrag.

More advanced guys will try what is undoubtedly a more advanced maneuver. They'll stand up.

I don't personally think this is more effective. Personally, I've found that smashing my head down (protecting the neck) to crush their ability to sit up, which is important, and pushing a leg under me is the most effective way to pass the butterfly, especially with the invention of the X Guard.

If your opponent stands up, the techniques are really about experience, and feeling your opponent. Still, the idea is pretty simple:

Take you shin and put it against your opponents leg at about the knee (though you can be higher or lower a little bit depending on your preference), grab them at the ankle, and try to bend the leg like a bow, rolling into it and popping up to take top position. This is a really simplified version of the most basic X Guard attacks (simplified in the sense that it doesn't require controlling the X Guard with both feet).

With practice, you'll find this works really well. It's just about practicing the angles.

Sig by Toxic

Barnett - Toquinho -Werdum - "Nurmie"
Z. Gurgel - Morango - Rocha - Tiequan
IronMan is offline   Reply With Quote