Mixed Martial Arts Forum banner

Impossible to choke?

3K views 10 replies 10 participants last post by  BlacklistShaun 
#1 ·
So I was at work and this guy I work with does some mma. I'm not a big guy and he's always practicing on me. He tried choking me out from behind and he was freaking out because I could still breath. He tried other ways and the only way to get me to tap was to lift me and put all my weight on my throat. He said he'd heard of people who were impossible to choke but didn't believe it. I've gotten some of my friends to try to and they can't either. Is this actually something known to mma or what? I've never worked out my neck muscles either and havent routinely worked out in more than a year.

#2 ·
I haven't heard of people who can't be choked, though a lot of people are very bad at applying chokes, and if you're calm it's not normally very hard to not get choked.
In my limited experience

Also thinking about it, Fedor never uses his arm muscles alone to choke, he uses his forearm and body weight - if you see what I mean

#4 ·
I'm going to defer to Occam's Razor and just say that it's most probable that your friend sucks at MMA.

The guy who's impossible to choke is like the guy who can knock people down with chi. Everybody knows a guy who says he saw it or felt it once. But that guy also believes that Elvis and Tupac are smokin' weed in Havana.

I've trained with guys who say they can't be choked out. They usually just squirm and refuse to tap. Then they pass out.

Chokes work. If you need blood to go to your brain, you can get choked.

There are guys that are tough to choke. Guys with no neck. But even Jeff Monson knows that he can get choked.

This post has been deleted
#9 ·
Ok your friend is terrible. If its a basic RNC he is doing thats a BLOOD choke, you can still breathe but your brain is getting no blood.

Hell most chokes are blood chokes, the person is breathing just fine but they get shut off due to lack of blood to the brain. If your friend knew anything about what he was doing he would have known that.

Wanna test it? Go to a BJJ school if you have one locally, and ask them to slap a RNC on you, see if you go out. I bet you will.

#10 · (Edited)
Just saying right now theres no such thing as impossible to choke hes probably the type of guy that uses biceps only (only a retardedly strong guy can choke someone out that way). Even though im physically weak i can still choke guys out that are bigger than me if they give me their back or if i get an opening during a scramble. Also a rnc with correct technique has to be tight the bicep should be completely enveloping the neck if it isnt its too lose. In jujitsu everything has to be tight.

#11 ·
haha, this reminds me of a buddy of mine. He was rolling around in the yard with some buddies who didn't know anything except what they learned from watching TUF and a few UFC events...they had tried choking him and couldn't because he's a beast and has hardly no neck. He came to my house one day and was talking about how he was "impossible to choke". I pulled out the mats and we rolled...I choked him about 50 times just because I knew what the hell I was doing.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.