Mixed Martial Arts Forum banner

the Unorthodox Striking Drills Thread

5K views 2 replies 2 participants last post by  khoveraki 
#1 ·
Just like the title says. I want to dedicate a thread to the odd but effective striking drills that some of us do. Whether it's what you do at home, at your MMA gym, a video a professional fighter has out... Anything as long as it's a little out of the ordinary.

I'll post two to start, one my gym does and one I do.

Heavy bag breathing drill
-Stand infront of your heavy bag, control your breathing.
-Take a deep breath and hold it
-While holding your breath, strike as hard and fast as you can, work good combos and posture but do not breath
-When you can't hold your breath any more, breath slowly and continue to strike.

Five reps.

Benefits
Increase your cardio, works on striking while gassed, works on creating combos while gassed.

Tree opponent drill

This is the one I do at my own place. You'll want shin pads, tough gloves (MMA 4oz, not boxing), and possibly elbow and knee pads. Find a tree that's at least as thick as you are, and no branches till ~7 feet up.

-Stand infront of the tree. Decide a minimum distance that you're allowed to backpedal. 3-4 feet max.
-Set a timer for 3-5 minutes, depending on your conditioning.
-Work good combos, head movement, and stances. Switch from southpaw to standard, work different levels (head-torso-leg).
-Don't exceed backpedal limit.
-Push the pace hard.
-Strike lightly at first, incorrect striking technique will cause injury.

Benefits
This will work WONDERS on highlighting your techniques. If you're doing them wrong, you'll know right away and can work towards perfecting them. If you're doing them right you can throw almost 100% into your striking. Also improves cardio, aggression, foot movement.

See less See more
#2 ·
Those techniques work well especially to hone your stand up mainly boxing...what i would toss in there are combinations in the first routine instead of just going buck wild on the bag and def I would breath....

Even Shadow boxing will teach you the right way to throw strikes, the main thing in striking is delivering your blow with the most power behind it so most people have a tendency to pound things when they train....wrong thing you really want to perfect the technique behind the strike and the power will come....

When i train I throw 6-8 punch combos more kick boxing than Karate at this point.....head kicks, body and head punches and with out a doubt jabs....being shorter most likely I'm coming first with a right or left head kick, so those are pretty well perfected at this point for me....thats to keep distance from opponent and from there I'm taking what he gives as I'd rather counter simply because it leaves the opening for me to capitalize on a mistake.......

Karate fighters typically are going to have a much wider stance to start when training or fighting.....basically the same thing, the level or shall we say amount of strikes you throw most likely would be considerably less, instead more pin point in terms of accuracy and effectiveness....

So in that wide stance known by many as horse back stance from which kicks and punches are thrown, also blocks and sweeps if clinched with opponent....this is a stationary position meaning your feet are planted....the foot work and movement at angles either forward or back wards are really not the type of thing that can just be verbally explained......

I like the idea of embedding videos however I dont have any and when Michael Carson tried to teach me to embed videos I couldn't do it.....

I can do alot on this forum but embedding videos isn't one of them....dude literally tried explaining it on chat for like an hr.....dude has the patience of a statue....

rep to Michael Carson he's a great member/mod....

CC420

#3 · (Edited)

Striking to take-downs

Another one we do at my gym, that is sort of highlighted here with Mousasi.

-Two partners taking turns.
-First partner gets to throw a combo, second partner is trying to block
-When combo is done, the defending partner has to go for one take-down attempt as fast as possible.

Benefits
The main benefit of this is learning take-down defense while you're on the offense, which is when most strikers are taken down. The defending partner gets to practice blocks, and take-downs to escape a barrage of strikes.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.