||03-22-2012 09:16 PM
Thiago Santos misses weight (277lbs), fight with Prindle off
Dang, this sucks, very unprofessional from Santos. Wonder if they'll delay it again or just award Prindle the title shot.
||03-22-2012 10:06 PM
According to the twitters of MMA journalists, it looks like they're giving Prindle the money and the title shot.
||03-23-2012 07:39 AM
Right Decison imo. Missing 265lbs is just plain lazy. No one weighs 300lbs without putting away some serious junk food.
||03-23-2012 02:02 PM
62 weigh-in results: Thiago Santos heavy, Eric Prindle awarded tournament win
Yet again, Thiago Santos and Eric Prindle will not fight.
Santos weighed 277.8 pounds at Thursday's Bellator 62 official weigh-ins, and his season-five heavyweight tournament rematch with Prindle was scratched.
With Santos missing weight, Prindle was declared the season-five tournament victor and will now meet Bellator heavyweight champion Cole Konrad at a later date.
The decision comes just one week after the planned rematch was scratched from Bellator 61 when Prindle was suffering from "flu-like symptoms."
Today's festivities took place at La Posada Hotel in Laredo, Texas. The nearby Laredo Energy Arena hosts Friday's event, which includes a main card on MTV2 (and in high-definition on EPIX) with prelims streaming on on Spike.com.
All of the night's season-six lightweight-tournament fighters were on weight for their opening-round bouts.*
Patricky "Pitbull" Freire and Lloyd Woodard provided the evening's most intense staredown, with a brief nose-to-nose encounter. Fortunately cooler heads prevailed, and the two kept the fisticuffs in reserve for Friday's bout. With the Prindle vs. Santos bout scratched, Freire and Woodard are now Bellator 62's main event.
Preliminary card contestant Joseph Daily also weighed in heavy for his fight with Sean Spencer, registering 173.2 pounds for the welterweight matchup. Daily has been given additional time to lose the remaining 2.2 pounds.
A previously scheduled fight between Cosmo Alexander and Oscar de la Parra was also scrapped. Bellator officials said the contest was scratched 24 hours prior to Thursday's weigh-ins but did not specify the reason for the change.
The full Bellator 62 weigh-in results included:*
MAIN CARD (MTV2)
Eric Prindle (265.2) vs. Thiago Santos (277.8)* - season-five heavyweight-tourney final rematch
Patricky "Pitbull" Freire (155.6) vs. Lloyd Woodard (154.8) - lightweight-tourney opening round
Rick Hawn (155.6) vs. Ricardo Tirloni (155.2) - lightweight-tourney opening round
Thiago Michel (154.8) vs. Rene Nazare (155.8) - lightweight-tourney opening round
J.J. Ambrose (155) vs. Brent Weedman (155.8) - lightweight-tourney opening round
PRELIMINARY CARD (Spike.com)
Sonny Luque (162.2) vs. Luis Vega (158.6)
Steven Peterson (145.2) vs. Chris Jones (145.8)
Joseph Daily (173.2)# vs. Sean Spencer (170)
Dave Jansen (155.8) vs. Jacob Kirwan (155.4)
Douglas Frey (145.6) vs. Rad Martinez (145.8)
* - Santos was overweight and removed from the fight, giving Prindle a default tournament win
# - Daily has been given 90 minutes to lose an additional 2.2 pounds
||03-23-2012 07:30 PM
Good for him, how can santos miss that much weight?
||03-30-2012 04:40 PM
Maybe he went on a binge or something like that.
||03-30-2012 04:47 PM
Yesterday he said he takes responsibility for not being able to cut weight two weeks in a row:
Bellator Fighting Championships heavyweight Thiago Santos (10-1 MMA, 2-0 BFC) claims he is a changed man.
After making the trip from the U.S. back to his native Brazil, Santos has reflected on his Bellator 62 weight gaffe, and "Big Monster" takes full responsibility.
While Santos' camp was initially critical of Bellator brass, the fighter and his team now admit not making weight is nobody's fault but their own. And while the mistake cost Santos a chance to fight for Bellator's heavyweight belt, he's positive it will never happen again.
"First, I'd like to apologize to the entire Bellator team, to my fans and to MTV2," Santos told MMAjunkie.com (www.mmajunkie.com) in his native Portuguese. "I take responsibility for my error and promise that starting today, all will see a new Thiago 'Big Monster.'
"I thought I could cut weight two weeks in a row. I didn't manage to do it. I tried everything but couldn't lose a single gram."
Santos earned his way into Bellator's season-five tournament final with impressive submission wins over Neil Grove and Josh Burns. He then faced Eric Prindle in the finals of the tourney only to see the fight end in a no-contest after kicking his opponent in the groin. The controversial ending set up a rematch at Bellator 61, but that fight was delayed one week when Prindle was stricken with "flu-like symptoms."
Santos then failed to make weight for the rescheduled rematch at this past Friday night's Bellator 62 event, he was pulled from the fight, and his opponent was awarded a season-five tournament victory.
Santos' manager, Josef Borges, initially put some of the blame on the promotion, claiming that the need to cut weight in two-consecutive weeks made it impossible for his client. However, now that he's had a chance to reflect, Borges is also changing his tune.
"I would like to publicly request Bellator's forgiveness," Borges said. "I was emotionally stunned by all that took place. Thiago arrived from his trip home and spoke to me. He helped me see that the blame for what happened is ours only.
"Bellator has always treated Thiago well, and Thiago had every chance to become the champion. As such, I withdraw my previous statements and apologize to Bellator. I admit our error, and we'll make changes to make sure it does not happen again."
Santos currently walks around at more than 300 pounds and cuts to the heavyweight limit of 265. However, after this incident, he's going to trim down in an effort to avoid future issues. He also promises to make Bellator proud of their decision not to release him from his contract.
"Starting now, I'll follow the advice of my manager Josef Borges and my teacher Cezar 'Casquinha' Guimaraes, and I'll remain at 118 kilograms (260 pounds) for my next bouts," Santos said. "I wish to thank Sam Caplan, who took good care of me and gave me his full support. Thank you, Sam.
"I wish to put an end to all controversy. I admit my guilt and exempt Bellator. I received good advice from my team, but I did not listen, so I wish to publicly admit my error, and I ask for the forgiveness of the fans and others I've disappointed. I promise to do things differently going forward.
"I owe a debt to Bellator and plan to pay it with exciting fights. I hope they call me to fight soon because I'll be very motivated."
||03-30-2012 05:03 PM
How in the world could he say he couldn't loose a single gram? That is a load of crap!
|All times are GMT -4. The time now is 03:42 PM.
Powered by vBulletin Version 3.6.8 , Copyright ©2000 - 2013, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
SEO by vBSEO 3.3.2