Computer questions - MMA Forum - UFC Forums - UFC Results - MMA Videos
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 24 (permalink) Old 05-11-2012, 10:50 AM Thread Starter
-DayDay Knucks-
 
HitOrGetHit's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Posts: 20,138
Blog Entries: 13
                     
Computer questions

Ask anything you want to know about computers from how somthing works to help with picking computers or parts!


-Always Supporting-
Miesha Tate - Urijah Faber - Dustin Poirier - Frankie Edgar - Claudia Gadelha - Tecia Torres - Demian Maia - Jessica Eye - Diaz Bro's

Sig Credit: M.C
HitOrGetHit is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 24 (permalink) Old 05-11-2012, 11:34 AM
Gone Fishing
 
Rusty's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Gods country
Posts: 4,503
Blog Entries: 2
                     
How much difference does an SSD make? Are they worth the money? What exactly do they do?
Rusty is offline  
post #3 of 24 (permalink) Old 05-11-2012, 12:09 PM
Cheeky freak of the week
 
luckbox's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Norway
Posts: 1,646
                     
A SSD (Solid-state drive) is a data storage unit that unlike your standard hard disks doesn't have any moving mechanical components. As a result, it's cooler, more silent and responds/works faster than the HDD. The smartest thing to do with your SSD is to store your operating system on it. This will make your computer feel brand new if you have been struggling with a crap hard drive. My PC boots at around 15 seconds. It's also great for load heavy games such as Skyrim.

The downside is, obvioulsy, the price. It's many times more expensive per unit of storage compared to a HDD. I've also heard some SSD's have a tendency to be unstable and to crash, but this is not something I have experienced myself.

Is it worth the cost? Yeah, I would say so. Quality comes at a price, and a good SSD responds incredibly quick. You won't believe how fast your PC boots with this thing.


luckbox is offline  
post #4 of 24 (permalink) Old 05-11-2012, 12:24 PM
Gone Fishing
 
Rusty's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Gods country
Posts: 4,503
Blog Entries: 2
                     
How do I shorten the amount it takes to download games or movies? Is it do with internet speed or quality of the computer?
Rusty is offline  
post #5 of 24 (permalink) Old 05-11-2012, 12:33 PM
 
K R Y's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Wales, Boyo!
Posts: 10,732
                     
Quote:
Originally Posted by luckbox View Post
A SSD (Solid-state drive) is a data storage unit that unlike your standard hard disks doesn't have any moving mechanical components. As a result, it's cooler, more silent and responds/works faster than the HDD. The smartest thing to do with your SSD is to store your operating system on it. This will make your computer feel brand new if you have been struggling with a crap hard drive. My PC boots at around 15 seconds. It's also great for load heavy games such as Skyrim.

The downside is, obvioulsy, the price. It's many times more expensive per unit of storage compared to a HDD. I've also heard some SSD's have a tendency to be unstable and to crash, but this is not something I have experienced myself.

Is it worth the cost? Yeah, I would say so. Quality comes at a price, and a good SSD responds incredibly quick. You won't believe how fast your PC boots with this thing.
The last sentence I can vouch for. Just got one myself. It's insane. From pressing the on button to browsing the internet in about 20seconds or so.


Quote:
Originally Posted by RustyRenegade View Post
How do I shorten the amount it takes to download games or movies? Is it do with internet speed or quality of the computer?
Purely internet speed. Although if the PC is from the 90's, it may struggle to open the downloader in the first place
K R Y is offline  
post #6 of 24 (permalink) Old 05-11-2012, 12:34 PM Thread Starter
-DayDay Knucks-
 
HitOrGetHit's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Posts: 20,138
Blog Entries: 13
                     
Quote:
Originally Posted by RustyRenegade View Post
How do I shorten the amount it takes to download games or movies? Is it do with internet speed or quality of the computer?
If you are downloading from the Internet then it is greatly dependent on your Internet. Different Internet packages usually offer higher or lower upload and download speeds.


-Always Supporting-
Miesha Tate - Urijah Faber - Dustin Poirier - Frankie Edgar - Claudia Gadelha - Tecia Torres - Demian Maia - Jessica Eye - Diaz Bro's

Sig Credit: M.C
HitOrGetHit is offline  
post #7 of 24 (permalink) Old 05-11-2012, 12:50 PM
Gone Fishing
 
Rusty's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Gods country
Posts: 4,503
Blog Entries: 2
                     
I've got the fastest i can get in my area but the Diablo beta download took over 10 hours. I don't download much but that seemed like an awfully long time
Rusty is offline  
post #8 of 24 (permalink) Old 05-11-2012, 12:57 PM
 
K R Y's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Wales, Boyo!
Posts: 10,732
                     
That's even worse that my internet, which is saying something. Diablo 3 took me about 3 hours, which is still rubbish.

I assume you live in a rural area? We always get shafted by internet companies Just not worth their time to fit fiber optic.
K R Y is offline  
post #9 of 24 (permalink) Old 05-11-2012, 01:21 PM Thread Starter
-DayDay Knucks-
 
HitOrGetHit's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Posts: 20,138
Blog Entries: 13
                     
My cousins and grandparents can't get anything high speed either because of where they live.


-Always Supporting-
Miesha Tate - Urijah Faber - Dustin Poirier - Frankie Edgar - Claudia Gadelha - Tecia Torres - Demian Maia - Jessica Eye - Diaz Bro's

Sig Credit: M.C
HitOrGetHit is offline  
post #10 of 24 (permalink) Old 05-11-2012, 01:50 PM
Gone Fishing
 
Rusty's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Gods country
Posts: 4,503
Blog Entries: 2
                     
Quote:
Originally Posted by K R Y View Post
That's even worse that my internet, which is saying something. Diablo 3 took me about 3 hours, which is still rubbish.

I assume you live in a rural area? We always get shafted by internet companies Just not worth their time to fit fiber optic.
I wouldn't call it rural but there isn't a stoplight in the town where I live

I couldn't tell you the actual speed that I have but there is another step up from what I have available just not for my side of town.
Rusty is offline  
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the MMA Forum - UFC Forums - UFC Results - MMA Videos forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in









Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.




Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Display Modes
Linear Mode Linear Mode



Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome