Linux? - MMA Forum - UFC Forums - UFC Results - MMA Videos
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 18 (permalink) Old 06-26-2010, 03:16 AM Thread Starter
LONGHAIRED COUNTRYBOY
 
oldfan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: NC.
Posts: 9,110
Blog Entries: 1
                     
Linux?

Just wondering if anybody else out there is using linux?

I've been using ubuntu for a couple of years. Ever since Bill Gates said I would have to give him more money and upgrade my fairly new computer if I want to keep using windows.

I can't say it's been a smooth transition ( i know more about drivers than I ever wanted to) but all in all I like it. And there is a whole world of free open source software out there. The problem is no one bothers to make the slick fun well produced tutorials for free shit!

Thus the reason for this thread.

anyone using linux?....anyone?......help...

Last edited by oldfan; 06-26-2010 at 03:17 AM. Reason: can't sepll
oldfan is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 18 (permalink) Old 10-08-2010, 10:49 PM
Delicious Pudding
 
D.P.'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Jersey City, NJ
Posts: 10,932
                     
This is a thread I could benefit from since I started using Ubuntu 10.04 like last week.

It's been fun so far, and like you mentioned the free software is awesome...but I wish there were tutorials, mainly for commands.



D.P. is offline  
post #3 of 18 (permalink) Old 10-08-2010, 11:57 PM Thread Starter
LONGHAIRED COUNTRYBOY
 
oldfan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: NC.
Posts: 9,110
Blog Entries: 1
                     
Welcome to the free world!

Our motto is " in a world without walls and fences, we need no WINDOWS or GATES.

Here's a place to start on terminal commands. But I haven't opened a terminal in a long time. Don't really have to anymore thanks to ubuntu.
http://www.techieblogger.com/2009/10...at-sheets.html

here's another
http://www.unixguide.net/linux/linuxshortcuts.shtml

I described it to a commercial fisherman friend of mine who was thinking of switching like this:

If computers were fish. Microsoft says "we'll sell you all the fish you want but, you can only fry them in our grease and you can only eat them with our special sauce.

Linux says " here's a free hook and a string. when you catch some fish we have some free cook books."

He stuck with windoz

My biggest gripe is gimp. It can do anything photoshop can do and more, ...if you can figure out how.

I really thought there would be more young geeks on here that were in to it.

I started my kids on qimo(linux for kids)/xp dual boot(with a made for kids desktop called hoopah) at a very young age. When my five year olds kindergarten had computer day my baby asked the teacher " what operating system are we using? and can we bring our own apps?

oldfan is offline  
post #4 of 18 (permalink) Old 10-09-2010, 02:09 PM
Delicious Pudding
 
D.P.'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Jersey City, NJ
Posts: 10,932
                     
Quote:
Originally Posted by oldfan View Post
Welcome to the free world!

Our motto is " in a world without walls and fences, we need no WINDOWS or GATES.

Here's a place to start on terminal commands. But I haven't opened a terminal in a long time. Don't really have to anymore thanks to ubuntu.
http://www.techieblogger.com/2009/10...at-sheets.html

here's another
http://www.unixguide.net/linux/linuxshortcuts.shtml

I described it to a commercial fisherman friend of mine who was thinking of switching like this:

If computers were fish. Microsoft says "we'll sell you all the fish you want but, you can only fry them in our grease and you can only eat them with our special sauce.

Linux says " here's a free hook and a string. when you catch some fish we have some free cook books."

He stuck with windoz

My biggest gripe is gimp. It can do anything photoshop can do and more, ...if you can figure out how.

I really thought there would be more young geeks on here that were in to it.

I started my kids on qimo(linux for kids)/xp dual boot(with a made for kids desktop called hoopah) at a very young age. When my five year olds kindergarten had computer day my baby asked the teacher " what operating system are we using? and can we bring our own apps?

Awesome thanks! It's funny you mentioned Gimp as that was the only thing that I didn't really like since I've been using photoshop for a long time, idk if I want to have to learn a new program. I'm sticking with linux though, it's a lot of fun and it should be even more fun when I learn everything in detail.



D.P. is offline  
post #5 of 18 (permalink) Old 10-31-2010, 08:36 PM Thread Starter
LONGHAIRED COUNTRYBOY
 
oldfan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: NC.
Posts: 9,110
Blog Entries: 1
                     
Quote:
Originally Posted by D.P. View Post
Awesome thanks! It's funny you mentioned Gimp as that was the only thing that I didn't really like since I've been using photoshop for a long time, idk if I want to have to learn a new program. I'm sticking with linux though, it's a lot of fun and it should be even more fun when I learn everything in detail.
I found a couple of cool options to the gimp problem
http://gimpshop.com/

is a modified version with a photoshop like UI.

and I found a really easy online app here. used it to make my first sig.http://www.aviary.com/

war cap
oldfan is offline  
post #6 of 18 (permalink) Old 11-04-2010, 02:26 PM
Delicious Pudding
 
D.P.'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Jersey City, NJ
Posts: 10,932
                     
Quote:
Originally Posted by oldfan View Post
I found a couple of cool options to the gimp problem
http://gimpshop.com/

is a modified version with a photoshop like UI.

and I found a really easy online app here. used it to make my first sig.http://www.aviary.com/

war cap
Nice!



D.P. is offline  
post #7 of 18 (permalink) Old 02-09-2011, 10:05 AM Thread Starter
LONGHAIRED COUNTRYBOY
 
oldfan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: NC.
Posts: 9,110
Blog Entries: 1
                     
I finally gave up on trying to straighten out my ubuntu 10.10 upgrade. Did a re-install of 10.4 and everything works perfectly again. This time no partition so no vista.

The only things holding me back were turbo tax and quickbooks.

This year I'm using outright.com and tax act.

Goodbye Bill Gates. I'm free.
oldfan is offline  
post #8 of 18 (permalink) Old 02-09-2011, 01:24 PM
Defecato, ergo sum
 
Gluteal Cleft's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Posts: 1,151
                     
I've been using it now for almost 20 years. Started with the Slackware floppies, and then used it at an ISP before the Internet was cool. These days, I manage so many servers that run it, I couldn't even count them. I've done work under Windows servers, and it's like having your teeth pulled slowly.

But as for the desktop... my desktops are still Windows. Even though there's very little you can't do with Linux... as you've discovered, you often have to jump through a hundred hoops or wait 10 years to make it happen.

Don't get me wrong... I dream of the day when I can convert all of the desktops in my call center to Linux. It would make my job sooo much easier, and cost the company less money. But they have to deal with things every day which they *can* do on Linux... but not as well, not as fast, and having to jump through more hoops.

Going on to the programmers and developers here.... these are folks that do Linux programming all day long. Yet only one has actually chosen to use Linux on his desktop.

Defecato, ergo sum.


Leading the Thiago Silva bandwagon
Gluteal Cleft is offline  
post #9 of 18 (permalink) Old 03-02-2011, 05:48 PM
It Lurks...
 
evilappendix's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: NOLA
Posts: 605
                     
I'm running ubuntu on my laptop and mint on my wimpy desktop. I got into using linux a few years back after relocating to Boulder. I had no money and no way to keep in touch with family and friends that were scattered to the four corners so my cousins roomie built me a free computer from scavenged parts and tossed linux on there. Frankly, I'll never pay for another microsoft product again and macs are just an embarrassment when people try arguing their advantages.. Open source 4eva.
evilappendix is offline  
post #10 of 18 (permalink) Old 03-02-2011, 06:54 PM Thread Starter
LONGHAIRED COUNTRYBOY
 
oldfan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: NC.
Posts: 9,110
Blog Entries: 1
                     
Quote:
Originally Posted by evilappendix View Post
I'm running ubuntu on my laptop and mint on my wimpy desktop. I got into using linux a few years back after relocating to Boulder. I had no money and no way to keep in touch with family and friends that were scattered to the four corners so my cousins roomie built me a free computer from scavenged parts and tossed linux on there. Frankly, I'll never pay for another microsoft product again and macs are just an embarrassment when people try arguing their advantages.. Open source 4eva.
^^ Amen brother. I put mint on an old laptop for my mom and she never really knew the difference. She already used chrome and as long as she could email and play with pix (picasa) she was happy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gluteal Cleft View Post
I've been using it now for almost 20 years. Started with the Slackware floppies, and then used it at an ISP before the Internet was cool. These days, I manage so many servers that run it, I couldn't even count them. I've done work under Windows servers, and it's like having your teeth pulled slowly.

But as for the desktop... my desktops are still Windows. Even though there's very little you can't do with Linux... as you've discovered, you often have to jump through a hundred hoops or wait 10 years to make it happen.

Don't get me wrong... I dream of the day when I can convert all of the desktops in my call center to Linux. It would make my job sooo much easier, and cost the company less money. But they have to deal with things every day which they *can* do on Linux... but not as well, not as fast, and having to jump through more hoops.

Going on to the programmers and developers here.... these are folks that do Linux programming all day long. Yet only one has actually chosen to use Linux on his desktop.

I don't doubt a word you say. I'm not a geek and it has been challenging to say the least. But, I enjoy the challenge of " I can do anything you can do". and do it for free. ( I'll admit that if my time were worth anything I'd be in the hole.)

I like to think one day people will wake up and decide not to be an income stream for bill gates or steve jobs their whole life.

On another note, is it just me or does chrome seem to work MUCH better on ubuntu than MS?
oldfan is offline  
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the MMA Forum - UFC Forums - UFC Results - MMA Videos forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in









Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.




Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Display Modes
Linear Mode Linear Mode



Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome