Currently Reading? - Page 35 - MMA Forum - UFC Forums - UFC Results - MMA Videos
Entertainment The new cool place to hang out! Come and discuss movies, tv shows, video games, music, or anything else you can think of!

 5Likes
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #341 of 758 (permalink) Old 04-29-2010, 11:42 AM
Curitiba Food and Liquor
 
swpthleg's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: NY
Posts: 16,176
Blog Entries: 14
                     
Quote:
Originally Posted by SJ View Post
"Organic Gardener's Handbook of Natural Insect and Disease Control."
Was that an integrated pest management shout out?


Sig Credit to Toxic
swpthleg is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #342 of 758 (permalink) Old 04-29-2010, 03:34 PM
CoutureCop
 
Davisty69's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Las Vegas
Posts: 6,091
                     
Quote:
Originally Posted by diablo5597 View Post
http://www.bestfantasybooks.com/top25-fantasy-books.php

I've been looking there for a good series to start reading.

So far I'm considering, A Game of Thrones, The First Law, The Dark Tower, and Dresden Files. So what do I want to read?

I'm looking for something that's not too complex, easy to understand, and something that will have me hooked so I can't put it down. I was interested in the Wheel of time series but I heard it goes downhill after about book 6 and is hard to follow with so much stuff happening. But other than that it sounds cool. Any suggestions?
With this criteria, the Dresden series is hands down the best option by and far. Game of thrones is the best fantasy series out there IMO, but it is fairly complex, especially at the beginning.

Dresden, on the other hand, is awesome. It is fairly easy to grasp, and it is probably the most thoroughly entertaining series I've ever read. On the whole, I put Dresden right below the Game of thrones simply because it is so completely exciting and entertaining.

BTW, the Coldfire series is very fantastic as well, with some philosophical elements in it as well.

I'm slightly jealous of you. I wish I could go back and read all these great series for the first time again

Also, I have these books on ebook on my computer. PM me if you want to know where to get them.

I'm currently reading The First Law Series, by Abercrombie. It is pretty damn good I must say. I've been plowing through the books because the fights scenes are incredibly descriptive and entertaining.


Check out MMAforum.com's
Top 25 Fights to show a new MMA fan!!

http://www.mmaforum.com/ufc/69374-to...ml#post1079252
Davisty69 is offline  
post #343 of 758 (permalink) Old 04-29-2010, 06:18 PM
The Detective
 
diablo5597's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Posts: 1,338
                     
Quote:
Originally Posted by Darkwraith View Post
Have you tried the Lord of The Isles series by David Drake? That is a good series.
Haven't heard of it. I'll look up some stuff on it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Davisty69 View Post
With this criteria, the Dresden series is hands down the best option by and far. Game of thrones is the best fantasy series out there IMO, but it is fairly complex, especially at the beginning.

Dresden, on the other hand, is awesome. It is fairly easy to grasp, and it is probably the most thoroughly entertaining series I've ever read. On the whole, I put Dresden right below the Game of thrones simply because it is so completely exciting and entertaining.

BTW, the Coldfire series is very fantastic as well, with some philosophical elements in it as well.

I'm slightly jealous of you. I wish I could go back and read all these great series for the first time again

Also, I have these books on ebook on my computer. PM me if you want to know where to get them.

I'm currently reading The First Law Series, by Abercrombie. It is pretty damn good I must say. I've been plowing through the books because the fights scenes are incredibly descriptive and entertaining.
Thx for the advice. I think I will give the Dresden Files a try for my 1st series that I read. How can the recommendation of a fellow Bucs fan be wrong? Before book 1 of the series, there is a prequel that I heard is in graphic novel form. Should I read that before book 1 or after the last book in the series?

Also, I think I would rather read a paper copy because I don't have a laptop and I would rather read in bed or on a couch than at my desk chair.
diablo5597 is offline  
post #344 of 758 (permalink) Old 04-29-2010, 06:28 PM
Lightweight
 
Sicilian_Esq's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Posts: 1,570
                     
Trying to get through "The Hobbit." I liked LOTR, but have never been a fan of Tolkien's writing, although I do love his ideas.

I've been trying to muscle this down for over 15 years now. No clue as to why I have so much trouble staying interested in it.
Sicilian_Esq is offline  
post #345 of 758 (permalink) Old 04-29-2010, 06:35 PM
Clowns will eat me
 
Darkwraith's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Cox's Creek, KY
Posts: 3,958
                     
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sicilian_Esq View Post
Trying to get through "The Hobbit." I liked LOTR, but have never been a fan of Tolkien's writing, although I do love his ideas.

I've been trying to muscle this down for over 15 years now. No clue as to why I have so much trouble staying interested in it.
I don't understand why either, I have read the whole thing at least a couple of times...I guess his style is a matter of personal taste...


Thanks to Toxic for the Awesome Sig!

Even if the whole world is against you, one thing will never let you down. That thing is beer.



Darkwraith is offline  
post #346 of 758 (permalink) Old 04-29-2010, 07:06 PM
CoutureCop
 
Davisty69's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Las Vegas
Posts: 6,091
                     
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sicilian_Esq View Post
Trying to get through "The Hobbit." I liked LOTR, but have never been a fan of Tolkien's writing, although I do love his ideas.

I've been trying to muscle this down for over 15 years now. No clue as to why I have so much trouble staying interested in it.
I understand the trouble with getting through the first 200 pages of the Fellowship, but the Hobbit was pretty easy for me. Easily, the most entertaining book written by Tolkien IMO.

btw, have any of you seen how the Lord of the Rings should have ended


And Diablo, the prequel is worth reading, but hardly necessary. There are actually a couple short stories he wrote in between several of the books, and they are all fun, but like the prequel, hardly necessary..


Check out MMAforum.com's
Top 25 Fights to show a new MMA fan!!

http://www.mmaforum.com/ufc/69374-to...ml#post1079252

Last edited by Davisty69; 04-29-2010 at 07:10 PM.
Davisty69 is offline  
post #347 of 758 (permalink) Old 04-29-2010, 07:15 PM
Clowns will eat me
 
Darkwraith's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Cox's Creek, KY
Posts: 3,958
                     
Quote:
Originally Posted by Davisty69 View Post
I understand the trouble with getting through the first 200 pages of the Fellowship, but the Hobbit was pretty easy for me. Easily, the most entertaining book written by Tolkien IMO.

btw, have any of you seen how the Lord of the Rings should have ended


And Diablo, the prequel is worth reading, but hardly necessary. There are actually a couple short stories he wrote in between several of the books, and they are all fun, but like the prequel, hardly necessary..
Yes I have seen that, I cracked up because it is soo true!


Thanks to Toxic for the Awesome Sig!

Even if the whole world is against you, one thing will never let you down. That thing is beer.



Darkwraith is offline  
post #348 of 758 (permalink) Old 04-29-2010, 07:52 PM Thread Starter
ASS MAN
 
Walker's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Austin, Texas
Posts: 6,063
                     
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sicilian_Esq View Post
Trying to get through "The Hobbit." I liked LOTR, but have never been a fan of Tolkien's writing, although I do love his ideas.

I've been trying to muscle this down for over 15 years now. No clue as to why I have so much trouble staying interested in it.
The Hobbit was written for Tolkien's kids so it's not as good IMO as LOTR and like DW I've read all of his books multiple times. One I would definitely suggest is the Silmarillion- it was never fully completed but it is the "prequel" to the LOTR series. You have to get past the bible Genesis-type opening(lots of singing lol) but then it gets really badass- with great stories and battles. I honestly like it as much as I like LOTR.

After Davisty's suggestions I throw out the Malazan Book of the Fallen series by Steven Erikson- I'm about to start book 5 and so far each one has gotten better and better. Really can't wait to get back into that series.

Walker is offline  
post #349 of 758 (permalink) Old 04-29-2010, 09:05 PM
The Forum Drunk
 
xeberus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Posts: 9,450
                     
Quote:
Originally Posted by Walker View Post
The Hobbit was written for Tolkien's kids so it's not as good IMO as LOTR and like DW I've read all his books multiple times. One I would definitely suggest is the Silmarillion- it was never fully completed but it is the "prequel" to the LOTR series. You have to get past the bible Genesis-type opening(lots of singing lol) but then it gets really badass- with great stories and battles. I honestly like it as much as I like LOTR.

After Davisty's suggestions I throw out the Malazan Book of the Fallen series by Steven Erikson- I'm about to start book 5 and so far each one has gotten better and better. Really can't wait to get back into that series.
I really liked "the hobbit" it was the only one of tolky's work that I read more than once. But then again I liked harry potter so



If a law is unjust, a man is not only right to disobey it, he is obligated to do so. ~ Thomas Jefferson


Sig by D.P.



xeberus is offline  
post #350 of 758 (permalink) Old 04-29-2010, 09:20 PM Thread Starter
ASS MAN
 
Walker's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Austin, Texas
Posts: 6,063
                     
Quote:
Originally Posted by xeberus View Post
I really liked "the hobbit" it was the only one of tolky's work that I read more than once. But then again I liked harry potter so
No worries man, I really liked The Hobbit too. But it was just written a little different from his other Middle Earth stuff.

And I was totally into Harry Potter too- really loved those books.

Walker is offline  
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the MMA Forum - UFC Forums - UFC Results - MMA Videos forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in









Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.




Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Display Modes
Linear Mode Linear Mode



Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome