MMA Forum - UFC Forums - UFC Results - MMA Videos

MMA Forum - UFC Forums - UFC Results - MMA Videos (http://www.mmaforum.com/)
-   Gear & Equipment (http://www.mmaforum.com/gear-equipment/)
-   -   eye contacts? (http://www.mmaforum.com/gear-equipment/18273-eye-contacts.html)

MMA_76 07-05-2007 03:08 PM

eye contacts?
 
i have been doing muay thai and bjj for about 2 months now and for the first time last week when i was rolling an elbow caught my eye and it knocked my contact out. i was wondering is this a common thing and should i take out my contacts before any session or is this rare and just never happens

Suvaco 07-05-2007 04:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MMA_76
i have been doing muay thai and bjj for about 2 months now and for the first time last week when i was rolling an elbow caught my eye and it knocked my contact out. i was wondering is this a common thing and should i take out my contacts before any session or is this rare and just never happens

I wear contacts too and mine have never been knocked out, but they have been pushed around a little. I don't have the option of taking them out because I'm pretty much blind without them, but I can just take an extra one in case something happens. To answer your question, no it isn't very common, but it does happen.

KnockinUout 07-12-2007 06:37 PM

This is great cause I wear contacts and didnt know what other people did. I prefered to take mine out cause I am only partially blinded without them. I am near sited so it isnt that bad. But maybe ill leave mine in.

traf_quake 07-12-2007 08:09 PM

ya i get that too sometimes....only had it once when i was rolling....other than that sometimes it gets knocked around if i get punched during stand up....but no biggies.... a lot of people in pro mma wear contacts and dont have problems...like keith jardine...as soon as he started wearing contacts over his regular eyesight it looks like hes been improving

fr50089 07-17-2007 12:11 AM

This is a great thread because I was wondering the same thing but didnt think about it until I read this. I was told to take them out because if I were to get knocked out they would role back in my eye does anyone know if this is true?

Suvaco 07-17-2007 01:42 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by fr50089
This is a great thread because I was wondering the same thing but didnt think about it until I read this. I was told to take them out because if I were to get knocked out they would role back in my eye does anyone know if this is true?

I've heard it, but never from a doctor or anyone of actual knowledge, and it's never even come close to happening to me.

traf_quake 07-17-2007 12:51 PM

i've had it happen a couple times....its really no big deal.....the contact can't really go all the way back and get lost (at least i'm like70% sure) it just rolls a bit behind...but if you look in the mirror you can still see the edge of it...the way to get it out is to close your eyes so it comes forward with your eyelid....then put your finger where the contact is behind the lid...open your eye while sliding your finger down the eyelid....the contact usually just pops out....or...blinking loads of times gets it out too....never had it happen in mma....never....only times its happened are when i'm rubbing my eyes really hard and all over the place

KnockinUout 07-19-2007 01:12 AM

The first thing I would do if I was a pro fighter would be get laser surgery. I think it would be a great investment if fighting for a living.

Suvaco 07-19-2007 01:15 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by KnockinUout
The first thing I would do if I was a pro fighter would be get laser surgery. I think it would be a great investment if fighting for a living.

I have no intention of becoming a pro fighter, and I still plan to get laser surgery once I'm old enough.

whiplash 07-19-2007 10:46 PM

i wear contacts and i have never had this problem.. ive experienced dry eyes when the humidity is low and im moving a lot around the ring...

time to save up for LASIK i guess... its more valuable the earlier you get it in life (longer years of clear vision)


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 10:09 PM.

Powered by vBulletin Version 3.6.8 , Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
SEO by vBSEO 3.3.2