Watch Tim Sylvia defeat his opponent in a mere twelve seconds - Page 3 - MMA Forum - UFC Forums - UFC Results - MMA Videos
General MMA Discussion Discuss King Of The Cage, Ultimate Challenge UK, and HDNet Fights as well as general mixed martial arts discussion.

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #21 of 40 (permalink) Old 06-22-2012, 11:03 AM
Cry Havoc
 
IcemanCometh's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Working in the City.
Posts: 2,912
                     
Quote:
Originally Posted by kantowrestler View Post
I beg to differ, the UFC heavyweight division right now is anything but weak. Back when Sylvia was champion he took it from Ricco Rodriguez (touch and go heavyweight)
Not when Sylvia and him fought...he was on an 11 win fight streak. After that loss he fell from grace.

Quote:
then defended it again Gan McGee (never any good),
Four fight win streak and so he got a shot.
Quote:
lost to Frank Mir,
A very formidable submission guy
Quote:
had the trilogy with Arlovski,
Decent HW at the time
Quote:
defended against Monson,
-stinker never understood that match up
Quote:
then lost it to the Great Randy Couture.
Great might be a stretch but Randy is a great fighter who gameplans with the best of them. No shame in losing to him.
Quote:
Right now the heavyweight division has Champion JDS, Cain,
Agreed
Quote:
Shane Carwin (recovering from an injury),
I don't think he is that great a HW. Also hasn't fought in two years so I wouldn't include him in the current roster.
Quote:
Overeem (suspended),
Really don't understand the Reem love most of recent wins are in kick boxing and when he fought Werdum he was getting beat in the striking dept. and if Werdum had stopped flopping to his but he probably would have won that match.
Quote:
Big Nog,
I think he is a brokedown HW in the twilight of his career. He has seven fight in the UFC and has lost 3 of those and was getting his ass handed to him by Syliva before the choke.

Quote:
Roy Nelson, list goes on with good fighters.
I like Roy I really do and against not top ten competition he looks great but against top 10 guys like Mir, JDS, Werdum he is a punching bag for them.

IcemanCometh is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #22 of 40 (permalink) Old 06-22-2012, 12:44 PM
MMA Fanatic
 
BamaNasty's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: The Burg
Posts: 60
                     
There is only one thing I see happening with this...

Dana White gives Sylvia his one fight and

A. he gets smashed by a top 5 HW in the UFC and runs out of the octagon with his tail between his legs or:

B. he gets smashed by a UFC HW CAN! andddd runs out of the octagon with his tail between his legs.

The UFC HW division has evolved lightyears since Tim Sylvia was "on top"...and I dont see him doing anything in the UFC if he decides to make a comeback. He isnt even close to a gatekeeper in my opinion.
BamaNasty is offline  
post #23 of 40 (permalink) Old 06-22-2012, 02:24 PM
Cry Havoc
 
IcemanCometh's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Working in the City.
Posts: 2,912
                     
The HW division hasn't evolved that much. The HW is the same division it was ten years ago. Tim would do fine I would love to see a rematch with Mir.

IcemanCometh is offline  
post #24 of 40 (permalink) Old 06-22-2012, 02:46 PM
MMA Fanatic
 
BamaNasty's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: The Burg
Posts: 60
                     
Quote:
Originally Posted by IcemanCometh View Post
The HW division hasn't evolved that much. The HW is the same division it was ten years ago. Tim would do fine I would love to see a rematch with Mir.
BASED ON WHAT!?!?!?

How hasn't the HW division evolved? Back in Tim's "prime" Andrei Arlovski was running that division...where is he now?

IDK man. I see any of the top HW in the UFC destroying Big Tim...maybe Im wrong but I dont really think so here.
BamaNasty is offline  
post #25 of 40 (permalink) Old 06-22-2012, 02:49 PM
Cry Havoc
 
IcemanCometh's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Working in the City.
Posts: 2,912
                     
Quote:
Originally Posted by BamaNasty View Post
BASED ON WHAT!?!?!?

How hasn't the HW division evolved? Back in Tim's "prime" Andrei Arlovski was running that division...where is he now?

IDK man. I see any of the top HW in the UFC destroying Big Tim...maybe Im wrong but I dont really think so here.
Buy your logic then the LHW hasn't evolved because Chuck's chin declined just like AA's. We still see fights at HW being slug fests more than we see grappling matches or wrestling clincs. It hasn't evolved that much. What makes you think Tim would get destroyed? He is 7-1 in his last eight fights.

IcemanCometh is offline  
post #26 of 40 (permalink) Old 06-22-2012, 02:55 PM
MMA Fanatic
 
BamaNasty's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: The Burg
Posts: 60
                     
Quote:
Originally Posted by IcemanCometh View Post
Buy your logic then the LHW hasn't evolved because Chuck's chin declined just like AA's. We still see fights at HW being slug fests more than we see grappling matches or wrestling clincs. It hasn't evolved that much. What makes you think Tim would get destroyed? He is 7-1 in his last eight fights.
Actually by the logic I used for big Tim the LHW division HAS evolved...lol for the same reason the HW division has..New talent, exposed champions weaknesses, more athleticism than before.. Big Tim wouldnt stand a chance just like Chuck had no chance once the Pride fighters merged with the UFC..

And he is 7-1 in his last eight fights...against? he got merked in 30 seconds by Abe Wagner? Who the f is that?

Cmon man, really. Stop being biased.

P.S. In no way am i trying to be an ahole towards you, I am just stating my opinion..I respect yours and I hope you can respect mine as well. The Iceman is my favorite fighter just like yours! lol

Last edited by BamaNasty; 06-22-2012 at 03:04 PM.
BamaNasty is offline  
post #27 of 40 (permalink) Old 06-22-2012, 03:07 PM
Cry Havoc
 
IcemanCometh's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Working in the City.
Posts: 2,912
                     
Quote:
Originally Posted by BamaNasty View Post
Actually by the logic I used for big Tim the LHW division HAS evolved...lol for the same reason the HW division has..New talent, exposed champions weaknesses, more athleticism than before.. Big Tim wouldnt stand a chance just like Chuck had no chance once the Pride fighters merged with the UFC..

And he is 7-1 in his last eight fights...against? he got merked in 30 seconds by Abe Wagner? Who the f is that?

Cmon man, really. Stop being biased.
The HW isn't more athletic, no champions been exposed becuase no one has held onto the belt long enough to be exposed. Tim would hold his own he does have a 38-7 record and has been fighting for over ten years. Also on another point how many Pride guys beat Chuck-two, wow.

IcemanCometh is offline  
post #28 of 40 (permalink) Old 06-22-2012, 06:41 PM
The Title Guy
 
kantowrestler's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Orange, California
Posts: 12,984
                     
I disagree on the more athletic part of the UFC heavyweight division. Cain, JDS, Shane, Frank Mir now, and Pat Berry, Brendan Schaub, and many others are athletic fighters. Sylvia is by no means an athletic heavyweight.

The Emoticon Guy
kantowrestler is offline  
post #29 of 40 (permalink) Old 06-23-2012, 07:51 AM
MMA Fanatic
 
BamaNasty's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: The Burg
Posts: 60
                     
Quote:
Originally Posted by kantowrestler View Post
I disagree on the more athletic part of the UFC heavyweight division. Cain, JDS, Shane, Frank Mir now, and Pat Berry, Brendan Schaub, and many others are athletic fighters. Sylvia is by no means an athletic heavyweight.
This is precisely what I was trying to say..
BamaNasty is offline  
post #30 of 40 (permalink) Old 06-23-2012, 08:29 PM
The Title Guy
 
kantowrestler's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Orange, California
Posts: 12,984
                     
Yeah, all he does is stand and trade with fighters and can barely wrestle. You look at all the fighters he won against before his fight with Couture and they were all undersized heavyweights or not athletic. Even with his two looses before Couture you look at them and it's: Frank Mir (submission), Arlovski(submission), Couture (athletic legend), Big Nog (submission), Fedor (still top ranked at the time), Ray Mercer (world level boxer), and Abe Wagner (athletic).

The Emoticon Guy
kantowrestler is offline  
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the MMA Forum - UFC Forums - UFC Results - MMA Videos forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in









Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.




Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Display Modes
Linear Mode Linear Mode



Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome