Josh Thomson Discusses Strikeforce Cancellation, Offers To Step In For Melendez - MMA Forum - UFC Forums - UFC Results - MMA Videos
General MMA Discussion Discuss King Of The Cage, Ultimate Challenge UK, and HDNet Fights as well as general mixed martial arts discussion.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old 09-24-2012, 02:41 PM Thread Starter
Rauno's Avatar
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Estonia
Posts: 17,452
Josh Thomson Discusses Strikeforce Cancellation, Offers To Step In For Melendez


magine having just finished a great training camp. It's two days past your birthday, and fight week is just six days away. You've just settled in for your weekly dose of Boardwalk Empire when your phone rings. Who could be calling this late on a Sunday night? It's almost 10 pm. Everybody knows I need my rest this week more than any other. Oh, hey, I recognize that number. It's my manager, Crazy Bob Cook. I better get that...

This is a pretty accurate scenario for Josh Thomson last night when he received the news that the Strikeforce card he was to be featured on this coming Saturday night had been cancelled. Was it Zuffa or was it Showtime that made the executive decision? I'm going to go with a combination of the two. The point is, the card was canceled, and as of right now, there has been no offer to pay out "show" purses, nor is there any discussion of placement on another card or rescheduling the card. That's not to say it won't happen. It just hasn't happened yet. I interviewed Thomson just a few minutes ago to get the details on how this whole debacle happened, and here's what he had to say:

I was just sitting there watching some TV, when I got the call. It was around 10 o'clock, and I got a call from my manager saying the show was going to be canceled. There's not much you can do about it. When I talked to my manage, I told him, 'Throw out every option.

As someone who knows about being injured, I realize that's part of the sport, but I think canceling the event was extreme. When I was injured, they offered Gil an interim title. I know I've only been training for three rounds, but I'll step up and fight Pat Healy for five rounds. He deserves his title shot. He shouldn't be put on the back burner. He put in his camp time, and everything like that, too. I've trained with Healy. I've fought him. He's a great guy, and my heart goes out to him. He's trained hard for 8-10 weeks.

A lot of these guys haven't been around as long as me. They're working their way up. This is an opportunity for them to put food on the table for their families.To cancel the event, it just sucks. I offered them everything I could. I offered a three round fight, if they didn't want to do an interim title, and I offered to step up for a five round fight. I just wanted to whatever I could to possibly keep the card alive, but Showtime had already made their decision.

I know Jorge Masvidal has been in a full training camp, just in case somebody from the card got injured. There were options here. They could have moved me up and set Masvidal against Caros Fodor. Dana White was just talking about this. He said if you're going to be on a professional level and getting paid, you need to be training all the time. Masvidal made it very clear that he was ready. Him and Fodor would have made a great fight. It would have been very impressive. Given that I've beaten Healy in the past, it also adds a little bit of history to it. It's a tough pill to swallow for all the fighters on the card.

When it comes down to fight purses, this is every fighter's nightmare, even if it's the UFC, which typically pays out show money purses in the event of a fight cancellation. With smaller organizations, and even the Zuffa owned Strikeforce, the options aren't set in stone, and as of now, no offer has been made for financial compensation.

Nothing has been offered. Like I said, it was 10 o' clock at night. My manger was still getting all the full details of the situation. My job is to go to the gym and train. I let my manager take care of everything else. I don't really know what the deal is. Hopefully we find out more today.

For the other fighters that don't make what I make, it would be nice to see them compensated something to help them pay their bills or get through this. I know that once a fighter gets closer to the fight, towards the end of the camp, and I catch myself doing it all the time, the week before the fight, you go out and buy something. A piece of furniture, maybe you fix your car. For most fighters I know, they buy a bunch of groceries. I used to that all the time, but now, I've gotten to where I wait to spend anything until the fight happens [laughs]. The fact that the event was canceled after the last Friday leading in to it, means that every fighter pretty much shut their camp down. Right now, we're just trying to get all the details so we can go from there.

I wouldn't mind. Maybe making a statement for a 4th fight against Gil in the future? I think i remember feeling that he won the last fight..

Rauno is offline  
Sponsored Links
post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old 09-24-2012, 03:32 PM
Lick My Frosting
CupCake's Avatar
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Milton Keynes, UK
Posts: 9,031
Blog Entries: 13
Man itsa not like the SF roster get much chance to fight/earn money on a regular basis. For the younger fighters this could be financially devastating. I sure hope they at least get their fight pay...not like these guys get the best of sponsors as it is!

CupCake is offline  
post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old 09-24-2012, 03:53 PM
Toxic's Avatar
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: See that guy over in the window, with the binoculars?
Posts: 21,821
Showtime just killed SF because nobody is signing with them after this and the fighters they do have will be looking for the door.

"If you get hit and it hurts hit him back you not knocked out yet."-Joe Doerksen
The Toxic Terrors (FFL)
Demetrious Johnson*Eduardo Dantas*Emanuel Newton*Will Brooks*Michael Page

Toxic is offline  
post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old 09-26-2012, 11:57 PM
The Title Guy
kantowrestler's Avatar
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Orange, California
Posts: 11,943
Showtime is keeping the deal because the Zuffa leadership wants to keep it. But we all know that Dana White is keeping Strikeforce to cock block any promotion from getting on Showtime. You know Showtime would do that because they want to keep in the MMA game.

The Emoticon Guy
kantowrestler is offline  

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the MMA Forum - UFC Forums - UFC Results - MMA Videos forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:


Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Display Modes
Linear Mode Linear Mode

Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are On

For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome