MMA Forum - UFC Forums - UFC Results - MMA Videos (http://www.mmaforum.com/forumindex.php)
- General MMA Discussion (http://www.mmaforum.com/general-mma-discussion/)
- - Power Ranking Strikeforce Fighters' UFC Potential (http://www.mmaforum.com/general-mma-discussion/105884-power-ranking-strikeforce-fighters-ufc-potential.html)
Power Ranking Strikeforce Fighters' UFC Potential
This is just their top 10 list. Now add Kyle, OSP, Gracie, Woodley, Thomson, Healy and Masvidal there and you got something. In fact, Noons doesn't deserve to be on the list when Masvidal and Thomson both beat him.
IMO here is how I value the fighters. I'll start from 1 and work to 10.
1.Gilbert Melendez- he is the only SF fighter(male fighter) right now that has any claim to #1 in the World at his weight class. He has been in position for to challenge for the top spot for years now.
2.Mousasi- The UFC needs contenders for Bones. Mousasi is as big a challenge IMO as anyone at LHW that hasn't already fought Jones. He is still fairly young but very experienced at the same time.
3.Cormier- He is one win away from challenging for the UFC title. IMO he is a bigger threat to JDS then Cain. I consider him to be a top 3 HW right now.
4.Luck Rockhold- I think he is legit. I wouldn't mind seeing Rockhold vs Bisping just to see if Luke is ready for a shot at Anderson. Weidman would have been another good matchup.
5.Jacare- He is a great athlete that is improving on the feet and has the kind of ground game to threaten anyone. IMO he is just as dangerous as anyone at MW for Anderson Silva.
6.Feijao- More fresh blood at the top of the LHW division. He has great finishing ability and he even had Hendo hurt in that fight. I wouldn't mind seeing him vs the UFC elites.
7.Nate Marquardt- He had a long layoff and is lucky he even got the opportunity to fight for SF title right away. I don't think he deserves to be in the mix right now. I would like him to fight someone like Kos. He deserves a tough matchup for his past behavior.
8. Tim Kennedy- He is a tough fighter that will give just about anyone problems. I wouldn't mind seeing how he does vs someone like Okami or even Munoz.
9.Roger Gracie- He could add more depth at MW, he has the Gracie name to get the casual fans attention. He seems to be improving. Give him someone like Herman or Ring to start out and see how he does.
10.Josh Thompson- I just like him slightly more then Larkin for my last spot. A tough, veteran fighter that can come in and compete with guys like Jim Miller and Gray Maynard right away. LW is deep but Thompson can compete with most of the top LW in the UFC IMO.
Honorable Mentions: Larkin,Masvidal,Healy,Noons,Woodley.
1. Luke Rockhold - He may not be the best fighter coming over but he's competing in one of the lighter divisions and he matches up well against anyone. I expect him not only to get a title shot but to also be relevant for years to come.
2. Nate Marquardt - Kind of a cheat but the guys been given a gift from god with his second chance. While Nate may have choked at 185 at 170 he should have better luck and having defeated Nate Woodley he should manage to hold his own with the wrestlers at 170. Irony of Ironies we could see Maia/Marquardt in a title eliminator very soon.
3. Daniel Cormier - While I consider him to be a huge prospect he's a big long in the tooth with some kidney issues. I don't know if he has the same long term quality to his career like Rockhold and Marquardt.
4. Roger Gracie - God would the UFC love a Gracie in the UFC not only that but by competing at MW he far less likely to get KO'd.
5. Jacare Souza - Another MW, if you can't tell I think that division will get a massive shot in the ass with talent.
6. Feijao - I think of all 205ers that could jump over the only one who I think could make five years in the division is Feijao. He may never reach a title fight but I think it will be very hard to see him lose two fights in a row
7. Gilbert Melendez - The issue is "UFC Potential" is Gilbert Melendez the best fighter coming into the UFC from Strikeforce...yes. The problem is he's entering a division where every fight is going to be a killer for him. He's going to have the hardest fights to win, and he doesn't have the finishing ability to give him that immediate title shot.
8. Jorge Masvidal - I think as long as he doesn't have to fight for five rounds and he knows those bonus checks are coming in the mail I jorge could be a fan favorite.
9. Josh Barnett - The only person that will take Barnett out of the UFC is Barnett. I expect a top ten spot a perennial contender-ship and then a boot for doing something stupid.
10. Gregard Mousassi - Unless he hits 185 he's got two chances of surviving in the UFC LHW division slim and none. I expect a Gilbert Yvel run from him 0-3 with 3 decision losses.
|All times are GMT -4. The time now is 01:07 AM.|
Powered by vBulletin Version 3.8.7 , Copyright ©2000 - 2016, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
User Alert System provided by Advanced User Tagging (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2016 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.