MMA Forum - UFC Forums - UFC Results - MMA Videos

MMA Forum - UFC Forums - UFC Results - MMA Videos (http://www.mmaforum.com/)
-   General MMA Discussion (http://www.mmaforum.com/general-mma-discussion/)
-   -   Transgender fighter Fallon Fox's MMA license under review (http://www.mmaforum.com/general-mma-discussion/120746-transgender-fighter-fallon-foxs-mma-license-under-review.html)

OU 03-06-2013 10:33 AM

Transgender fighter Fallon Fox's MMA license under review
 
Quote:

A female transgender MMA fighter is under investigation by the Florida State Boxing Commission.

"Our department is currently investigating allegations pertaining to the information provided on the application," said Sandi Copes Poreda, a spokeswoman for the commission, which licensed Fallon Fox to fight as a woman.

SI.com reported Monday that Fox, 37, had gender reassignment surgery in 2006 along with supplemental hormonal therapy.

Fox on Saturday knocked out a woman in 39 seconds in a fight in Coral Cables, Fla. As an amateur and a professional, Fox holds a 5-0 record, with all five wins coming in the first round.

On her fight license application, which was obtained by MMAjunkie.com (www.mmajunkie.com), Fox said she had been licensed by the California State Athletic Commission, which likely helped procure a license in Florida. The California commission, however, said Fox's license, which was submitted in February and included medical documentation, was under review and not approved.

The Florida commission confirmed that Fox received a pregnancy test per commission rules but was not drug tested. Executive director Andy Foster said the California commission was in the process of changing its forms to eliminate confusion over a receipt (which reflects a $60 licensing fee) that he thought was interpreted by Fallon as a license. Fox told MMAjunkie.com that she didn't knowingly misrepresent herself to the Florida commission and thought she had been approved by California.

Fox's next bout, which was scheduled for April 20 as part of semifinals in an eight-woman tournament at 145 pounds, is on hold as her promoter, Championship Fighting Alliance, has canceled the event in a show of support.

"We stand 120,000 percent behind Fallon," Championship Fighting Alliance CEO Jorge De La Nova said. "She's a female. She's a very sweet girl. There's a lot of money on the line for her, and she's performed very well. We're going to give her a couple of weeks to see how this thing turns out."
http://www.mmajunkie.com/news/2013/0...e-under-review

locnott 03-06-2013 10:59 AM

I dont think its the same as being born a female, they were a man until 2006 and got snipped, they spent at least 30 years being, developing growing as a man, I think there is a big disadvantage to the natural women..IMO.

Killz 03-06-2013 11:07 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by locnott (Post 1877682)
I dont think its the same as being born a female, they were a man until 2006 and got snipped, they spent at least 30 years being, developing growing as a man, I think there is a big disadvantage to the natural women..IMO.

Agreed. Im all for people doing what ever makes them happy in life but A dude, who is now a woman, fighting other women, is not fair IMO.

Life B Ez 03-06-2013 11:11 AM

120,000%......Jesus that's a lot.

Sent from Verticalsports.com Free App

OU 03-06-2013 11:16 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Killz (Post 1877698)
Agreed. Im all for people doing what ever makes them happy in life but A dude, who is now a woman, fighting other women, is not fair IMO.

Yeah I figured this would spark a debate. With WMMA on the rise I figured we would have a case like this sooner or later. I wonder what her testosterone levels are compared to the average woman?

Killz 03-06-2013 11:48 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by OU (Post 1877754)
Yeah I figured this would spark a debate. With WMMA on the rise I figured we would have a case like this sooner or later. I wonder what her testosterone levels are compared to the average woman?

Even iof they are in line with other womens, the fact that she used to be a man means she will have the frame and muscular DNA of a man. A 145lb man will 9 times out of 10 be stronger than a 145lb woman and no amount of hormonal therapy will stop that.

OU 03-06-2013 11:53 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Killz (Post 1877922)
Even iof they are in line with other womens, the fact that she used to be a man means she will have the frame and muscular DNA of a man. A 145lb man will 9 times out of 10 be stronger than a 145lb woman and no amount of hormonal therapy will stop that.

I wonder how her levels compare to Cyborg? I bet they are lower, she is weaker and she would get mauled by Cyborg lol

No but seriously I think it's pretty interesting. Obviously she couldn't compete in men's MMA. Do you guys remember this same kind of thing with a sprinter not too long ago? This seems to be a very similar issue.
http://bleacherreport.com/articles/1...rethink-gender

Stun Gun 03-06-2013 12:13 PM

this will spark a debate for sure with certain members.

OU 03-06-2013 12:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Stun Gun (Post 1877954)
this will spark a debate for sure with certain members.

I think there is room here for a debate. But obviously it could get ugly pretty quickly. It's been a subject of debate in other sports, like the sprinter I mentioned. But with MMA being all about physical contact I can't imagine a transgendered woman getting cleared to fight in WMMA. I don't the UFC is ready to even discuss this kind of issue. I'm sure Dana wouldn't touch this with a 10 foot pole right now.

MMA-Sportsman 03-06-2013 12:24 PM

Luckly Dana and the Fertitas have already plans to introduce TMMA, so these confusion will soon be over.


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 05:30 AM.

Powered by vBulletin Version 3.6.8 , Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
SEO by vBSEO 3.3.2