Boxers.....bring it on! - Page 2 - MMA Forum - UFC Forums - UFC Results - MMA Videos
General MMA Discussion Discuss King Of The Cage, Ultimate Challenge UK, and HDNet Fights as well as general mixed martial arts discussion.

Reply

Old 05-19-2007, 04:49 PM   #11 (permalink)
MMA fighter
 
kamikaze145's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: West Carrollton, Ohio
Posts: 2,575
Blog Entries: 7
kamikaze145 Is A Pound 4 Pound Greatkamikaze145 Is A Pound 4 Pound Greatkamikaze145 Is A Pound 4 Pound Greatkamikaze145 Is A Pound 4 Pound Greatkamikaze145 Is A Pound 4 Pound Greatkamikaze145 Is A Pound 4 Pound Greatkamikaze145 Is A Pound 4 Pound Greatkamikaze145 Is A Pound 4 Pound Greatkamikaze145 Is A Pound 4 Pound Greatkamikaze145 Is A Pound 4 Pound Greatkamikaze145 Is A Pound 4 Pound Great
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deadpool
Totally true. This goes for all sports without exception. It's like Michael Jordan saying "well i'm an amazing basketball player so i'll be an amazing baseball player". It just doesn't work that way. It's idiotic for any boxer to challenge an MMA practitioner to step into a boxing ring just as it's idiotic for any boxer to step into an MMA ring. They are speaking of two completely different sports and each has merits as well as cons. Sure they are combat sports but we're comparing apples and oranges here it doesn't matter if they are both fruits they just will never be the same.

On another note, pay does not indicate worth as clearly evident with the salaries the teachers of the world receive in comparison to our entertainers. That's a terrible argument.
I agree that boxing and mma are different and the pros usually cant compete with each other but the interesting thing is that it is not boxers challenging mixed martial artists to boxing or mixed martial artists challenging boxers to MMA, it seems like boxers want to step in the cage with MMAists. That is kind of weird to me but I would love to see it, especially if there is some cross training involved
kamikaze145 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 

Old 05-19-2007, 04:53 PM   #12 (permalink)
Flyweight
 
Deadpool's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Kent, Ohio
Posts: 402
Deadpool is on a distinguished roadDeadpool is on a distinguished roadDeadpool is on a distinguished roadDeadpool is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by kamikaze145
I agree that boxing and mma are different and the pros usually cant compete with each other but the interesting thing is that it is not boxers challenging mixed martial artists to boxing or mixed martial artists challenging boxers to MMA, it seems like boxers want to step in the cage with MMAists. That is kind of weird to me but I would love to see it, especially if there is some cross training involved
It's just the most simple route to justify their "superiority" if you can take them down in their own sport then the argument is destroyed. Such a terrible argument lol.
Deadpool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2007, 05:06 PM   #13 (permalink)
MMA fighter
 
kamikaze145's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: West Carrollton, Ohio
Posts: 2,575
Blog Entries: 7
kamikaze145 Is A Pound 4 Pound Greatkamikaze145 Is A Pound 4 Pound Greatkamikaze145 Is A Pound 4 Pound Greatkamikaze145 Is A Pound 4 Pound Greatkamikaze145 Is A Pound 4 Pound Greatkamikaze145 Is A Pound 4 Pound Greatkamikaze145 Is A Pound 4 Pound Greatkamikaze145 Is A Pound 4 Pound Greatkamikaze145 Is A Pound 4 Pound Greatkamikaze145 Is A Pound 4 Pound Greatkamikaze145 Is A Pound 4 Pound Great
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deadpool
It's just the most simple route to justify their "superiority" if you can take them down in their own sport then the argument is destroyed. Such a terrible argument lol.
Yea, that makes sense. I guess they wouldnt sound so hard if they challenged someone to a boxing match, lol
kamikaze145 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2007, 05:18 PM   #14 (permalink)
True Grappler
 
IronMan's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: New York City, New York
Posts: 6,225
IronMan Is A BallerIronMan Is A BallerIronMan Is A BallerIronMan Is A BallerIronMan Is A BallerIronMan Is A BallerIronMan Is A BallerIronMan Is A BallerIronMan Is A BallerIronMan Is A BallerIronMan Is A Baller
If Mayweather wants to cross over, he doesn't even need to fight someone as high a caliber as Sherk. There are a half-dozen 155 pounders I train with who could tap his ass out faster that Lauzon KO'd Pulver.

I'm not saying that to be cocky, but let's face it, he's not used to the angle that a wrestler is going to take when he changes levels, he's not used to the uninhibited aggressiveness of someone who's only goal is to take him down and he doesn't know anything about positions or submissions.

There Butterbean reference is interesting because, like you said, Bean wasn't a great boxer, but he's a good fighter. All you guys who are smashing him, shut up, he's not even really a boxer anymore. After Minowa submitted him, he started learning submissions so he could avoid getting tapped out and it's working.

De La Hoya's paycheck was impressive, but the amount of money that he got paid wasn't really deserved. He made most of that money because he's Oscar De La Hoya, not because he's a great boxer. I think De La Hoya's a great fighter, but the performance was disappointing. UFC guys get paid to make fights entertaining. If they don't, they don't come back.

I disagree with someone who thinks that any boxer is a bad matchup for Chuck, because I think that, as far as MMA goes, Chuck uses his weapons way more effectively than any boxer does and his wrestling is a lot better too.

I hope that Cintron does fight the winner of Sherk v Franca, but it will be a sad matchup for him. Sherk will TKO his in the first and Franca will Submit him in the first. You can say that he'll spend alot of time drilling his takedown defense, that's fine, but Sherk is pound for pound the best wrestler in the sport, in my opinion, and Franca is a BJJ Blackbelt with good takedowns, creative position work and heavy hands, standing and on the floor. That's a bad matchup for any boxer.
__________________


Sig by Toxic

Barnett - Toquinho -Werdum - "Nurmie"
Z. Gurgel - Morango - Rocha - Tiequan
IronMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2007, 06:18 AM   #15 (permalink)
MMA Fanatic
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Posts: 38
Geves has a little shameless behaviour in the past
Quote:
Originally Posted by IronMan
If Mayweather wants to cross over, he doesn't even need to fight someone as high a caliber as Sherk. There are a half-dozen 155 pounders I train with who could tap his ass out faster that Lauzon KO'd Pulver.

I'm not saying that to be cocky, but let's face it, he's not used to the angle that a wrestler is going to take when he changes levels, he's not used to the uninhibited aggressiveness of someone who's only goal is to take him down and he doesn't know anything about positions or submissions.

There Butterbean reference is interesting because, like you said, Bean wasn't a great boxer, but he's a good fighter. All you guys who are smashing him, shut up, he's not even really a boxer anymore. After Minowa submitted him, he started learning submissions so he could avoid getting tapped out and it's working.

De La Hoya's paycheck was impressive, but the amount of money that he got paid wasn't really deserved. He made most of that money because he's Oscar De La Hoya, not because he's a great boxer. I think De La Hoya's a great fighter, but the performance was disappointing. UFC guys get paid to make fights entertaining. If they don't, they don't come back.

I disagree with someone who thinks that any boxer is a bad matchup for Chuck, because I think that, as far as MMA goes, Chuck uses his weapons way more effectively than any boxer does and his wrestling is a lot better too.

I hope that Cintron does fight the winner of Sherk v Franca, but it will be a sad matchup for him. Sherk will TKO his in the first and Franca will Submit him in the first. You can say that he'll spend alot of time drilling his takedown defense, that's fine, but Sherk is pound for pound the best wrestler in the sport, in my opinion, and Franca is a BJJ Blackbelt with good takedowns, creative position work and heavy hands, standing and on the floor. That's a bad matchup for any boxer.
I'd have to take you up on a few of those comments bro.

The main one being De La Hoya not deserving the paycheck. Yeah he made the money because he's a HUGE name, almost household wide. De La Hoya deserves the money, i can't in recent memory remember the last time he slouched and fought a "can". Not to mention the fact that boxing by nature is a more vicious sport, by that I mean that they get punched in the head 400+ times a match, their gloves are designed so fighters get punched more. Now MMA fighters I believe deserve bigger paydays than they are getting. But half of the fight is the other fighter, you want an exciting fight? You try to match up styles... The boxing higher ups cleared this fight for the draw, not for a style/style interest. Look at Koscheck/Sanchez, great fight on the draw, not so great when it happened. THAT was a fight where Sanchez dropped the ball. De La Hoya was trying, to take away his money for a lack of a performance is bullshit. The "bad fight" is on Mayweathers hands...DLH was trying to end it.

I agree with pretty much everything else you said though. Cintron is F'd, unless he trains his ass off. I'd take any MMA fighter over him. I'm not one to say grappling is everything and a striker doesn't stand a chance. But Boxing is quite Overrated in it's striking based on it's rule set.

I hope Cintron gets put in the hospital for his lack of respect.
Geves is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2007, 10:01 PM   #16 (permalink)
Flyweight
 
theboz19's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Posts: 295
theboz19 Needs A Hugtheboz19 Needs A Hugtheboz19 Needs A Hugtheboz19 Needs A Hugtheboz19 Needs A Hugtheboz19 Needs A Hugtheboz19 Needs A Hugtheboz19 Needs A Hugtheboz19 Needs A Hug
It does generate a lot of interest. If MMA can lure some really aggressive strikers it would be great for the sport. It is probably better for us as fans that Mayweather never enter an octagon because we would buy the PPV and then be disappointed when Mayweather just runs away for 3 rounds.

This weekend one of the guys that I box with, George Bush (yes, that's his real name) took on a Gracie trained BJJ champion by the name of Vinicius Malgahaes in the Gracie Fighting Championships (similar to UFC). George was able to keep the fight standing for the most part and won a unanimous decision.

There seems to be a shift in MMA. Instead of the BJJ and G and P that used to own, fighters are beginning to adapt the "Iceman" style of takedown defense and striking.
__________________
THEBOZ

"DULCE ET DECORUM EST PRO PATRIA MORI"
theboz19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2007, 10:37 PM   #17 (permalink)
Bantamweight
 
ESPADA9's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Temecula, California
Posts: 926
ESPADA9 has a brilliant futureESPADA9 has a brilliant futureESPADA9 has a brilliant futureESPADA9 has a brilliant futureESPADA9 has a brilliant futureESPADA9 has a brilliant futureESPADA9 has a brilliant futureESPADA9 has a brilliant futureESPADA9 has a brilliant futureESPADA9 has a brilliant futureESPADA9 has a brilliant future
Quote:
Originally Posted by theboz19
It does generate a lot of interest. If MMA can lure some really aggressive strikers it would be great for the sport. It is probably better for us as fans that Mayweather never enter an octagon because we would buy the PPV and then be disappointed when Mayweather just runs away for 3 rounds.

This weekend one of the guys that I box with, George Bush (yes, that's his real name) took on a Gracie trained BJJ champion by the name of Vinicius Malgahaes in the Gracie Fighting Championships (similar to UFC). George was able to keep the fight standing for the most part and won a unanimous decision.

There seems to be a shift in MMA. Instead of the BJJ and G and P that used to own, fighters are beginning to adapt the "Iceman" style of takedown defense and striking.
If I wanted my game to revolve around striking I may do some boxing to learn the fundamentals but I recommend Muay Thai to learn how to be an EFECTIVE striker (making the strikes count towards doing real damage). Boxing alone does not translate well into MMA (IMHO).
ESPADA9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2007, 01:20 AM   #18 (permalink)
Featherweight
 
capt_america's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Posts: 1,414
capt_america will become famous soon enoughcapt_america will become famous soon enoughcapt_america will become famous soon enoughcapt_america will become famous soon enoughcapt_america will become famous soon enoughcapt_america will become famous soon enoughcapt_america will become famous soon enoughcapt_america will become famous soon enoughcapt_america will become famous soon enoughcapt_america will become famous soon enoughcapt_america will become famous soon enough
if theres one boxer i love to be in the MMA , it would be PACMAN.. if he can learn some takedown defense and JJ..maybe hell do better in MMA.. but i think hes too small..
__________________
Rooting for..
HW - Brandon Vera
LHW - Lyoto Machida
MW - Martin Kampmann
WW - John Fitch
LW - Clay Guida
capt_america is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2007, 02:47 AM   #19 (permalink)
Banned
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Houston, texas
Posts: 358
the real hitman has a little shameless behaviour in the past
lol if mayweather was losing really badely i bet big john mcaurthy would stop it late
the real hitman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2007, 03:06 AM   #20 (permalink)
Featherweight
 
capt_america's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Posts: 1,414
capt_america will become famous soon enoughcapt_america will become famous soon enoughcapt_america will become famous soon enoughcapt_america will become famous soon enoughcapt_america will become famous soon enoughcapt_america will become famous soon enoughcapt_america will become famous soon enoughcapt_america will become famous soon enoughcapt_america will become famous soon enoughcapt_america will become famous soon enoughcapt_america will become famous soon enough
big john will enjoy seing sherk or any MMA guys beating floyds ass..lol
__________________
Rooting for..
HW - Brandon Vera
LHW - Lyoto Machida
MW - Martin Kampmann
WW - John Fitch
LW - Clay Guida
capt_america is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply



Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are On

VerticalSports
Baseball Forum Golf Forum Boxing Forum Snowmobile Forum
Basketball Forum Soccer Forum MMA Forum PWC Forum
Football Forum Cricket Forum Wrestling Forum ATV Forum
Hockey Forum Volleyball Forum Paintball Forum Snowboarding Forum
Tennis Forum Rugby Forums Lacrosse Forum Skiing Forums
Copyright (C) Verticalscope Inc SEO by vBSEO 3.3.2
Powered by vBulletin Copyright © 2000-2009 Jelsoft Enterprises Limited.
vBCredits v1.4 Copyright ©2007, PixelFX Studios