I don't get it. Pankration and forms of martial arts full contact fighting have been around for literally THOUSANDS of years and it seems like only because the United States is just now accepting it as a mainstream sport people seem to think that its new, or won't be around for long.
I also don't think boxing is the second most popular sport in the world.
1) Soccer. 3.3-3.5 Billion Fans. (Europe, Africa, Americas,etc)
2) Cricket 3-3.3 Billion Fans. (India,U.K,Pakistan,Asia,Australia,etc)
3) Field Hockey. 2-2.2 Bilion Fans. (Asia, Europe, Africa, Australia)
4) Tennis. Around 1 Billion Fans. (Europe, Americas, Asia) 5) Volleyball Around 900 Million Fans. (Asia, Erope, Americas, Australia)
6) Table Tennis Around 900 Million Fans. (Asia, Europe, Africa, Americas)
7) Baseball Around 500 Million Fans. (U.S,Canada, Japan)
8) Golf Around 400 Million Fans. (U.S, Canada, Europe)
9) Football 390-410 Million Fans. (U.S, Canada mainly)
10) Basketball Not more than 400M Fans. (U.S, Canada mainly)