I used to do backyard MMA - Page 2 - MMA Forum - UFC Forums - UFC Results - MMA Videos
General MMA Discussion Discuss King Of The Cage, Ultimate Challenge UK, and HDNet Fights as well as general mixed martial arts discussion.

Reply

Old 02-08-2008, 05:23 PM   #11 (permalink)
Banned
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Posts: 394
jeremy202 Is In Need Of Some Guidancejeremy202 Is In Need Of Some Guidancejeremy202 Is In Need Of Some Guidancejeremy202 Is In Need Of Some Guidancejeremy202 Is In Need Of Some Guidancejeremy202 Is In Need Of Some Guidancejeremy202 Is In Need Of Some Guidancejeremy202 Is In Need Of Some Guidancejeremy202 Is In Need Of Some Guidancejeremy202 Is In Need Of Some Guidancejeremy202 Is In Need Of Some Guidance
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheNegation View Post
I learned a lot more about fighting getting my ass kicked by my 50 pounds heavier farmboy friend when I was about 12-14 than I did in TKD classes, thts for sure.
I was basically the same as you, Boxing gloves, mouthguards, but the only rules were no knees to the head and obviously no dirty fighting.
Man.....we didn't even think of using elbows.
we used to allow knees to the body(we never allowed knees to head) but we decided it was too much of a risk for serious injury(like broken bones).My upper leg took a beating from knees one time, i could hardly walk the day after.
jeremy202 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 

Old 02-08-2008, 05:28 PM   #12 (permalink)
Banned
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Posts: 394
jeremy202 Is In Need Of Some Guidancejeremy202 Is In Need Of Some Guidancejeremy202 Is In Need Of Some Guidancejeremy202 Is In Need Of Some Guidancejeremy202 Is In Need Of Some Guidancejeremy202 Is In Need Of Some Guidancejeremy202 Is In Need Of Some Guidancejeremy202 Is In Need Of Some Guidancejeremy202 Is In Need Of Some Guidancejeremy202 Is In Need Of Some Guidancejeremy202 Is In Need Of Some Guidance
Quote:
Originally Posted by mlsman23 View Post
With 16 oz. gloves? I ould see maybe with some mma heavy bag gloves, but with 16 0. gloves, the guy that is getting choked would have to have no idea what he is doing. Boxing gloves are huge and would get in the way of real grappling.
I dont think the gloves were the full 16 ounce.I dont think they were full sized, because they werent that cumbersome and really didnt get in the way that much
jeremy202 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2008, 05:29 PM   #13 (permalink)
MLS
Banned
 
MLS's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Backseat of the PlazzVan
Posts: 6,472
Blog Entries: 2
MLS MLS MLS MLS MLS MLS MLS MLS MLS MLS MLS
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeremy202 View Post
I dont think the gloves were the full 16 ounce.I dont think they were full sized, because they werent that cumbersome and really didnt get in the way that much
Were they open palm gloves or boxing gloves?
MLS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2008, 05:37 PM   #14 (permalink)
Flyweight
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Posts: 340
MarijuanaSmoker is on a distinguished roadMarijuanaSmoker is on a distinguished roadMarijuanaSmoker is on a distinguished roadMarijuanaSmoker is on a distinguished road
for some reason i think this guy is trying to brag about a lie....?
MarijuanaSmoker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2008, 06:48 PM   #15 (permalink)
Banned
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Posts: 394
jeremy202 Is In Need Of Some Guidancejeremy202 Is In Need Of Some Guidancejeremy202 Is In Need Of Some Guidancejeremy202 Is In Need Of Some Guidancejeremy202 Is In Need Of Some Guidancejeremy202 Is In Need Of Some Guidancejeremy202 Is In Need Of Some Guidancejeremy202 Is In Need Of Some Guidancejeremy202 Is In Need Of Some Guidancejeremy202 Is In Need Of Some Guidancejeremy202 Is In Need Of Some Guidance
Quote:
Originally Posted by MarijuanaSmoker View Post
for some reason i think this guy is trying to brag about a lie....?
No, im not lying actually. If you dont want to believe me, fine, it doesnt affect me, because i KNOW im not lying. Dont try to turn the other users against me.Dont put me down because i did backyard mma and not a traditional school, understand?

Also, yes the gloves were regular gloves, but alot smaller.Theres no way they were the full 16 ounce
jeremy202 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2008, 06:50 PM   #16 (permalink)
Featherweight
 
burton_o6's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: ND
Posts: 1,288
burton_o6 will become famous soon enoughburton_o6 will become famous soon enoughburton_o6 will become famous soon enoughburton_o6 will become famous soon enoughburton_o6 will become famous soon enoughburton_o6 will become famous soon enoughburton_o6 will become famous soon enoughburton_o6 will become famous soon enoughburton_o6 will become famous soon enoughburton_o6 will become famous soon enoughburton_o6 will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by MarijuanaSmoker View Post
for some reason i think this guy is trying to brag about a lie....?
Quick to judge..I think if he were lieing he would have made up somthing far more exciting that Sparring with friends in the back yard. Dont you?
burton_o6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2008, 08:00 PM   #17 (permalink)
True Grappler
 
IronMan's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: New York City, New York
Posts: 6,225
IronMan Is A BallerIronMan Is A BallerIronMan Is A BallerIronMan Is A BallerIronMan Is A BallerIronMan Is A BallerIronMan Is A BallerIronMan Is A BallerIronMan Is A BallerIronMan Is A BallerIronMan Is A Baller
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeremy202 View Post
anyway, i have some questions: Is backyard MMA better than traditional martial arts classes for actual fighting? Because in my time doing that, i actually got pretty good.
I won't give you the backyard MMA is bad lectue, because I'd be a f*cking hypocrit. I used to do it alot and still do it from time to time, when a ring is not available and a guy really wants to go. All I'll say is, if you really f*ck I guy up in the backyard, the legal problems are a serious pain in the ass.

As for your question, I'm going to make my response very clear.

Even as a backyard fighter, I have a solid background in real training, because there's no substitute for training with a master, in any martial art. You can claim to be self-taught, but even Evan Tanner, king of the self taught movement, had instruction via video.

You need a traditional style to really develop former, and it doesn't even need to be oldschool martial arts like Judo. It could just be boxing, but it will definitely make you a much better fighter than just learning how to punch guys in the face on the grass.

A real background is more important than thinking you can beat someone up because you've won some fights in the backyard. And I'm not saying this to sound tough, all I'm saying is that if you've never set foot in a real martial arts gym and trained for a long time, you're not going to have a feel for the technique that even a guy who's only been in BJJ for a year is going to have.

There were plenty of tough guys in the early UFC's and over in Japan. Very few of them were any good. The great traditional martial artists routinely beat them, and continue to do so today.
__________________


Sig by Toxic

Barnett - Toquinho -Werdum - "Nurmie"
Z. Gurgel - Morango - Rocha - Tiequan
IronMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2008, 10:20 PM   #18 (permalink)
Banned
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Posts: 394
jeremy202 Is In Need Of Some Guidancejeremy202 Is In Need Of Some Guidancejeremy202 Is In Need Of Some Guidancejeremy202 Is In Need Of Some Guidancejeremy202 Is In Need Of Some Guidancejeremy202 Is In Need Of Some Guidancejeremy202 Is In Need Of Some Guidancejeremy202 Is In Need Of Some Guidancejeremy202 Is In Need Of Some Guidancejeremy202 Is In Need Of Some Guidancejeremy202 Is In Need Of Some Guidance
Quote:
Originally Posted by IronMan View Post
I won't give you the backyard MMA is bad lectue, because I'd be a f*cking hypocrit. I used to do it alot and still do it from time to time, when a ring is not available and a guy really wants to go. All I'll say is, if you really f*ck I guy up in the backyard, the legal problems are a serious pain in the ass.

As for your question, I'm going to make my response very clear.

Even as a backyard fighter, I have a solid background in real training, because there's no substitute for training with a master, in any martial art. You can claim to be self-taught, but even Evan Tanner, king of the self taught movement, had instruction via video.

You need a traditional style to really develop former, and it doesn't even need to be oldschool martial arts like Judo. It could just be boxing, but it will definitely make you a much better fighter than just learning how to punch guys in the face on the grass.

A real background is more important than thinking you can beat someone up because you've won some fights in the backyard. And I'm not saying this to sound tough, all I'm saying is that if you've never set foot in a real martial arts gym and trained for a long time, you're not going to have a feel for the technique that even a guy who's only been in BJJ for a year is going to have.

There were plenty of tough guys in the early UFC's and over in Japan. Very few of them were any good. The great traditional martial artists routinely beat them, and continue to do so today.
Dont be so quick to judge.Im not self taught at all.My bro used to box(at a boxing gym) and he showed me how to do all the punches and drills.He did wrestling to, and of course he taught me that too. And i'll be the first to admitt that i dont know anything at all about BJJ.
jeremy202 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2008, 11:49 PM   #19 (permalink)
MMA Fanatic
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Florien, Louisiana
Posts: 4
James_Hemphill has a little shameless behaviour in the past
Hey man, I am somewhat self-taughht, but watch ALOT of short videos, that teach well. I just got booked to my first MMA Fight for April 12th, and I tell you, Im working harder than ever with my team of guys (mostly self-trained). Anywho bro Im not discouraging you at all, infact, I am encouraging you. Go for it, work hard, and for Christmas sake, watch some videos bro!
__________________
"The Day You Begin To Die, Is the Day You Stop Caring About Things That Matter." MLK Jr.
James_Hemphill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2008, 12:58 AM   #20 (permalink)
Banned
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Posts: 394
jeremy202 Is In Need Of Some Guidancejeremy202 Is In Need Of Some Guidancejeremy202 Is In Need Of Some Guidancejeremy202 Is In Need Of Some Guidancejeremy202 Is In Need Of Some Guidancejeremy202 Is In Need Of Some Guidancejeremy202 Is In Need Of Some Guidancejeremy202 Is In Need Of Some Guidancejeremy202 Is In Need Of Some Guidancejeremy202 Is In Need Of Some Guidancejeremy202 Is In Need Of Some Guidance
Quote:
Originally Posted by James_Hemphill View Post
Hey man, I am somewhat self-taughht, but watch ALOT of short videos, that teach well. I just got booked to my first MMA Fight for April 12th, and I tell you, Im working harder than ever with my team of guys (mostly self-trained). Anywho bro Im not discouraging you at all, infact, I am encouraging you. Go for it, work hard, and for Christmas sake, watch some videos bro!
Im glad to hear it! i'll be cheering for you man. also, i dont think many people understand that i was talking about the past.I dont do backyard mma anymore(although i really, really wish i still did), im out of shape, and all my muscle turned to fat Its hard for me to stick to specific diet plans and my weights are now on the side of the yard, totally exposed to the weather.Its a long story about why im in the pathetic shape im in right now, and im sure no one wants to hear it.
jeremy202 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply



Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are On

VerticalSports
Baseball Forum Golf Forum Boxing Forum Snowmobile Forum
Basketball Forum Soccer Forum MMA Forum PWC Forum
Football Forum Cricket Forum Wrestling Forum ATV Forum
Hockey Forum Volleyball Forum Paintball Forum Snowboarding Forum
Tennis Forum Rugby Forums Lacrosse Forum Skiing Forums
Copyright (C) Verticalscope Inc SEO by vBSEO 3.3.2
Powered by vBulletin Copyright © 2000-2009 Jelsoft Enterprises Limited.
vBCredits v1.4 Copyright ©2007, PixelFX Studios