ESPN Writer On Kimbo:"A runaway slave with a mouth full of gold teeth." - Page 3 - MMA Forum - UFC Forums - UFC Results - MMA Videos
General MMA Discussion Discuss King Of The Cage, Ultimate Challenge UK, and HDNet Fights as well as general mixed martial arts discussion.

Reply

Old 05-04-2008, 02:16 PM   #21 (permalink)
I Finish Threads
 
HexRei's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Portland, OR
Posts: 8,315
HexRei Is Beloved By AllHexRei Is Beloved By AllHexRei Is Beloved By AllHexRei Is Beloved By AllHexRei Is Beloved By AllHexRei Is Beloved By AllHexRei Is Beloved By AllHexRei Is Beloved By AllHexRei Is Beloved By AllHexRei Is Beloved By AllHexRei Is Beloved By All
Quote:
Originally Posted by tucomnvms1 View Post
I hope for the sake of the writer of the article, that he never runs into Kimbo.

1st of all, Kimbo has displayed the upmost class since becoming an MMA fighter. When you watch his interviews, he is articulate & respectful.

If Kimbo wants to wear gold teeth, that is his business. The only thing I care about is whether a person respects other people & Kimbo does respect other people. So more power to him to wear what he wants to!

People need to stop talking trash about Kimbo.
So, if Kimbo has the "upmost class" (although i think you meant utmost?) as you say, why should Granderson worry about running into him? Is that how classy guys do it, they beat up their critics? The fact that you imply that Granderson should be afraid of running into Kimbo just helps demonstrate Granderson's point, in fact.
__________________
His helmet was stifling, it narrowed his vision. And he must see far. His shield was heavy. It threw him off balance. And his target is far away.
HexRei is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 

Old 05-04-2008, 02:19 PM   #22 (permalink)
Cheesy Poofs
 
stitch1z's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 1,588
stitch1z Is Respected By All He Crossesstitch1z Is Respected By All He Crossesstitch1z Is Respected By All He Crossesstitch1z Is Respected By All He Crossesstitch1z Is Respected By All He Crossesstitch1z Is Respected By All He Crossesstitch1z Is Respected By All He Crossesstitch1z Is Respected By All He Crossesstitch1z Is Respected By All He Crossesstitch1z Is Respected By All He Crossesstitch1z Is Respected By All He Crosses
Quote:
Originally Posted by vandalian View Post
Granderson is finding support for his argument where it doesn't exist. His description of the Gannon fight as "pretty close to a lynch mob environment" is silly. I doubt there were so many black guys in ball caps at hanging out at actual lynchings, and that any of those lynchings actually took place in a gym.
I'm not sure, so don't scold me, but I didn't feel like that actual comment was meant to be taken as another slavery or pre-black rights metaphor.

Quote:
Lynch Mob: a group of people who capture and hang somebody without legal arrest and trial, because they think the person has committed a crime
I think he was actually referring to Kimbo's posse. They attacked Gannon almost everytime he started winning. In fact if you look back at some of Kimbo's other "street fight" videos, his crew rush in anytime he gets in trouble.

I wonder if they will all rush into the cage when JT GnP's Kimbo out? lol.
__________________



Don Frye's Mustache > Kimbo's Beard
stitch1z is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2008, 04:39 PM   #23 (permalink)
Super Heavyweight
 
jasvll's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Posts: 4,104
jasvll Is Beloved By Alljasvll Is Beloved By Alljasvll Is Beloved By Alljasvll Is Beloved By Alljasvll Is Beloved By Alljasvll Is Beloved By Alljasvll Is Beloved By Alljasvll Is Beloved By Alljasvll Is Beloved By Alljasvll Is Beloved By Alljasvll Is Beloved By All
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fedor>all View Post
I know that he's not a music critic, but I just find it strange that people are acting like Kimbo is a sole proprietor of stereotypes when they're constantly being upheld by mainstream society anyway, especially with regard to the arts (music, film, television, etc).
Here you go:
http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/page2...nderson/071203
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe Rogan
That longing to return to the retarded past can only be born of some collective, subconscious, internal desire to try to turn back the clock on humanity and halt our obvious progression towards the inevitable zombie apocalypse of 2012.
jasvll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2008, 05:17 PM   #24 (permalink)
Bantamweight
 
BrFighter07's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Framingham Ma
Posts: 921
BrFighter07 is a glorious beacon of lightBrFighter07 is a glorious beacon of lightBrFighter07 is a glorious beacon of lightBrFighter07 is a glorious beacon of lightBrFighter07 is a glorious beacon of lightBrFighter07 is a glorious beacon of lightBrFighter07 is a glorious beacon of lightBrFighter07 is a glorious beacon of lightBrFighter07 is a glorious beacon of lightBrFighter07 is a glorious beacon of lightBrFighter07 is a glorious beacon of light
Quote:
Originally Posted by stitch1z View Post
I'm not sure, so don't scold me, but I didn't feel like that actual comment was meant to be taken as another slavery or pre-black rights metaphor.

I think he was actually referring to Kimbo's posse. They attacked Gannon almost everytime he started winning. In fact if you look back at some of Kimbo's other "street fight" videos, his crew rush in anytime he gets in trouble.

I wonder if they will all rush into the cage when JT GnP's Kimbo out? lol.
only problem with that is Thompson will probably lose lol, but the writer does make some interesting points. while I dont agree with all of them and find some to be a tad extreme he is right that Kimbo is playing the stereotypical african american. This not only looks bad for his race but for our sport if the face of our sport becomes a street fighter
__________________
Team Link Member

NPFFL: Evan Dunham, Daniel Cormier, Jim Miller, Cole Konrad
BrFighter07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2008, 05:25 PM   #25 (permalink)
Amatuer
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Posts: 124
ralphbenjamin has a little shameless behaviour in the past
JT is going to lose, badly. Kimbo is going to come out very aggressive throwing bombs, and JT will crumble.
ralphbenjamin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2008, 05:42 PM   #26 (permalink)
Users Awaiting Email Confirmation
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: In your mom's box
Posts: 663
Pr0d1gy will become famous soon enoughPr0d1gy will become famous soon enoughPr0d1gy will become famous soon enoughPr0d1gy will become famous soon enoughPr0d1gy will become famous soon enoughPr0d1gy will become famous soon enoughPr0d1gy will become famous soon enoughPr0d1gy will become famous soon enoughPr0d1gy will become famous soon enoughPr0d1gy will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by leviticus View Post
"Of course, the pain of it all is somewhat dulled by the fact that none of this is really new. Ever since the first House Negro spied on the Field Negroes in exchange for a clean pair of pants, it seems the jealousy and selfishness within my community has always played a key role in hindering its progress."

I don't know what I find more humorous, the fact that Gunderson is lambasting Kimbo in a self-righteous rant about critical race theory in his sports column; or the fact that he basically props Kimbo as being a representative of his [Gunderson's] community. Kimbo represents "the black community" as much as David Duke represents "the white community. That is to say neither guy "represents" all people who share their skin color in common.

Gunderson is a blowhard. His dropping mindless references to coons, lynch mobs, and field slaves only serve to show how little he knows. I seriously can't stand blowhards like Gunderson. There are still plenty manifestations of racism and racial politics [read democratic race]. But by writing drivel like this gunderson is simply crying wolf. Kimbo is marketing himself to make money, how much of his persona is his creation and how much of it is things that other people have attributed to him?

Gunderson needs save the sermon for something that actually matters

That is one of the best posts I have read here. Nice lyricism and flow.
Pr0d1gy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2008, 10:05 AM   #27 (permalink)
Bantamweight
 
nissassagame's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Canada
Posts: 584
nissassagame has a spectacular aura aboutnissassagame has a spectacular aura aboutnissassagame has a spectacular aura aboutnissassagame has a spectacular aura aboutnissassagame has a spectacular aura aboutnissassagame has a spectacular aura aboutnissassagame has a spectacular aura aboutnissassagame has a spectacular aura aboutnissassagame has a spectacular aura aboutnissassagame has a spectacular aura aboutnissassagame has a spectacular aura about
I laugh at espn's decision to glamourize this slice moron. couldnt they have focused on a real mma guy as opposd to promoting the fight club, street crap? sad. or even if they wanted badly to cover a hard knocks ghetto fighter story, maybe hit up rampage, who has actually done something other than youtube crap.
nissassagame is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2008, 01:40 PM   #28 (permalink)
Banned
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Posts: 385
SideWays40 will become famous soon enoughSideWays40 will become famous soon enoughSideWays40 will become famous soon enoughSideWays40 will become famous soon enoughSideWays40 will become famous soon enoughSideWays40 will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by recon6991 View Post
Hes pretty damn rough on Kimbo... Sideways do you have a source for that? I remember a while ago when Kimbo signed with EliteXC a show on ESPN was about Kimbo training with Bas (The same show where Tito said he would get his ass kicked fighting legit guys). I thought they said he dropped out of highschool...
I kinda forgot when i read about that. Im not positive but id bed Wikipedia has it on there. I know wikipedia isnt credible but i heard it somewhere else cuz i havent even searchd for kimbo on wikipedia unless im looking if he has any new street fights.
SideWays40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply



Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are On

VerticalSports
Baseball Forum Golf Forum Boxing Forum Snowmobile Forum
Basketball Forum Soccer Forum MMA Forum PWC Forum
Football Forum Cricket Forum Wrestling Forum ATV Forum
Hockey Forum Volleyball Forum Paintball Forum Snowboarding Forum
Tennis Forum Rugby Forums Lacrosse Forum Skiing Forums
Copyright (C) Verticalscope Inc SEO by vBSEO 3.3.2
Powered by vBulletin Copyright © 2000-2009 Jelsoft Enterprises Limited.
vBCredits v1.4 Copyright ©2007, PixelFX Studios